Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Long Long Boon-dock

OK. The Zombie Apocalypse is upon us. Besides adequate food, water, propane, solar, and a good cook what other amenities are required for your (or our) survival in a boon-dock for 30 days? We plan to kick back, read a few good books, study the night sky, listen to music, hike a bit, maybe fish a babbling brook, and nap frequently. Where is your favorite boon-dock area for an adventure such as this?
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
1. BLM land in the vicinity of the San Rafael Swell in Utah for spring or fall. Stay away from Moab, too crowded.

2. North bank of Coeur d'Alene river on BLM land in Northern Idaho in the summer.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #3
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Ditto on the San Rafael Swell. For folks sort-of familiar with driving I-70 between Green River and Salina, Utah, it's the part posted as having no services for 105 miles. The South San Rafael Swell (i. e., south of I-70) is more popular, so we tend to go to the north part, camping in and around the primitive BLM campground in Buckhorn Draw at the San Rafael bridge.

This is probably not best done in the heat of the summer, though. We were there once when the daytime high was 107F. Spring and Fall would be the best times. There are designated dispersed campsites in Buckhorn Draw and at the Wedge Overlook (of the Little Grand Canyon) but otherwise you can pretty much camp wherever it's not posted to the contrary.

No "babbling brooks" in the desert for fishing, unfortunately; but then this area is close to the Wasatch Plateau (between I-70 and US HY 40) which is up high enough to have a mountain type of climate. There are some primitive CG's up there, but a lot of camping in dispersed sites, also. The Skyline Drive is beautiful, but it's a dirt road in places and depending upon when it was last graded, it may not be super for pulling a trailer.

For boondocking, the main thing to consider INMHO is your water sources. These are "dry" sites. If you've got that babbling brook, maybe you can siphon out some water into a jerry can and then pour it through a funnel into your tank. Hint: a few smaller (super-sturdy) jerry cans are easier to carry than one big one when full. Also if one springs a leak, you still have potable water in the others.

But you should treat the water. Giardia is all over the place, and then there is a lot of livestock grazing (and pooping) on BLM and USFS land. Including in primitive CGs and dispersed campsites.

The other thing, if you're out for a long while, is waste water disposal. No sani-dumps in the Back Of Beyond. You can probably get by with discrete dumping of gray water a ways off from your campsite (bring a bucket) but the black water requires proper sanitary disposal. Then cleaning up after black water requires more water.

For sure have your generator and extra gas for it unless you've got solar. A bucket, shovel, and heavy work gloves may come in handy. Ditto on a serious first aid kit.

Generally, if it's something you really count on, have a back-up for it. Like flashlights, ability to cook outside, spare clothes and bedding. If your electricity poops out, for example, what's plan B?

You may not have cell phone service in some of these areas.

Apologies if you know all of this already.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
1. BLM land in the vicinity of the San Rafael Swell in Utah for spring or fall. Stay away from Moab, too crowded.

2. North bank of Coeur d'Alene river on BLM land in Northern Idaho in the summer.
Lumatic, whereabouts exactly is your northern Idaho area? We live about 2.5 hours from Coeur d'Alene.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
Hmmmm
Intriguing question.
Reading, studying the night sky, and listening to music you can do anywhere.
That leaves hiking and fishing in a region with a mild climate...
I say head to a coast, and put your toes in some sand. Not sure where or how, but those hikes should be barefoot strolls up the beach, and chartering a deep sea fishing excursion wouldn't suck either.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I suppose it's possible to stay out longer, but since the main objective is to enjoy the trip, I prefer to plan for week long boondocking stays, followed by a couple of days in a spot where waste tanks can be dumped and water tanks refilled. By conserving resources, bringing supplemental drinking water, and making judicious use of what nature provides, I can stay out a week without undue stress or deprivation. The biggest concern is whether the human boondockers can stand each other for a week of relative isolation and close quarters. Having an adequate stock of wine seems to help in this regard. Dogs do fine; they probably don't even notice anything different from normal.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We spend extended time dry camping on a military base in Key West, Fla. While not remote at all and we have all necessary things nearby we are spending long periods with no hookups. We find our gray tank is the most limiting factor and that we can go 7 days. We do have a shower facility available that you likely will not have. A nearby cool spring or brook might serve in your case. We have been dry for as much as 4 wks and during that time will need to hook up every 7 days to empty our waste tanks and fill up fresh water. I have good batteries and a solar system to keep them charged. We use a small plug in inverter and can run a TV ( to watch a video) and run a desktop fan when we need it. Remote dry camping does add a whole new dimension but good planning is your friend here.

Good luck, sounds like a fine Airstream adventure

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robere View Post
OK. The Zombie Apocalypse is upon us. -- snip -- Where is your favorite boon-dock area for an adventure such as this?
Not going anywhere. House safer than the shiny which would attrach the Zs. Sounds like you are looking for a retirement site, but only if getting away is the goal. The long long road trip is why we got Glimmer. We want to visit places we could not go when working. That babbling brook and the fishing does have a special draw though. Is it deep enough to keep the Zs away? Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
As a big fan of the Walking Dead TV show, I've put some thought into where I would go to escape the greater Chicagoland area. Sometimes the people of Chicago are bad enough, much less if they turned into zombies.
I would travel to an island, and once it's cleared of zombies, it'd be a nice place to live.
I'm thinking Washington Island off the tip of Door County Wisconsin. The ferry can accommodate oversized vehicles, and there's an RV park with hookups out there. Zombies would freeze solid in the winter, and could be easily dispatched, and the fishing around there is dynamite.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Some people have pointed out that the Zombie apocalypse idea is just a metaphor for a collapse (pick your flavor and cause) of society & or Government... I read that quite a few years ago, and it is a useful thought exercise for any number of disaster scenarios . I find it thought provoking in that sense to be sure...

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I don't think you can hide from the drones that will be out hunting...
Old 04-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
You mean ‘electronic skeet’ right? I’m quite sure a shotgun and a good eye can solve that one....[emoji3]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote