Old 02-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westminster , California
We did a couple of similar but shorter trips a few years ago. Was nervous about tires, although ours were only a couple of years old, so borrowed a couple of spares (also just a couple of years old) for just in case. Made sure they fit on my axles before leaving. Other than that, the coach was in good condition, brakes and bearings just done, propane tanks within code, and had the usual number of spare fuses, bulbs and etc. on board. The usual story, the more prepared you are, the less likely you will have a problem. We had no problems at all. Good trips.

I usually carry some spare DEF for the truck but nowadays it's pretty common everywhere. Didn't want the "99 miles left" warning to come on when I was 100 miles to the next truck Stop.

My Garmin GPS was really useful, as was a selection of maps from Auto Club. Took notes along the way including mile points of truck stops, rest areas, campgrounds and misc attractions/sights.

Next trip, I plan to spend even more time stopping and smelling the roses though. This is a BIG country and there are LOTS of things to stop and see.

Have a great journey!
ralphcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Garden Grove , California
Thumbs up Thank you

Thanks to everyone for all the thoughts and ideas.

I used RVTrip Wizard (web based) just to get an idea of time and distance. We will definitely 'wing it' as we go. I looked into ALLSTAY app vs web based program. They don't appear to be too much different than RVTrip Wizard which is free. Has anyone had experience with both? If they are about the same, I'd rather not spend the extra money. Especially since most of the 'planning' will be in the trailer as we go. I am somewhat of a computer geek so i always have my laptop and wifi .

Another question...for those of you that travel with dogs, what do you do when you want to visit something/someplace where you can't bring the dogs? For example, museums, national/state park buildings, etc. We have 2 Whippets; they are used to doggy daycare so we were thinking if finding some as we travel. We are very reluctant to leave them in the trailer, not only because of getting into mischief but also most campgrounds not allow unattended pets.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #23
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Deerfield , Massachusetts
I think your map begs the question: what do you have against Colorado? :-)

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Garden Grove , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
I think your map begs the question: what do you have against Colorado? :-)
LOL, nothing against Colorado!! We've been there before so skipped it this time.