Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2021, 06:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Windsor Locks , Connecticut
Little Rock to Amarillo

Anyone drive I 40 from Little Rock to Amarillo, 600 miles and goal is to stay in Amarillo area. We thought of making it a longer day because our next stops are Albuquerque, the Petrified Forest, Sedona.
Spending a week or so in AZ, then Las Vegas and Southern Utah for a week. I’m towing a 19’ Flying Cloud Bambi and my friend has a 22’ RV, Ford E 350.
Long drive and wondering what’s traffic light, speed etc.
Last time I drove from Phoenix to Oklahoma City (eventually to CT) was in 2005 with my daughter who was doing a clinical in Phoenix. That was a tough ride in a Subaru Impreza!!!

Thank you for any input.
SteveS52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:59 PM   #2
Master Chief BT

2018 27' International
Tyler , Texas
Amarillo has The Big Texan Steakhouse after a long day of driving.....kind of a Texas thing to do is have steak there.....also nice RV park in Amarillo called the Route 66 RV Ranch. Nice all concrete level pad pull thru’s.....nice easy set up for Airstream. Good choice to overnight in Amarillo. Haven’t driven there from Little Rock so no help there.....sorry
WBCCI#11290
US Navy (ret) Master Chief Boiler Technician
BTCMUSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
We drove that way last summer. I40 and Route 66 is a nice way to go road condition is good and traffic is light. We really enjoyed the small towns along the way and the small town eateries. Can't comment on winter travel. If you're going early spring, watch for the weather fronts. Hail can be bad in West Texas in early spring.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Windsor Locks , Connecticut
Big Texan

I talked to my brother who lives in Bastrop about the Big Texan. He ate their once and he said it was very good. I know it’s a push driving but once we get to NM we will be closer to sights we want to see. First XCTRY trip with the new to us AS.
SteveS52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Twenty five years ago or so on a cross-country class roadtrip, we stopped and ate at the Big Texan in Amarillo... that meal was a fond memory from that trip. Good food. We ordered a bowl of calf fries, and all sat around staring at each other, who was going to try one first.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:51 PM   #6
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
We stayed in Big Texan RV Ranch in Amarillo this past summer. Only issue that prevents us from staying there again were the trains coming through all night long with the random horns going off from each one. They woke us up several times throughout the night.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:13 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
I40 Littlerock to Oklahoma City is a nice drive.

A 600 mile drive is a stretch. We only do that long of a drive if we are heading home and generally, that is a mistake. If you do this, get going at 6:00am or earlier and keep a steady pace.

KOA on East side of OKC is a great place to overnight. It is not your usual close to a highway business model KOA. It is close, but quiet.

There is a KOA in Amarillo, but it is next to a helicopter facility, beside a truck yard, and not far from a train track. The people are very nice. We were lucky. The train horns dropped off over night and there was no noise from the local commercial operations. YMMV

There is a Route 66 museum in Elk City, OK. Campground in town and KOA to the East. KOA has road noise. Get a spot in the back. We'll try the CG in town next time. Elk City makes a nice safety valve if you need to stop before you get to Amarillo.

The KOA in East Albuquerque is a nice place to overnight. Reasonably quiet. Great staff. Very helpful. American RV park on the West side is a nice park, but get a reservation. It is next to highway, but surprisingly quiet. Were not as helpful during Covid restrictions.

Not hard to average 50mph. However, we did see higher wind conditions West of Amarillo. Keep an eye on the weather.

Good luck with the trip.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:29 AM   #8

1969 27' Overlander
Lubbock , Texas
You could stay at Palo Duro Canyon State Park. The park is about 20 miles south of Amarillo just off of I-27. It’s a beautiful place.
69intl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
Don't miss Cadillac Ranch either if that is your thing. Right off of I40, in and out. Petrified Forest is awesome, especially if you take a walk into some of the trails. The Painted Desert part is beautiful also.
dentontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:31 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Orlando , Florida
ABQ is a pit, you will get panhandled, possibly held-up, don't go to any Wal-mart with your trailer - go to Acoma Sky City. If you do stop in ABQ - Marble Brewery, El Modelo, Giovanni's Pizza, Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, Fastinos, Acapulco Burritos are all quality places. If you were military stay on base, best gated community in the state, lousy camping facility.

I advise against descending from Flagstaff into Sedona on 89 through Oak Creek Canyon with a trailer, one of the best roads in the US to enjoy.
Andy Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Truck traffic awful as with many interstates. Be sure to get to Albuquerque in time to eat at one of the many restaurants with great green chile!
ttrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:21 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
We pull our Airstream from Little Rock to points W often. The last several times have taken I-30 to US82W in New Boston and take that excellent road all the way to US 287 and head N to Amarillo. Nocona is a nice halfway point stop if you don’t want to do the entire 600 in one day. Highlights along the route: 903 Brewing in Sherman; Haas Meat Market in Muenster (great cheeses, and all sorts of fresh sausage, etc. Nocona Brewing is okay as well. Cotton Gin RV just outside Quanah is right on 287 and is surprisingly nice, especially for an overnight.
2016 F250 KR 6.7 4x4 CC "Tex"
Members, NTAC
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:22 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
York , Pennsylvania
I've done it going both ways. A long day, but its a cross country get there from here part of the trip. Much better than I-70 and other E-W interstates; around OK City can be a little busy. The big texan is a great venue for the purpose, and the steak house restaurant is a great way to cap off the long drive. The RV park and the restaurant have a deal where they'll transport you to dinner without having to unhook. I'll do it every time.
Safe travels.
KMH25TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:01 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Cedar Hill , Texas
Drive I-40 and stop in at the BIG cross (Groom, Texas, Exit 112). You'll see it long before you get there. Lots more to see than just the BIG cross. Lots of parking and plenty of room for maneuvering your RV.
fthopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:29 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
Have done this route several times. In winter it can be icy so keep your weather eye peeled! There is much to see along this route so we take several days to drive it. OKC fun! Agree staying at Big Texan RV Ranch. Steak house good and gift shop very good! Have visited Washita National Battlefield (near TX/OK line) and strongly recommend. We stay at American RV when in ABQ. Regarding 600 miles in a day, we have done it, but it’s not fun. Suggest you consider taking more time on that drive. Have fun!
TinShanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:37 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Tallahassee , FL
Just watch the weather closely and carry a weather radio. Very CD and possibly snowy weather
Kawboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:20 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
DFW , Texas
X2 for Cotton Gin RV park for an overnight.
no_worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
We've been thru this stretch a few times...I 40 to/from Nashvile/key west to/from OR.
Found a great o'niter...city park W/ camping in Sayre, OK. Seems $12 w/e & dump. we came in from the west from a freeway camling sign, but left via the pilot back to the interstate. We parctically had the place to ourselves, plus just far enough off the fw...very quiet.

Ditto on the big texan. Good grub. Saw a guy finish the 65oz?? Challenge for the free meal. Gulp!
Old 01-22-2021, 04:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Palo Duro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69intl View Post
You could stay at Palo Duro Canyon State Park. The park is about 20 miles south of Amarillo just off of I-27. It’s a beautiful place.
I second this. Palo Duro is the second largest canyon in the US and only about 30 minutes from I-40 south of Amarillo. Beautiful views and great camp sites.

As for I-40, the road has been repaved in several places where it used to be pretty rough(especially west of LR) Quite a bit of semi-truck traffic but it keeps moving.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Texas Route 66 RV park in Shamrock TX is great place if you are headed west from Little Rock. Great price, good WiFi, long pull-thru sites, good water and super clean hot showers!! Doesnt get better than that!
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote