Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Redmond/Tucson , Oregon/Arizona
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Tri-Lev...e&sr=1-26&th=1
davetoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #22
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
BeechLane Levelers and RV Level 4 makes it simple for side to side as well as front to back. With RV Level 4 I can also determine my AS hitch height with no guess work for backing up the TV - make everything super easy.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #23
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
Two or three boards of varying thickness. Cheap. Easy to use. Easy to store.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
We use the Camco yellow and black levelers, much better and easier than the long Andersen’s for the tandem wheel trailer. Very quick to level.

Also have the orange Lynx plastic levelers for the stabilizers. They crack on gravel and when cold. Going back to wood. 6x2x8, prob will work and not quite as heavy as 8” wide.

Spirit level front and side, but will check out Levelmate pro, thanks for the suggestion.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by etojeo View Post
We done a few trips in our 25 Flying Cloud and have had great experiences and met some super people!
I've always been able to level the stream very well front to back with the hitch jack and stabilizer arms (I know there not for leveling...).
My issue is side to side - it seems every site's always off just a bit. I'm thinking of getting a pressure treated 2x6 or 2x8 and keeping it in the back of my truck for addressing these issues. That may be a bit much for some leveling, so what do you all recommend?
Thanks in advance!
Ed
We have always been very happy with the leggo style blocks others posted here...work well, have easy nylon storage bag, and easy to build up as needed...wife likes using these also. You will also need to get scissor type wheel chocks. Both on Amazon....cheap and no need to carry various size wood planks...unless you like wood of course! You do need to consider your "chocks" however, while on either wood or leggos...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by etojeo View Post
We done a few trips in our 25 Flying Cloud and have had great experiences and met some super people!
I've always been able to level the stream very well front to back with the hitch jack and stabilizer arms (I know there not for leveling...).
My issue is side to side - it seems every site's always off just a bit. I'm thinking of getting a pressure treated 2x6 or 2x8 and keeping it in the back of my truck for addressing these issues. That may be a bit much for some leveling, so what do you all recommend?
Thanks in advance!
Ed
Ed..... We use a board like you suggested along with a set of the Lego Block type levelers. This has given us enough room to level our 25' Airstream in some of the uneven sandy sites we have stayed at in Florida. If your on sand the Lego blocks will sink into the sand and not lift the trailer. We place the wooden board on the ground and build up the Lego Blocks on top of the wood base to reach the height needed. The Anderson curved levelers that someone suggested looks interesting, but I would be concerned that the wheels on that side will continually want to roll back down off the incline.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #27
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Anderson Levelers plus the LevelMate Pro app on your phone. Makes it a breeze to level side to side!
I concur

Anderson Levelers

LevelMate Pro
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Bingo!

We use 5/4x6 construction cedar scraps about 12" long. They are lightweight, can also be stacked staggered in layers to make a jack pad about 12" by 12", make great kindling for a campfire [easy to split with a hatchet], and are bio-degradable.

"Yuck" to most of the plastic alternatives listed here IMO.

Keep It Simple, Stu!

Peter

PS -- About leveling . . . most folks WAY overthink this for modern Airstreams IMO. The owner's manual says basically: "if the trailer feels level as you walk inside, it is level enough for the fridge." We use a small builder's level inside the main entry door for fore/aft and L/R.

KISS!
Ditto, we keep several 2x6 pieces of wood that my husband beveled and painted silver (of course) and several pieces of 1x6 also painted silver. We use a little plastic level inside the door on the kitchen counter to level fore/aft and left/right, and have been very happy with the simplicity of this "system." As long as the shower floor drains completely and the eggs in the skillet don't all run to one side - I'm good!
kathfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #29
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamDog View Post
Two or three boards of varying thickness. Cheap. Easy to use. Easy to store.
Don't hate me. I am not made of money either, BUT I cringe every time I hear the word "cheap" especially when it is for something as expensive as an Airstream.

Why wouldn't people just buy the best and cough up the dough when they already have purchasing or owning an AS?

Again, don't hate me. I am not made of money. I guess somethings can be inexpensive.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
The Anderson curved levelers that someone suggested looks interesting, but I would be concerned that the wheels on that side will continually want to roll back down off the incline.

They come with a chock that goes under the narrow end of the leveler so the wheel sits at the bottom of a valley. There’s no way for it to roll either direction. We have them and love them.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Here’s a tip we figured out, for those who still check level manually. At first we used the bubble on the tongue jack to check level, which works well for side-to-side level, but we found that once you put the jack down it can be inaccurate for front-to-back leveling due to torque on the jack post. For a bit we used a ball on the floor inside the trailer, but that was always getting lost and took two people or trips back and forth. Then it occurred to me there’s an app for that. On an iPhone if you open the Apple compass app, you can swipe over to a level feature. Then just set your phone on the A-frame and lower/raise the tongue jack until the phone shows 0° and turns green. I don’t have an Android, but I assume they have something similar.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' International
Nellysford , VA
burkesbunch

Been streaming for three to four years and now in a 27ft GT. Traveled cross country this spring. Have only needed to side level twice. Campsites were really bad - side hill lies as they say in golf. Anderson’s are convenient, quick and effective. Else, only leveled for comfort - fridge works no matter what. If campsite is really severe consider moving on. Have seen folks leveling with really poor material and dangerous situations not to mention hazards in hitching and unhooking.
burkesbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
These are very easy to use and store.
soling917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Anderson levelers

[QUOTE=Ephraim;2300541]https://www.amazon.com/s?k=B01LYQ1Z8...f=nb_sb_noss_2[/QUOTE

Agree with the above quote. Used the Anderson levelers for the last 3 yrs on our 25' FC. Very easy to use. Can be purchased on Amazon. Stacking blocks and blocks of wood are a pain. With the 1/4 moon shape of the levelers if you are not quite high enough you just pull forward slightly or if your too high you just back off slightly. No pulling completely off the wood blocks to add or take block away.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I carry several 2x6 and 2x8 pieces about 12" to 18" long. I use them to place under the stabilizers on grass or sand, and under the tires to level side to side and i've used them to build chocks. Most people seem to favor the plastic stuff but experience has taught me the value of variability. I can use them for many things.

I've used them for the stuff mentioned above. I've also built a deck over the concrete patio ankle buster that came up when my steps went down. I've used them to build support for a sanitary hose on strange configurations. I've also used them to start camp fires. Those plastic "leggo things" people buy smell REALLY BAD when you start fires with them. Driving a nail in them doesn't work either.

I always have plenty from projects around the house. They also sell them at just about every hardware store or big box retailer around the country.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
I cringe every time someone mentions Andersen's. How soon we forget!!!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224...np-179854.html

There are plenty of substitutes and pretty much all of the suggestions above work. Pick any one, including the several curved designs that mimic Andersen.

Whatever you do, don't buy from Andersen. Just my opinion.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
I cringe every time someone mentions Andersen's. How soon we forget!!!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224...np-179854.html

There are plenty of substitutes and pretty much all of the suggestions above work. Pick any one, including the several curved designs that mimic Andersen.

Whatever you do, don't buy from Andersen. Just my opinion.
The Anderson's had some reports of the plastic breaking, as well. The Beech Lane "copies" are better made. Caveat: I own the Beech Lane levelers.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I returned Andersen's because they were too long and jammed between the wheels on my 25'. Since then the company's owner desecrated a national park so I'll never support them again.

I bought Camco's version and used them a few times. But I mostly use pieces of 2x8 and plywood. Frequently all I need is the 1/2" plywood.

LevelMate Pro is great. My only complaint about it is that I have to restart it to get a new reading. I'll turn it on get a reading and by the time I shim the wheels it won't update. So I just restart it.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:40 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Love our Anderson’s

Took a couple of levels and the wife and I have it down now.

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Ulti...er-Gear-Duffel
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I gladly announce that I do not own any Andersen product.

I have 3 stacks of Lynx blocks, 3 Lynx caps, a set of chocks. You can never have too much of Lynx products. I bought them when Amazon had a great sale. $11.00 for the stack of 10 blocks. Couldn't resist the sale and never regretted it.

What I do when I arrive at the campsite, I take out my Craftsman leveler and check to see how level the site is. There I determine how much blocks I need to use. Stack as needed. At many sites, I do not need to use Lynx blocks but I always use 2 or 3 blocks under stabs and hitch jack (of course with caps on).

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote