Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #21
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
So, I just checked the Anderson leveler on Amazon. There are several complaints (One Star) and pictures about the levelers snapping in half. I was ready to buy a pair, but this stopped me.

Has anyone seen them snap in half?
I haven't experienced this happening, not to say it's not possible. But leveling blocks can break/deform and wood ramps certainly break into pieces, been there done that.

The Andersons are extremely durable, as you'll see when you get them. Very dense material and heavy. Also, they have a lifetime warranty, if one ever breaks they'll replace it. That should put your mind at ease.

They are the easiest way out there to level side to side. It's a snap. No pun intended.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I returned my Andersons. There wasn't enough space between the wheels for them to fit. I also thought they should be a bit wider to float on top of soft ground. I think they are a great idea, but they just didn't work for me.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #23
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
15 or 16 inch wheels could make it a tight fit for the andersons. In that case, up to a couple inches can be trimmed from the narrow end to get them to fit. Actually just two of the four would need trimming, as only one is between the axles on each side.

As an aside, you can put them in front of the tires and pull up onto them, or behind and back on.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
I switched to 15" wheels and tires on my 23' and the andersons fir better!
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #25
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLee View Post
I switched to 15" wheels and tires on my 23' and the andersons fir better!
That actually makes sense. Bigger 'angles' between the tires and the ground in that case allowing more room. Thanks for that input!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Since we're often boondocking, we take 2 x 6 and 4 x 6 wood sections with the ends cut at a 45 degree slant. This makes it easy to deploy substantial amounts of leveling if needed. Note that if a 2 x 6 is too much, just placing it under one wheel on one side is perfect.

We use X chocks to help keep the trailer from moving, and place traditional chocks on the low side if we're fighting a fore-aft hill too.

When jacking the trailer off the hitch ball, we leave the safety chains connected in case the trailer decides to go for a ride.

Wood is strong and relatively cheap. You can paint it silver if you like, or stain it to match your favorite campground dirt .

- Bart
After fooling around with various plastic contraptions we returned to wood and X chocks as the most stable and as simple leveling as anything. Also use a wood block under the tongue jack. They stack easily in the truck bed.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Anderson levelers

After using Anderson levelers for a while I cannot imagine them snapping in two.

After camping in well over a hundred campsites the last 15 years, and walking around enjoying the sites throughout the camps I marvel at the way campers put their units up only tiny pyramid of pieces of wood and consider that stable.

Ahh to each his own.

LynnSr
lynnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
You can use the andersons to change a tire. I have done it. You have to get it at the peak height and it is tight. But they work for that.

I agree that I can't see these breaking unless you run over them wrong with a dual axel when getting no off them. You just have to go slow and be careful.

Also, I was at one campsite where i needed to put a wider base of legos under the Anderson's as the ground was very wet and soggy. But it worked.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #29
Sol
ItchyFeet

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fuquay Varina , Wake County
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
So, I just checked the Anderson leveler on Amazon. There are several complaints (One Star) and pictures about the levelers snapping in half. I was ready to buy a pair, but this stopped me.

Has anyone seen them snap in half?

You are maybe looking at a different one. The Amazon site 911patriot above posted has 4 stars. I've been using the Andersen and love them. Also I got X-chocks to reduce bouncing problems which helped a lot. This was thanks to many fellow ASers who recommended using X-chocks.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #30

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Mine fit fine between my dual axles on my 25ft AS. I stand the one on an angle that is between the tires. Not sure how it lays down as I pull forward my wife takes care of that part.
I can see someone snapping one in two while pulling on to the Levelers. The one between the two tires could get wedged against the forward tire thus taking the weight trailer while suspended between the tire and ground.
You just need to line the leveler up correctly making sure it doesn't wedge up against the forward tire.
Otherwise they are a solid piece of plastic and don't see how they can snap without abuse.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Also, they fit between the dual tires on my 2017 23D. It has 15 inch tires
Old 09-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
15 or 16 inch wheels could make it a tight fit for the andersons. In that case, up to a couple inches can be trimmed from the narrow end to get them to fit. Actually just two of the four would need trimming, as only one is between the axles on each side.

As an aside, you can put them in front of the tires and pull up onto them, or behind and back on.
I have 16" wheels. But I bought them when they first came out. I wasn't willing to cut them down to see if it worked and be stuck with them if it didn't. And it also seemed that they could easily jamb when backing off them.

Also, why would you need to put them on both sides of the trailer? I just don't get that.

But I do ski PC a lot.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:22 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I've been thinking about installing the Ground Control TT leveling system on my 30 Classic. Although, I haven't been hearing too many good things about Lipert products.

Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #34
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
Ditto Anderson
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #35
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post

Also, why would you need to put them on both sides of the trailer? I just don't get that.

But I do ski PC a lot.
Good God I cannot believe I even wrote that! Oh man. Rough Day I guess. I indeed only have 2 of them for my double-axle, and use them only on one side.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #36
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
I have 16" wheels. But I bought them when they first came out. I wasn't willing to cut them down to see if it worked and be stuck with them if it didn't. And it also seemed that they could easily jamb when backing off them.

But I do ski PC a lot.
You only need 1 side !

Lynnsr
lynnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:58 PM   #37
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsr View Post
You only need 1 side !

Lynnsr
Except if you're boondocking and need to lift both side of the trailer to clear enough room to level the trailer fore and aft.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Anderson Leveler & Chock Kit

Quote:
I returned my Andersons. There wasn't enough space between the wheels for them to fit. I also thought they should be a bit wider to float on top of soft ground. I think they are a great idea, but they just didn't work for me.
We upgraded to 16" tires and the Anderson Levelers fit between the tires. We start by wedging the leveler to the side of the front tire and then it slips over into place. No problemo.
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Super-strong Polymer ramp for a tire change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
You can use the andersons to change a tire. I have done it. You have to get it at the peak height and it is tight. But they work for that.

I agree that I can't see these breaking unless you run over them wrong with a dual axel when getting no off them. You just have to go slow and be careful.

Also, I was at one campsite where i needed to put a wider base of legos under the Anderson's as the ground was very wet and soggy. But it worked.
Along with the Anderson levelers, we travel with the Trailer-Aid Tire Changing Ramp. The man at the remote tire shop loved it when we brought our AS in with a blow out.
https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-T...+for+flat+tire
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
FRISCO , TX
I had one snap on the second use. Having double axles then put me in an awkward position. I've gone back to the lego bricks which have never failed me.