Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Leaving Escalante...

It’s time to hit the road and explore again but it’s hard to leave the small town we’ve lived just outside for almost seven months. Several years ago there was an obscure video game where the player controlled a rolling mass, sending it in any direction while everything in its path stuck to its surface - think of a growing snowball with velcro. That’s how I see life on the road the past 23 months - collecting experiences, friends, and memories everywhere we’ve parked our trailer.

We’re not the adventurers that several of our friends are but sometimes being outside was good enough. Sometimes staying put a couple seasons to make new friends and learn the rhythms of a small town can result in a different way of living - something off one’s old path, especially to former suburbanites like my wife and myself. Oh sure, small town residents have many of the same ups and downs of big town residents but life is stripped down to a level of simplicity that eliminates the superfluous distractions…and there’s worth in that. Take some time and go find your Escalante. It’s worth it.

(This is more of a personal thank you video to our friends. Many of these photos have been posted elsewhere but I thought I’d post the video anyway because it offers some local flavor of Escalante.)

westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks again for your exceptional way with words.

Travel safe, you two, and we'll await your next adventure.

Maggie
Old 09-19-2016, 06:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
^. What Maggie said, as well as excellent video production.
Beautiful, and I love that first song. Shades of Simon and Garfuncle.

Thanks for sharing you adventures so well.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Beautifully said……

A very nice video, great music choice. Seeing your friends with the surrealistic backdrops was great, but I'm glad that you included some close ups of nice smiling faces.

There is another thread on the forum, right now, that suggests people stay put a while, and as my brother worded it, " It takes at least three days to melt into an environment."

The photos of your four legged friends got me choked up a bit, as I have said goodbye to a few. They knew that I loved them, I know that they loved me, but there is no way to tell them that I am alive and doing well, and that I miss them.

Although a bit sad, there is a wealth in missing friends and places. Revisiting them is a wonderful gift, waiting to be unwrapped.

Even so, I feel like saying goodbye will be one of my least favorite parts of living on the road.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote