Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2023, 11:14 AM   #1
BML
1 Rivet Member

2024 28' Pottery Barn
FRESNO , CA
Leave plugged in

I'm a 100% newbie to AS, first trip coming p next week. If we take off from our site for a day, or evening, do people leave their AS plugged in, tables out, etc.. I'm thinking about my 50AMP cord being taken, etc.. What do people do ?

Thank you all for the information on here, I've learned a lot getting ready for my first trip

2024 Pottery Barn 28" RQB
Bryan Large
BML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I leave everything out and have never had a problem. Not to say you won't but there aren't many posts where camper items have been stolen or vandalized. I would stow or lock any valuable items, such as high quality bikes, generator, etc.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes. We leave it plugged in, hooked up, and tables out in most camping situations. So far, so good. I keep the Yeti cooler in the truck and the generator in the truck or maybe out chained to the trailer. So far, so good. Boondocking and remote Forest Service sites and Indian Reservation sites get a little more consideration from me.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Used to worry at the beginning, now after a few years we leave our set up stuff out. Never had an issue thankfully. We look around, seems pretty much everybody leaves their stuff out.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Turn your water OFF at the campground faucet ….so that a leak or broken pipe inside your trailer doesn’t find you returning to the AS and seeing water running out the door.

Also, be certain your internal Pump is OFF.

WE leave things hooked up otherwise, depending on the looks of the campsite… and also…this is a good reason to meet/greet your new neighbors at campgrounds …so they’ll know if it’s You or some stranger taking at interest in your stuff.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Really depends on where you are camping and for how long, IMHO. We have never had an issue in any of the National or State Parks leaving our stuff out. We also do leave our AS plugged in/hooked up without any issues over past 20+ years of RV camping. The smaller generators and Ebikes can be a concern in some locations from time to time. There was an incident in Glacier several years ago, where there was a guy who would walk thru the campsites with a walki talki and a guy in a pickup following him a bit of a distance back. The guy walking would alert where he saw a generator, and the pickup would pull up, load up, and be gone; This would happen early morning...they did get caught by the way. But to be safe with the generator and the Ebikes, we do keep them cabled to the wheel of the AS or to the A frame. We also bought a black BBQ cover which we throw over the Ebikes so as not to draw attention when we leave. Yeti chairs, ICECO electric cooler, table, and even Webber BBQ (where these are allowed to be out over night of course) we have never had an issue. (some parks will not allow any food items to be left out due to bear issues...including Glacier, Teton, Yellowstone)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Congratulations! I bought a cable for our external solar panels and one for our power monitor several years ago but I haven't bothered to use them for a while (don't tell anyone). There's a discussion here which you can get a wide range of perspectives on leaving stuff. Now those very nice Pottery Barn accessories, humm.... where are you going on that first trip?
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:54 AM   #8
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I agree with those who have already posted. And I especially agree with getting to know your neighbors in the campground.

We have never had an issue with anything "walking" away. But then we try not to tempt anyone either.

Have fun on your first trip. Where are you going? Just curios.
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:36 PM   #9
BML
1 Rivet Member

2024 28' Pottery Barn
FRESNO , CA
We live in Central Valley of CA - heading to Avila Beach, Ca.. New Flying flags RV park set up on the ocean. Thanks to everyone for the advice, I'll be eyeballing the place the first day or so to get the feel.
Old 12-05-2023, 02:39 PM   #10
BML
1 Rivet Member

2024 28' Pottery Barn
FRESNO , CA
And yes The Pottery Barn came with lots of goodies.... all bedding, kitchenware, afghan's, outside table and chairs... trust me those items we're included in the price... but YOLO our new second home for sure!
Thanks again to everyone on AIRFORUMS, its really helped me prepare for the AS life