Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2016, 06:02 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Latest and Greatest Travel App for iPhone and iPad?

Getting ready to travel South very soon, and I am looking for the latest and greatest Travel App for my iPhone and iPad? Any suggestions?
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Allstays Camp & RV app works for locating campgrounds etc. If you are looking for a good RV/Truck GPS system I do not have a good answer, however, I am interested in what others have to say.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 02-19-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Allstays, all the information is available free from other sources but it is nice to have it all in one place. For interested military folks their Military Campground app is free.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Columbia , South Carolina
Google maps is what we use. We like that it now shows red when there is traffic, and that it also shows road closures. If you are traveling on routes you have never been on, you could also use Msps 3D to see a 3D topo veiw of the route. We took an alternate route years back that lead us into a windy steep road that we would have avoided if we would have know how bad it was.
I am curious to hear what others are using!
dazwelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:42 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron A View Post
Allstays Camp & RV app works for locating campgrounds etc. If you are looking for a good RV/Truck GPS system I do not have a good answer, however, I am interested in what others have to say.
AllStays actually has several apps, including "Camp & RV" to locate campgrounds, "Truck & Travel" to locate truck stops, "Overnight Parking Walmart" to find any Walmart and indicate if it allows overnight parking, "Camp & Tent" for those people looking for tent-only campgrounds, "RV Dumps" to locate dump stations, "Rest Stops Plus" to locate highway rest areas, "Military Camp & RV" for military campgrounds, "Finding Costco" to find Costco stores, and a few others.

They all work together as well. If you load multiple AllStays apps onto your phone and/or tablet, you can display them all on the same map at the same time, or use the "filter" function to only display the categories you want to see. No need to switch from one app to the next to find campgrounds and Walmarts, for example.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Another vote for AllStays.

I also love the PocketEarth app for navigation, which allows you to drop colored bullets at locations of your choice, also tracks your movement real-time, internet signal or not.

Maggie
Old 02-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #7
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Allstays (RV and Truck), Campendium(web), Public Lands (not much in the east).

Web links - each states DOT site for road conditions, Harvest Hosts, Days End, Recreation.Gov, USFS
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
Another great app for selecting individual campsites to reserve (or for just getting a feel for the atmosphere of a campground) is CampsitePhotos.com. Not all campgrounds are included since it depends on uploads from individual campers but I am finding that more and more are. Many thanks to a dedicated individual(s?) here in SC who has uploaded photos of every single campsite for each of many of our state parks.

Steve
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Trucker Path is pretty good though not for finding campgrounds. It does have rest areas, fuel stops, overnight parking, rv dump stations, and links to websites for each. I use it along with Allstays.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
Someone else mentioned Harvest Host to me recently but it looks like their website has expired. It sounded like a great app.
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #11
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Campendium just celebrated their first year anniversary and they continue to get better. All-Stays is the classic.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Milton , Delaware
Harvest Hosts is alive and well. https://harvesthosts.com
Ecodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
We like and use Allstays. I also have found Googling RV campgrounds for towns and cities also works well to find some that are not on Allstays. I did that and found a fairly new and very nice campground near Alexandria, La that was not on Alstays. The owner told me that, at the present time, they could not afford to pay the required fee to be listed. Not every RV campground you will find on any website is as nice as advertised. We have come across some real dumps.
WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Farmville , Virginia
GPS for towing

Co-Pilot is a GPS system used by a lot of truckers. You can select your default vehicle and it will route you based on your vehicle's overall size. Google Maps has gotten us into to tight spots or taken us under low clearance bridges.
HoffmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
AllStays is a little costly and, frankly, a little over-engineered for me. What I would love to have and so far can't find is an app that works like Waze for RV'ers - I enter my destination and the app provides me with key information using knowledge from a small profile I would enter - type of TV, type of trailer, (or motorhome), my preferences for camping (we like a full service RV camp others like rest-stops or public parks), etc.. Then it would give me 3 alternatives by driving time based on traffic ahead & weather (not just miles). If I want to be set up and cooking dinner after 6 hours of travel then I have 2-3 parks I can stay at with a phone number and web address. I also get good spots to stop for gas given the mileage it would calculate based on my profile. It would also give me info on wind directly & speed. Hey - it's not there but I can dream!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
What about. . . .

What about tunnels or bridges that don't allow propane or other (non vehicle) gas tanks? Is there an app that warns you where these issues are?

And what exactly is the rule about pulling a trailer with propane tanks? Can you just not travel in certain tunnels / bridges or is it OK if you stop and turn the tanks off before going through / over?

What about the rules in Canada?

BTW, I recently made a camping reservation in NY and the owner warned me that anything labeled as a "Parkway" in NY is restricted to cars only - no trucks, trailers, RVs, etc. How is someone from out of the state supposed to know this?? Apparently it's a fairly new rule, which makes me wonder if the apps know about it. . . .
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
AllStays is a little costly and, frankly, a little over-engineered for me.
My philosophy on that is, you only have to buy it once, then the more you use it the less it costs per use. Allstays was one of the first apps I installed on my smartphone when I got it in November 2014, and I've used it many times since then not only for finding campsites for myself, but also for finding rally venues for my WBCCI unit.

Or look at it another way… the first time the app shows you a less expensive but acceptable quality campground in your destination area, the app has paid for itself by saving you money on camping fees.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:36 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1949 22' Liner
1959 18' Traveler
Seal Rock , Oregon
iExit helps with knowing what is coming up at each exit off the highway
Sealrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
Allstays

WOW
Just now downloaded the Allstays app
As always great information on this forum
This falls under the "things I didn't know I needed"
I paid the 9.99 (the price of 4 gallons of gass)
Looked at and used the app for a few minutes and I like what I see
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
I use two applications - AllStays to review/choose places to camp along the way, and InRoute to plot route alternatives. If you choose to enter projected layover times, InRoute calculates arrival days/times for each stop along your route. (I used this feature last year when we had a inflexible arrival deadline for one of our destinations, 2500 miles away - otherwise, I don't bother). InRoute also provides snapshot views of elevations and weather along the route.
phann is offline   Reply With Quote