Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Land Between the Lakes

Does anyone have a recommendation for a campground in the Land Between the Lakes region? I have plenty of campground resources, so I am looking for a recommenation for a camp that someone stayed in and thought was great!

Thanks much.

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Hillman Ferry Campground

Stayed at the Hillman Ferry Campground (Kentucky side) on my way to the factory and really enjoyed it. Beautiful sites, lots of trees, and mine happened to be right on the water! Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.lbl.org/CAMPHillman.html

Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydc
Does anyone have a recommendation for a campground in the Land Between the Lakes region? I have plenty of campground resources, so I am looking for a recommenation for a camp that someone stayed in and thought was great!

Thanks much.
There are 5 campgrounds in LBL that I am aware of. They are Piney, Hillman Ferry, Energy Lake, Wranglers Campground and LBL Big Pine. I made the mistake of pulling into LBL Big Pine thinking it was Piney. It had a small country store, a few cabins for rent and a number of gravel sites shaded by trees. The sites were very close together and there was no shower room. It is 2 miles from the South LBL entrance by LBL Bait and just past Cindy's Catfish Restaurant. While the people were very nice, I can't say it would be my first choice but I would stay there if the other campgrounds were full.

Wrangler's Campground is located in the middle of LBL 5 miles south of the Golden Pond Visitor Center and Planetarium. I stayed in one of the 4 person cabin at Wranglers Campground. It didn't have a commode or washbasin but this has been 5 years ago so who knows what has happened by now. It did have a shower/washroom and it was pretty clean as were the cabins. The campground had Basic sites, Electric sites, Electric/Water sites and Electric/Water/Sewer sites. They even had seperate areas for Group/Electric sites. There were shower buildings, activity courts, horse rental, an Outpost, a Pavilion, playground, large & small rustic shelters and a dump station. Nice place best I can remember. Call 270-924-2044 for reservations. Last prices I had were $12 for Basic, $16 for Electric, $18 Electric/Water, $20 Electric/Water/Sewer. Water is not available November through March on campsites, but is available at the fill stations.

Piney, Hillman Ferry and Energy Lake have modern hookups as well as bathrooms/showers. Piney and Hillman Ferry have Outposts (stores) and mountain bike rentals. Piney has camping shelters. Piney is located 1.8 miles on Fort Henry Road west of the South Welcome Station. It is right on Kentucky Lake and is real nice. The boat launch area just south of Piney if not in the campground.

Energy Lake Campground is located north of Golden Pond Visitor Center on Energy Lake which is part of Lake Barkley. There is a boat launch area there.
I don't remember much about it. Call 1-800-525-7077 or (502)924-2000 for information on all these campgrounds or go to www.lbl.org

There are a number of other campgrounds without hookup at LBL. Rushing Creek Campground, Coulson Hollow Group Camp, Turkey Bay Off-Highway Vehicle Area, Birmingham Ferry/Smith Bay, Cravens Bay, Fenton and Gatlin Point. Hope this helps.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

stay wherever but eat at cindys catfish rest.

roger
roger n cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:06 AM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
squeel!

Quote:
I made the mistake of pulling into LBL Big Pine thinking it was Piney.
been there done that, it was like the campground from "deliverance" .

the owner said "sure don't git many of them shiney trailers in here" and to top it off, that area is "dry". good thing i always travel with plenty of millers on board!

i stopped to get some backup brewskis out at the interstate and when i asked "where the hell is the beer?" i was greeted with a shrug. and the girl at the counter said "fourty miles this way or fourty miles that way" pointing at the highway!

so be forewarned and stock your fridge accordingly!

john
Old 01-14-2006, 08:14 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
Hillman Ferry

We really like Hillman Ferry, particularly the last loop to the south near the water. The sites are large and shaded and have full hookups.

If you're there, don't miss Patty's 1880s Homestead restaurant just to the north of the entrance to LBL. The food is outstanding, and we make a point to call a day ahead to order their Dutch apple pie any time we go through the area so we can pick it up and have it as dessert throughout our trip. When we passed through on the way to Florida back in November, our pie was warm and waiting when we got there!
Old 01-14-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
It depends on if you are going to LBL as a destination or just a stop over. There a lot of campgrounds in LBL (actually between the lakes) as well as outside the official LBL which are privately owned. There are some within minutes of I-24 while some would be 1 hour away or more.

All campgrounds are usually closed at least until the first of March and some until April 1st.

Whichever you are doing I totally agree on the stop at Patty's in Grand Rivers KY. The 3/4 inch porkchop is outstanding.

Greg
Old 01-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midamrail

If you're there, don't miss Patty's 1880s Homestead restaurant just to the north of the entrance to LBL. The food is outstanding
if they dont serve beer, john wont go......
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:18 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
Actually even though Kentucky is known for it's Bourbon more of the the state is "Dry" than is "Wet". Patty's is in a "Dry" county.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:40 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
You can't go wrong w/ hilman ferry. They do not take reservations during the summer season. Its first come, first serve. You shouldn't have any problem this time of year though. The sites to the south are the best as there are more of them on the water and in the trees. Further west outside of the lbl there are other campsites. Exit off of western ky pkwy on hwy 461 through Eddieville and follow it to over the bridge at cumberland river and over the damn at tennessee river and go south along west side of ky lake to Draeffenville and take hwy 68 south to aurora and kenlake marina for other campsite options. The newest campsite I am aware of is at the north end of lbl. Turn off hwy 461 at grand rivers to south on trace rd. Its just past Green turtle bay resort on the left. they take reservations there. I love the whole area as I grew up in Southern Indiana and spent my youth fishing Kentucky and Barkley lakes.
Wayne
wayne.yl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:23 PM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Page and I also enjoyed Hillman Ferry. It was a nice, quiet, and attractive campground. (In fact, we were pleased to meet barkingspider there - he was heading North, we were returning East from CO). We especially enjoyed visiting the Farmstead a few miles South. We found the campground to be clean, and the staff friendly.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Thanks for all the replies! I plan on spending a week in the region and, as you all know, it is always better to have a first hand recommendation for a campgound. How many times have I researched a campgound only to arrive an realize it is nothing like the advertisement!

It looks like Hillman Ferry is the place to stay.

Thanks again for all the replies!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
Anything new on LBL campgrounds?
tcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Well, I've got good news and bad news. The good news is we stayed at a state (national?) campground at LbtL's in 2009 and have pictures. The bad news - can't remember the campground. I do know that it was a LONG dirt road off the major road to get to the campground.

Great place for kayaks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8341 (Large).JPG
Views:	241
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	119891   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8313 (Large).JPG
Views:	198
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	119892  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8309.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	119893   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8306 (Large).JPG
Views:	396
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	119894  

2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
undetermined , Washington
Stayed in one of those campgrounds in a camper last year after it had been flooded. Worst place we stayed by far. I was out of the truck with my dogs for about three minutes and we were COVERED in ticks!
Picked several off of my dogs and two off of my mom and one off of me.
It was terrible!
Hope you have a better visit than I did
MonaxLisa is offline   Reply With Quote