Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Talking KOA's SUCK

Your very kind!!
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Maybe we should start a new thread titled "KOA Reviews." I've got some good experiences at KOAs around here, but I hate to post them on a "KOA's suck" thread.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #43
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
It looks to me like a lot of campground reviews could be filled out by the folks posting on this thread. Why not swing over to the reviews forum (third tab from the right) and submit a review for campground you are familar with? Someone will be glad you did.
As Rodney suggested, if you have positive or negative experiences at a KOA (or ANY campground), please share them in the forums reviews section. That way they'll be easily accessible to anyone who may need them. This is a great resource for all of us!
Old 06-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #44
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I led the charge with a review of the Wildwood KOA, more to follow.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:12 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
I agree that KOAs are a last choice resort. (Pun intended) They are, as has been described, the McCamping experience. At one we stayed at, the manager ran out and snarled at Bill that dogs were permitted only in the dog walk area. I guess they must expect campers to telport their dogs there because Bill was walking the dog on a leash from the trailer to the dog walk area. Sheeesh.

Then there was the KOA we went to after being kicked out of Seacliff that wanted a whopping $75 a night!
Old 06-14-2007, 05:55 PM   #46
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
I agree that as a destination KOA is probably not a very good choice. However, as a place to stop at the end of a day of traveling I say they are hard to beat. We have stayed in over 100 KOA's in the last few years and there is only one I wouldn't return to (Gallop New Mexico). A lot of them are older and most are not fancy (although some, such as the Mt Rushmore, SD KOA are quite fancy). However, they are almost always clean, the people are almost always friendly, and the people that stay at KOA's are usually good traveling neighbors. I have to admit that we have also stayed at State and National Parks that provided much nicer surroundings. However, we have hit a lot more BAD non-KOA's than KOA's in our travels. BTW - the KOA in Las Vegas New Mexico is quitre nice -- they even serve breakfast and sometimes dinner -- just ask El Guapo for his famous omelette!
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #47
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzy
I have to admit that we have also stayed at State and National Parks that provided much nicer surroundings. However, we have hit a lot more BAD non-KOA's than KOA's in our travels.
I agree, there are much worse rv parks than KOA. No sense slamming them all, just because of a few bad ones.
Any large organization gets usually more flack than individual businesses, simply because there's more of them, and more exposure. These days, with forums like this one, more gets exposed, but it's not necessarily always fair. One bad manager having a bad day at an otherwise mediacre KOA does not mean tha the whole chain sucks.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
First Time Out in a KOA

Picked up our new 08 321 Classic in NJ 2 weeks ago and stayed the third stop out at a KOA in Virginia Beach. Had all the books but we were out on business looking at Marinas, so did not look too deep. The first plot they put us on reaked of sewer back up. We asked to be moved and the faint smell still permeated the AS. The next morning after dumping black then gray it all cane back out again leaving me with a real mess. The "Volunteer KOAers liveaboards" shrugged and it seemed to me they were out of their league when it went beyound prunning the entrance flowers. We stayed in New Bern, NC KOA last week on a great lot that you can see the operator took pride in the layout and facilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newbern.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	39234  
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Love That New Bern KOA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimemet
We stayed in New Bern, NC KOA last week on a great lot that you can see the operator took pride in the layout and facilities.
We owned a place on the Neuse River just down river from the KOA and across the river from the lovely, colonial city of New Bern. We loved the view of the New Bern skyline from across the Neuse.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
We are at the Manchester KOA right now and will be here till Monday. We have been coming to this campground since 1989 and have seen the facilities and 2 different owners who've made vast improvements..we've had only good experiences at this particular franchise..the former ownners just sold to another owner and already there are new additions including a microwave in the camp kitchen, a brand new huge dog run,a huge bbque group grill, and a capaccino center..I think the experience good or bad or so-so is so dependant on the camp ground owners, the management and staff. I've been to many other KOA's and have had less than good experiences in other states.
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I have stayed in a whoping one. Somewhere in South Dakota off I-90. Spent one night on my way west. I could not find a Wal-mart or a truck stop. I was "not realy open" yet. I did not care. I was tired and park it plugged in and went to sleep. I did not even lower the jacks. I slept well that night. Not too near the highway not too near the train tracks. I looked at one near Mt Rushmore. They were not open either. I was barren and packed with spaces. I went down the road to a small family owned place. As a rule I avoid chains. Cookie cutter, and big business. I am more a mom and pop kind of place.
That wouldn't happen to be the one in Interior, SD. would it ? My friend Theo and I stayed there two years ago. It was a nice park then. The spaces where somewhat close together. The wireless signal was good. We saw an awesome lightning storm while we were parked there. I like the park, lots of shade trees and nice folks running the place.

We also stayed at the one in Hill, SD., closest to Mt Rushmore, Very nice too. I imagine it would be a zoo in the summer tho. Also good wireless.

These are the first times that I used the strength of the wireless signal to find a good campsite .

KOA's, great for use as a basecamp or if you have kids in tow !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:19 AM   #52
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
we have a stayed in several KOAs across the country and find them to be located near major highways. Some good ...some not so good. But our main complaint is cost....we have found if you join some of the discount membership parks you get not only better parks , but less expience than even state parks , etc.
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:19 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimemet
The next morning after dumping black then gray it all cane back out again leaving me with a real mess.
That happened to us at a camping resort. The staff however, responded like we were in a superfund site , and had everything cleaned up and the drain cleared quickly. Sometimes bad things even happen at great places.
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:42 AM   #54

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
We are at the Manchester KOA right now and will be here till Monday. We have been coming to this campground since 1989 and have seen the facilities and 2 different owners who've made vast improvements..we've had only good experiences at this particular franchise..the former ownners just sold to another owner and already there are new additions including a microwave in the camp kitchen, a brand new huge dog run,a huge bbque group grill, and a capaccino center..I think the experience good or bad or so-so is so dependant on the camp ground owners, the management and staff. I've been to many other KOA's and have had less than good experiences in other states.
This KOA sounds really nice. I have been keeping a list of the recommended KOA's for future reference. I want to add the Manchester KOA to my kist, but you didn't mention what state it is in.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #55
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
This KOA sounds really nice. I have been keeping a list of the recommended KOA's for future reference. I want to add the Manchester KOA to my kist, but you didn't mention what state it is in.
I bet it's the one in California: Manchester Beach KOA

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats

Cheers,
-jd.
I like the line at the end of their notes - "Pay particular attention to routes NOT RECOMMENDED!" Yeah, there's a few narrow, curvey roads up in there...
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:09 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
That's affirmative

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats

Cheers,
-jd.
Yes, it is in California..it's true, it is curvey coming through Boonville, but if you have a lot of time and patience and want to see beautiful Redwoods, this it the way!..we've come up on 1 and this route and both have advantages of scenic views..
Old 06-15-2007, 10:14 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
There's also a great KOA in Minnesota, maybe called Rochester. all sites are paved, with lots of green grass next to hwy 90..I think
Old 06-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Has anybody stayed at the KOA in Hagerstown, Maryland?
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:52 PM   #60
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Interesting; the majority of posts indicated that KOA's are clean, well managed facilities for use when a quick stop over is needed. Many indicated they would not consider them "destinations".
We have never stayed at one, but will this summer at Niagara Falls. Hopefully it will be a good basecamp for sight seeing!

Bill