Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2003, 08:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
KLM and other types of 'Resort Packages'

Does anyone here have any experience with KLM. I supposedly have a free membership (but have to pay $324 a year in dues) given to me when I purchased my Safari. From what I understand - you get a 'home park' for free and then every where else is 6$. Honestly have not read the fine print - and doing the math in my head - doesn't exactly equate to something O would get my money back in return. However, would at least like to have some feedback on other people's experiences - for myself - and others.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:13 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

How can it be a 'free' membership when you must pay? $25+ a month sure isn't.
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 02:33 AM   #3
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
KLM

All I can say about KLM, is that Northwest Airlines is part of KLM and they are based out of Amsterdam. They have a Canadian base in Calgary, Alberta. I know all of this because my ex-fiance is a 747 Captain for KLM. They are highly reputable, and are pretty solid financially, probably because they are so diversified and fly within the Northern Hemisphere (throughout Europe & Canada, into Africa and some US Cities (L.A., Atlanta, etc).

I can't advise you, but surely you must be able to find a travel industry Ombudsman who could advise you well. I mean there are Ombudsman for nearly every industry, so there must be one for this. Check with a local Travel Agency; or online,,,check with a Search Engine by entering the word "Omsbudsman"; or call your local Attorney General's office or the Better Business Bureau and ask them for any place they can refer you to regarding KLM (the rest of your package name).

Good Luck
Old 10-14-2003, 02:41 AM   #4
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
KLM - Post Script

$27 a month for a park may not be much if you have a reserved spot waiting for you. I mean $27 a NIGHT is what most of them charge. The word "FREE" might be pertaining to the membership itself (the lot space & hookups)...and the $27/Month ($328 a year), might be for maintenance---which wouldn't be bad at twice the price!
You need to see the "fine print".
I work for a travel industry holiday membership---and some of these offer more than people realize. Most of us are skeptical because we are so used to being ripped off. Read the fine print, and check all you can before thinking it's not kosher.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:18 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

I could be wrong, but something tells me that KLM the airline is not in the campground business. I think you are talking about two completely separate businesses that share the same initials.
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 12:50 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
I'm with joshua.

Travelled many many times with KLM, (Milano - Amsterdam - NYC).
Good company, excellent pilots (smooth landings and takeoff), beautiful hostesses, fair food, wonderful games for kids (entertainment during flight), almost always on time and cheap tickets. They partened with Alitalia for a few years and used it a lot to come and go from here. Absolutely reccomend it.

...but I never heard they were in the RV/camping business! Must be something else.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:08 PM   #7
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
KLM - Kamping ?

Now that you mention it...I agree with Joshua... I sincerely doubt that KLM-Dutch Airlines is in the Campground or Kampground business....at all.

And Kimili...your comments about the quality of their flights is most definitely a concensus of opinion amoung their travellers. All the pilots I met while I was acquainted with them, were of a very high standard of people.
They are also connected with Kenya Airlines.

But back to the original concern of this thread...I do feel that the $27 a year could be a fair expectation for a travel organization to charge...and as I said---look into it, because it may just be a membership fee,,,and the "FREE" part would be the space...which would be a tremendous perk. The facts would surely be available to you from the customer service department of the company itself...I'd call or write them for answers.

Please let us know what you find out.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
I guess I should just rephrase the question. Does anyone here actually belong to those "Camp Memberships". The way they work is that you pay a initiation fee of some $$$$ then yearly dues of several hundred dollars. You are assigned a 'home park' that you can goto anytime for free and then reduced rates (at 6$ a day) at other participating campgrounds in the 'network'. They promote that these network parks are better, inspected, etc...

I am just curious what others experiences are with them as to me - it seems a bit like 'time share rentals'.... and just can not see the savings they promote for buying into the program. Good Sams, Campgrounds America, and a few other ones are popular ones from my research on the web... but of course you never find out the bad stuff or fine print details that people end up experiencing...
Old 10-15-2003, 04:24 PM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Thousand Trails

This summer, I received a coupon for 2 free nights and $50 free gas at any of three Thousand Trails parks. Two of the parks were about the same distance from home: Columbus, TX and Medina Lake, TX. The third park was much further away. We chose Medina Lake.

We sat through a low-pressure pitch (although I hear that not all are low pressure). The park was very large and was located on a pretty lake with 24-hour security. Lots of shade in the sites. That was the good part.

The local area is terribly depressed and the nearest good restaurant about 15 miles away. Outside the park, there is almost nothing to do. The park was somewhat shabby and all of the promised recreation was non-existant. Some restrooms were closed, especially the one at the pool. The camp store was closed tight as was the snack bar.

All of this comes at a large initiation fee and a healthy annual dues. We didn't even come close to considering joining. TT may be justified for fulltimers, but not for folks that travel as we do.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 04:57 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
I also went to a Thousand Trails camp resort in our local mountains. I did not spend the night as we were camped in a national forest campground, but did take the tour. Personally, I found the campground to be exceedingly over crowded, with each campsite snug up against the next. We were there on a spring weekend, and even though the resort was only about 60% full, it had a feeling of crowdedness. Just not what I am looking for in the Bambi experience (peace, quiet, beauty, solitude). Actually, we generally avoid private campgrounds as it has been our experience that most are over developed. I'll stick to boondocking.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 07:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We have a C to C campground near us. Sheriff Dept. spends a lot of time there..............
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 12:11 AM   #12
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
curiosity

I am just curious...
Pick

1. What is a "C to C Campground"...? Coast-To-Coast?

2. What is a "Millionaire A/S Owner" ..?
Does that mean YOU are---and you're just bragging? or do you think we ALL are just by virtue of owning one (I agree!) ?

Yes, I agree with the disadvantage of being too close to each other at some of these parks.
I don't like being so close to other rigs. I feel like their morning "stretching" habits are 'visited upon' mine.

And if someone smokes in their patio...and has their awning out, and the other's windows are open---YIKES---pity the one who doesn't smoke!

Here's a photo of my idea of perfect RV park(ing).