Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Ruther Glen , Virginia
Keys campground recommended????

Planning a trip to the Keys in a couple of months...any good campgrounds recomended...cheap, clean, close to or on water, also looking for those fun little hole in the wall places for cold drinks and nightly entertainment.
Thanks
Dave
HeadnOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Dave! Hope you like heat, because it is going to be HOT and HUMID in the Keys in a few months. Like New Orleans in the summer, if you have ever been there. It's ghastly, in our opinion, but some folks like that kind of weather. The drive down from Miami through the keys is worth the trip, though, to-die-for beautiful.

We have been to Key West a couple of times, stayed at Boyd's RV park last year. It is very nice, very expensive. They have a website. There are a number of State parks down in there, right on the water, although we have never stayed in them. I don't think there is anything cheap in the Keys. If you are looking for a site, I would suggest making reservations.

Have a good time, but bring lots of sunblock.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Hi Dave,
I stayed at Bahia Honda SP there years ago in a tent. It poured enough to flood the tent as well as some other adventures there. You will be fine with an a/c unit in a fine A/S. I saw some creative types rig a wall unit into a tent, I laughed at first. It is on the water and part of the way down the keys. You will probably need to make reservations. Someone recently posted their blog on this site stayed there and put some pictures up as well. I cant remember their name, but you may be able to search it and find it.
Enjoy the Conch Republic!
Frank
SafariSogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Dave,
Until this past summer we had a time-share in Marathon (mid-August). If you intend to spend time in the water you'll want to wait for a few months to visit. There is a private campground just around the block from our old condo: Knight's Key Campground. We kept our boat there for several years and would highly recommend the management. Hopefully they are still in business, although they said the property had been sold several years ago. Bahia Honda is just south of the Seven Mile Bridge and is also very nice. A little more rustic perhaps, but less expensive, and there's a nice large swimming area. Both locations are on the water and come with a nice year-round breeze. If you want to dive for lobster, you need to get there before April or wait until after the season reopens in mid-August.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote