Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Liberty Hill , Texas
Key West/West Palm Beach

Planning to visit Key West April 2020 and WestPalmBeach. Any recommendations on RVCamp sites?
Franktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
For West Palm Beach, your best bet in April is John Prince County Park Campground, in Lake Worth...10 minute drive from just about anywhere in the WPB area. Ask for a lakefront site if available (and if you won’t be there longer than 14 days; longer term is possible but not at lakefront sites). They take reservations (by phone only, no online reservations) 90 days before your arrival date.

Website: http://discover.pbcgov.org/parks/Pag...rincePark.aspx

Alternatively, there’s the Lion Country Safari KOA out in Royal Palm Beach, but you’re 30 minutes from WPB and it’s quite pricey. But if you like the idea of hearing the Lions roar from your campsite, then by all means, have at it. 😁

Jonathan Dickinson State Park is in Hobe Sound, about 40 minutes north of downtown WPB.

Of these, I’ve only stayed at John Prince, and I recommend it highly.

No matter where you choose, if you have a dog, be aware of South Florida’s growing population of invasive, poisonous cane toads. Depending on its size, your dog would likely die from contact.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
April will be toasty but it is “off season” for Key West so you may save some money. On the island itself, you are pretty much stuck with Boyd’s. More or less a parking lot but nice people and centrally located (bring your bikes)

Up the road towards Miami is Bahia Honda State Park which will be lots cheaper and it’s beautiful. Tough to get into but try every day and you may get lucky.

As noted, Jonathan Dickinson State Park is pretty nice, most often it is available. Only downside is that most of the full hookup sites are in the sun (A 2005 hurricane wiped out all the trees...)

Do NOT even think of camping anywhere in Everglades National Park as it will be well into mosquito season.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:06 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Liberty Hill , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
April will be toasty but it is “off season” for Key West so you may save some money. On the island itself, you are pretty much stuck with Boyd’s. More or less a parking lot but nice people and centrally located (bring your bikes)

Up the road towards Miami is Bahia Honda State Park which will be lots cheaper and it’s beautiful. Tough to get into but try every day and you may get lucky.

As noted, Jonathan Dickinson State Park is pretty nice, most often it is available. Only downside is that most of the full hookup sites are in the sun (A 2005 hurricane wiped out all the trees...)

Do NOT even think of camping anywhere in Everglades National Park as it will be well into mosquito season.
Thanks
Franktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:23 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Ormond Beach , Florida
We are also planning a trip in June 2020 to the Keys (Native Floridian so we are lizards). I have never brought an RV down but have been many times, so I'll share what I've found in research. The state parks down there are extremely tough to get into unless you come in last minute. I'm told they save sites for drive ups; YMMV. The Keys is really a separate destination from Key West, so don't be afraid to stay north of KW. You can do/see pretty much everything in Key West in 3-4 days, but you could spend years exploring the waters surrounding. For example, I've never been to the Dry Tortugas but we are finally making the trip over.

If you want to camp close to KW, I have heard good things about Leo's. Most places I have found in the keys are pricey, expect to pay around 75-100 a night for hookups. We have chosen to live it up at the Bluewater Key RV resort...super pricey but we have heard worth it as well.

I do have a question for the group: Is there anywhere to park your rig (not a $100 a night campground) while we spend 4 days in the Dry Tortugas?
Blucolt is offline   Reply With Quote