Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2014, 05:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
There are lots of options in visiting the Keys and, Key West in particular. We treat Key West like Gatlinburg, TN- get in do what you want and get out and enjoy the mtns. The other keys have some great parks as options- I enjoy Largo and Pennekamp visits- the snorkeling is great even though it is more directed rather than free range per se. I find this is better if you get uncomfortable being alone with perhaps curious barracudas to your water visit! At least there is someone to yell at! Another option if you cannot find a spot in the keys or don't want the causeway experience is to camp in SW Florida - Naples, Fort Myers and take the Key West Express ($119-150) and in a few hours you are there and hauled your silver palace much less a distance.

Key West Express reservations
Old 02-07-2014, 05:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
One thing about camping in the keys is you are never too far from the water! Sunshine key was a decent place to stay depending on the site. Stay in the back if possible and the weekends get a little like Miami South. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
A little north of Key West is the Coast Guard Station. It only has a few sites, and it has the same usage restrictions as NASKW, but it's another option.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Been going to the Keys for almost 40 years, Key West is not what it was years ago. It's worth a day trip but that's about all as far as I'm concerned. They sold their soul to the cruise ship trade. It's crowded , overpriced , and not RV friendly. You can not park an RV of any kind on the street or in their lots. Also, take lots of quarters because they have a parking meter everywhere they can stick one.
by 63 Air

63Air is dead on. That is why I compared it to Gatlinburg- packed full of people and pricey. The keys are great to visit with a few things to see in Key West. If you are a person that is thinking easy livin old southern Tommy Bahama, the other keys are best. Key West is an urbanized Tourist area but it does have a night life whereas the other keys are more about nature IMHO.

Just to add some detail to the "go by boat" option, the trip itself is like an excursion. Depending on where you are traveling from, the non-caravaning can easily pay for one boat ticket as the Keys are 230 miles RT from Miami and a slow go usually on the inter coastal. That does not include trekking to Miami from wherever. Your stay on the travel day is only about 4 hours before you would have to board the boat again so an overnighter is a must. Hotels are pricey ($150+) there but so is camping. As I said, it is an option. Camping is about $100/night, (Boyd's). Naturally it depends on how long you want to be just in the keys. The state parks are about $26/day in mainland locations if considering the camp and boat or drive option. Reservations for most of the keys parks are drive up only. Just some thoughts.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #25
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Reserving ahead for the state parks is essential to a Keys camping experience. We enjoy Long Key and have stayed several years running, but, you have to book as soon as the 11 month window opens at Reserve America. We did camp at Bahia Honda the year Long Key was doing some renovations, and it was good. We had one of the sites on the gulf side, looking at US 1 bridge. The sites are close to each other, but the vegetation screens you from the neighbors. We have yet to do Curry Hammock, we have walked around the loop to check it out and these are nice sites as well. Long Key has firerings on the sites, where the others have picnic grills.
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #26
ZEB
1 Rivet Member

We have reservations at Bluewater Key RV Resort.
ZEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
A few good restaurants in the Keys, are, Lazy Days, on Islamorada. Gieger Key Marina, off Big Coppitt Key. Hogfish Bar & Grill, Stock Island. I've heard the Italian restaurant at Sugar Loaf Lodge is good, but I have never eaten there.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
Bluewater Key looks like the nicest RV resort in the world in my opinion. Would love to stay there someday.

We stayed at the nearby KOA and I LOVED the location. Sugarloaf key is just outside of the madness but a easy drive into key west. With young kids, we enjoyed getting away from Key West after sundown and having relaxing family time. Also a lot of other kids and dogs at the KOA, very friendly for us.

I think after we get our new AS my wife and I might try to book a week alone at Bluewater.

Try Blue Heaven for breakfest. Their lobster "BLT" Benedict is one of the best breakfasts I have ever had. We actually went their twice for breakfast.

Also on the way to Key West just before stock island you will pass- Baby's Coffee- A local recommended it to us and it was great coffee. Reminded me of Grumpys in NYC

Buy your local fish and shrimp from Fish Busterz near Hogfish on stock island

And go to Hogfish for their famous Hogfish sandwich

We liked Blue Heaven Key Lime Pie the best
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
There is a place called Mr. Lobster, I think it is at or around the 74 mile stick. They have good fresh seafood and fish, if you like to prepare your own!

http://www.mrlobster.com
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Agree this has been an awful winter in PA - USC. Long cold and snowy, would love to pull the AS out, but simply too much salt on the roads.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
These are some great suggestions! I've never been to Blue Heaven for breakfast, but I do know their dinners are wonderful!