Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2020, 02:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
What’s up with the blue tap?
The giant orange cone wasn’t obvious enough [emoji23]🤣

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Bob, I really like your $200 Shin Saver, think I could find one on sale someplace?

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
That was the first rendition...I'll take more pic's of the new improved model.👍

The original was designed by a pseudo ten digit 🤓 engineer and was lost on the road after the mount system failed.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-25-2020, 04:42 PM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Up-date...on the MacGyver Shin Saver.

On the left the inspiration for both...our water trial & dog show, "you can't park in our spot cone."
It is used in both the lost and the 'improved' versions as the inside "frame." 3M 5200 & holds them together in Ver#2.
The lid from a HD bucket is used as reinforcement for the bottom, 5200 & rivets add stiffness, along with a heavier bungee cord that secures it to the stinger.
65mi on Ver#2...SFSG

Amazon link for the outer cone...
Can't find a source for the 'frame' cone.

POI...Ver#1 did not have the bottom cut-out for the stinger....hence. it's gone. Also the tape was added 'cuz from behind it is not nearly as visible...tailgaters beware there is a serious impact damage preventer inside. 🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2d10.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	363953   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2d07.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	363954  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2d12.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	363955   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2d0d.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	363956  

Old 03-26-2020, 01:11 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
2022 Interstate 24GT
St. Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Sounds like you need one of our custom made $200 'Shin Savers.' 👍😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Only $200? Are you sure? Yergivenemaway!

I actually added a battery carry strap across the top to make it easier to handle and also, I route the brake/light cable through it...how freaking clever is that?
Salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I digress - my hitch is the Reese Straight-Line Dual Cam. It is pre-Arrows & Propride. It is an active sway control, as opposed to the passive type which relies on friction. Amittedly, you may get some grease on your hands. However it is about 25% the cost of the Arrows etc and easier to use (no stinger).

For a hitch lock, I use a hitch ball with the screw thread cut off and a padlock. For chocks I use the cast aluminum ones with the single lever; they are locked with padlocks - in fact I had purchased a pack of 3 Masterlocks with the identical keys, so I need to use one key only for locking up when I unhitch.

After using different TPMS systems I setttled (last month) with the TST system. My TV is a 1999 Ram 2500HD (with the 1st gen 24-valve Cummins engine). The TST system works well with the TV and AS.

Definitely get a surge protector. Personally I would not use a built-in one, just because if it does blow as a result of a massive surge, you would avoid fire damage to the AS.

Safe travels.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:16 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvagediver View Post
Only $200? Are you sure? Yergivenemaway!

I actually added a battery carry strap across the top to make it easier to handle and also, I route the brake/light cable through it...how freaking clever is that?
Now that IS a good idea👍.
A light at the end of the cone will be the 1st upgrade to the new improved MacGyver Shin Saver. 😂
The terminal is right there at the umbilical connector...D'oh
Just ordered two.....🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-27-2020, 09:50 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Zionsville , Indiana
Wow, a starter kit. First as to hitches. I have a 30' Classic and used a Blue Ox until late last year. I had 1,000 lb bars and initially towed with a 1/2 ton pickup and then a 3/4 ton diesel. The diesel was much better, didn't squirm around as much when trucks passed. But still did a little. I changed to a propride last summer and while really expensive, I like it very much so far. For a starter pack, if you are/were a tent camper, you need most of the same stuff but can drop the tent, stove, water containers and cooler (may still want that) and add electrical cords, sewer hoses, water (drinkable) hoses, basic tool kit (when you pull your house down the road, things break), rubber gloves (sewer work) and maybe a generator (if you are going to camp away from electric). I would recommend not buying too much stuff, go on a weekend close to home and keep notes on what you are missing.
rpenczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
The Woodlands , TX
I'm getting ready to sell my Intl Serenity 27FBT and made a list of the gear I bought for and will sell with the trailer. Some may be excessive but here it is. The descriptions are copied from Amazon so they can be looked up more easily. Total amount spent on the listed items was about $1,800.

I also have a ProPride hitch (about $3,000). I originally bought a Blue Ox based on reviews here but it did not stop sway if I drove the speed limit of 70 whereas ProPride stops sway at the speed limit (and beyond.) I think the Blue Ox is the best of the bunch of non-Hensley-type hitches and it's probably suitable for smaller trailers but the ProPride allows me to stop sway and drive the speed limit. I sold the Blue Ox to someone with a 23 ft trailer.

PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES EMS-PT50X Portable RV Surge Protector (50 A)

Truck Systems Technology TST 507 Tire Pressure Monitor w/4 Cap Sensors with Color Display

ROCK TAMERS (00110) 2.5" Hub Mudflap System with Matte Black Stainless Steel Trim Plates

LogicBlue Technology LevelMatePRO Wireless Vehicle Leveling System

Trimax TCL275 Wheel Chock Lock, 2 Pack

2-Pack Camper Leveler, Chock Kit | Andersen 3604 x2 | Less Than 5 Minutes to Level Your Camper or Trailer | Levelers for RV

X-Chock Wheel Stabilizer - Pair - One Handle - 28012

Master Lock 5420D Set Your Own Combination Portable Lock Box with
Adjustable Shackle, 6 Key Capacity (I installed this with one direction bolts to the inside of the propane cover so that I could keep the 2 door keys available at the trailer if I lost or forgot my keys.)

Camco 39658 Deluxe 20' Swivel Ready to Use Kit Complete with Sewer Elbow Fitting, Hoses, Storage Caps and Bonus Clear Extender

Trailer-Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp, The Fast and Easy Way To Change A Trailer's Flat Tire, Holds up to 15,000 lbs, 4.5 Inch Lift (Yellow)

4 total of Camco Vinyl Weatherproof Wheel Covers - Protects Tires From Sun, Dirt, and Corrosion, Fits 30"- 32" Tires - White (2 Pack) (45323)

Camco TastePURE Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector Greatly Reduces Bad Taste, Odors, Chlorine and Sediment in Drinking Water (40043)

Valterra Mighty Cord RV 50-Amp Extension Cord, 10-Foot Power Extension Cord, Red (I used this with some connectors below to make up a short (10 ft) electrical connection when the power post is close to your trailer's connector. It saves having to fight the monster 50 amp 30+ ft cable in and out of the trailer storage compartment.)

Tri-Lynx 00015 Lynx Levelers - 10 Pack

10 or 12 pack of 9 inch cones (I place one beside the trailer at each location when I place something under the trailer - when I chock the tires, lower each of the scissor jacks, lower the tongue jack, have power or water or sewer connections, etc. I've watched from a distance someone leave a site with their scissor jacks down.)

Camco 20ft Sidewinder RV Sewer Hose Support, Made From Sturdy Lightweight Plastic, Won't Creep Closed, Holds Hoses In Place (43051)

zero-G 4001-25 8 Inch by 25 Feet Lightweight, Ultra Flexible, Durable, Kink-
Free Garden Hose, 5, 5/8" x 25', Gray

Camco RV Dogbone Electrical Adapter with Innovative 180 Degree Bend Design and PowerGrip Handle - 15 Amp Male to 50 Amp Female, 12" (55168)

ALEKO L50-50 RV Electrical Locking Adapter 50A Male to 50A Female Locking Plug Connector

Camco 25 Feet 25ft Premium Drinking Water Lead and BPA Free, Anti-Kink Design, 20% Thicker Than Standard Hoses 5/8" Inside Diameter (22833)

Camco 10ft Premium Drinking Water Hose - Lead and BPA Free, Anti-Kink Design, 20% Thicker Than Standard Hoses 5/8"Inside Diameter (22823)

2wayz All Metal Body Garden Hose Splitter. Newly Upgraded (2017): 100% Secured, Bolted & Threaded. Easy Grip, Smooth Long Handles y Valve

IPOW Solid Brass Body Backyard 2 Way Y Valve Garden Hose Connector
Splitter Adapter + 6 Rubber Hose Washers with Comfort Grip

Explore Land 100% Waterproof Electric Tongue Jack Cover, RV Power Tongue
Trailer Jack Cover, Universal Camper Jack Cover Size 9L x 4W x 18 inch

Camco 28" RV Refrigerator Bar, Holds Food and Drinks in Place During Travel, Prevents Messy Spills, Spring Loaded and Extends Between 16" and 28" - White (3 Pack) (44053)

Connor Adjustable Trailer Lock - Brass Coupler Lock 1615230

2 of Camco 90 Degree Hose Elbow- Eliminates Stress and Strain On RV Water Intake Hose Fittings, Solid Brass (22505)

Camco RV Brass Inline Water Pressure Regulator- Helps Protect RV Plumbing and Hoses from High-Pressure City Water, Lead Free (40055)

Gilmour Heavy Duty Hose Connector Single Shut-Off Valve Bass 803004-1001

Camco RV Leveling Scissor Jack Socket Drill Adapter, Fits 3/8" and 1/2" Power Drills, Works With All 3/4" Hex Drive Jacks (57363)

Homewerks VAC-BFP-Z4B Vacuum Breaker, 3/4-Inch, BRASS
aaurbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
laguna beach , California
Take your trailer out and enjoy it. Like previous poster, somewhere close to home for a dry run. You are going to buy stuff that is just going to cause clutter and end up (eventually) tossing it. The great thing about these forums is an amazing amount of experience. I was on the forums for 2 years before I bought my AS. Enjoy, you have purchased the absolute best trailer available (IMHO).
sparkymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:49 AM   #31
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
I purchased a new 2020 25 RB last month and the dealer installed a Blue Ox 1500 LBS version. I pull it with a 2019
Chevy High Country. I had air shocks installed on the back in order to level the truck and trailer.

The Blue Ox has done fine being passed by 18 wheelers of all types. Many are not even noticeable. I had a couple that passed that had to be doing 85 mph vs me traveling 60 and I did feel a very, very slight push due to the speed difference. Nothing more than I would have felt without the trailer though.

Due due us not being able to get out of the house because of the virus situation we've only been able to take one trip in our now Trailer.

If I find a situation where it doesn't work for me I will be sure and post it here.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:17 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Lombard , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Welcome! This is a highly opinionated topic and a can of worms. You can search the forum and find numerous topics on this topic RE blue ox vs some other brand.

I have blue ox. It works great. Someone on here will tell you that it’s junk and you should only be looking at the $5k system from someone else. Good luck.

As far as hitch lock, I like proven industries. A little expensive but effective.

Attachment 363841
Thank you for the feedback on hitch and lock, much appreciated.
G
Midwest Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:23 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Lombard , IL
Makes sense and indeed what I'm getting from the Forum is valuable and appreciated; and enjoyable to say the least....
Old 03-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Lombard , IL
Great list of items and thank you for your tips and suggestions!
Greg
Old 03-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Lombard , IL
Great to hear. Indeed, hoping by the time I get my trailer the ban will be lifted...
Old 04-02-2020, 11:38 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
scappoose , Oregon
Light

Don't underestimate a good light source, whether it be the handheld variety or headlight mounted kind. Walkie talkies can aid during backing up the trailer as well!
charging7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:34 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Prosperity , South Carolina
Just joined:advice on starter kit items

Last year when we had AS FC TT I used x-chocks, loved them, felt very secure. Used chocks also, but they are real inexpensive. We used in-line camco water filter, seemed ok to me. Don't forget good tire pressure gauge; I got Viair air pump, love it; will use on the "B" we got coming. We also had room in truck for Weber Q grill, very useful. Never used the dogbone or extension cords, but did use 15-30 amp connector when we had the trailer in driveway setting up for travel. Hope it helps; good luck.
Gintory is offline   Reply With Quote