Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Just camp!

So, after going through a spring where we were in the process of selling house and downsizing to an apt with the express thought of more Airstreaming, we only have really gotten to go camping once this year.

So Sunday, I told Olga "I have a thought, let's plan on camping every weekend in October and November. We can stock up the AS and be ready to leave right after work on Fridays." She agreed so I'm in planning stage now.

We have enough good state parks and destinations within 2-3 hours of Dallas that leaving Friday afternoon after work..... always nice to work at a place that closes at 2:30 on Fridays...... we can have two nights of camping without too much stress.

I just figured we have the AS so why not? Takes me back to when I was a kid and as soon as my father was home on Friday afternoon we headed for my grandmother's cottage at the lake. Of course it was only 30 miles away, but was always a high point of any week.

Probably not a novel concept, but one surefire way to make camping happen.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Great Idea!

I envy you, most of our parks close in early October

Please keep post pictures and update us on where you go.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That is a great idea, I'm going to suggest it to my hubby. We bought the trailer so that we would be able to grab it and go on spontaneous trips, and I think we've only done that once or twice in 11 years!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I don't see why not? Sounds like a lovely plan. We're going to do the same thing as soon as I finish a few repairs and modifications. I wanted to camp every weekend until we go full-time. Right now though I can't until she's leak proof.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
We have a Friday ritual when we're weekend camping and are ready to go at 4pm, when the last of the kids gets hone from school. We have set ourselves a 2.5hr travel limit, so we don't end up setting up in the dark, and can get to three or four Provincial Parks in that time. Being in the frozen north, our season is limited so we do try to get a few of these short trips in either side of big school break in summer.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
That is a great idea, I'm going to suggest it to my hubby. We bought the trailer so that we would be able to grab it and go on spontaneous trips, and I think we've only done that once or twice in 11 years!

I guess it could be called "planned spontaneity" but if it gets us out the door and in the Airstream.....
Old 09-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Texas State Parks are great in the off season. Nice and quiet and no crowds. When we lived in Frisco we tried all the North and East Texas State Parks. A little harder to do once DST occurs but you can leave after 2:30PM and get somewhere just as its getting dark. We usually had a meal prepared so all we had to do is reheat. The next morning after a nice breakfast we would go hiking as many of the state parks have great hiking/biking trails and then get back early to clean up, start up the BBQ and be able to have it cleaned up before it got dark. We tried to use our Casita and now Airstream at least once a month.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I was not sure how airstream "camping" would go over ultimately with my wife...but she now loves even the weekend getaway locally....I have stayed locally now in a few spots for a weekend and we always have fun....1-2 hour drive and its no biggie...you get outside of the box...see new places/scenery...we love it. My wife works ever other 3 day weekend (retail pharmacist) and it is a constant bummer conflict...because we only have 2 weekends a month together, it only takes one schedule conflict for the ones we have available and there is no camping...but we have camped 1-3 times per month consistently all summer this year despite the conflicts...otherwise it would be 3-4x per month

This fall we will have fewer conflicts and plan on taking off routinely.

And as far as her weekends she works...my kids are too small for me to go solo with them (ages not yet 2 and just turned 4)....so as soon as they are much more manageable with me solo, we may camp local off and on here and there as well.

We did a 3 day weekend a few weeks ago - 8 hours drive to Hungry Mother's State Park in Marion, VA and turned right back around...we even were apreciative of this trip as well (probably would not have done 8 hours each way for a 3 day weekend if it were not also seeing family for a picnic/reunion sorta deal).

But yeah, just camp indeed!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Dana, have y'all camped in Palo Duro canyon yet? That's within your weekend range, I think. we stopped for a couple days when we were moving the trailer from Dallas to Colorado, and we plan to go back when we can stay longer. Autumn should be awesome there. Read up on the staked plain and the commanche before you go.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Dana, have y'all camped in Palo Duro canyon yet? That's within your weekend range, I think. we stopped for a couple days when we were moving the trailer from Dallas to Colorado, and we plan to go back when we can stay longer. Autumn should be awesome there. Read up on the staked plain and the commanche before you go.

Haven't camped Palo Duro. Took the kids to the TEXAS play there when they were younger. Definitely a good place to Autumn camp, although it might be more in the four hour range..... which means it would definitely have to be a before time change trip, because I'm not driving down any canyon roads after dark, especially pulling Olga's Airstream....
Old 09-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
My wife and I have managed 39 nites in the trailer this calendar year so far and most of it has been 2 and 3 day weekends. That's your option when you are still working for a living. Have trailer will camp!
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
My wife and I have managed 39 nites in the trailer this calendar year so far and most of it has been 2 and 3 day weekends. That's your option when you are still working for a living. Have trailer will camp!
Al

Amen to that!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Enjoy! I hear Joe Pool Lake in Arlington area is good. Gonna try it soon from Round Rock when we visit grandkritters and their keepers.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Please do keep a running commentary of the parks and how you like them. Being close to you I would like to know how it turns out so I can get some ideas.
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Jumping the gun a bit

Will be at Cooper Lake State Park, South Sulphur Unit this coming weekend. Trading last weekend in September for first weekend in Oct when dog surgery will preclude camping that weekend.

We sort of consider Cooper Lake as our "home" park in that its about 68 miles from where Thumper is stored, is one of the nicest SPs in Texas and pretty much always has availability except perhaps the usual holiday weekends.

Lake Jim Chapman continues to be a bit low as do many Texas lakes but we don't go for swimming or fishing, so it should be a great fall opener.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
In 3 . . . 2 .... 1

Headed home shortly to pack for first AS trip of the fall to East Texas. Parlayed working last Saturday into a head start on the weekend.

Dana
Old 09-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
At A COE park nearby. All set up.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
At A COE park nearby. All set up.

Nice

Old 09-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I go camping for a nice weekend nearby in 1 week - cannot wait - me and a buddy at the lake - no one around for a mile or more - bass fishing and drinking beer - woohoo

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #20
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
We're packing up at the KOA today and moving back up to boondocking in the hills for another long weekend. Renting a Bobcat skid steer this weekend to carve a couple nice level RV spots out of the woods.