Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2022, 05:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vancouver , British Columbia
Just 2 questions on Campgrounds

Hello,

I would like to buy an Airstream to live with my wife without animals and full-time. I think I mainly use Full Hookup

1 - I would like to have your opinion on the size on my Airstream. I was thinking to take a 27 feet because I have the feeling that I would have more choices on the number of campgrounds in USA accessible in Full Hookup.

2 - I downloaded the RVLife app to find the campsites but did not see in the duration filters. I would like to stay betweeng 3 or 5 weeks per camp and I see a lot of camps making limitations to 2 weeks. Is there any other way to find them?

Thank you in advance for your answer that will help me in my choice.
PhilouCerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
In our experience here in the PNW, most campgrounds only offer monthly camping in the off-season. Like from October through May. We are going to be camping in the Sequim area (North shore of the Olympic Peninsula) from February through April this next year and they limit monthly campsites during the months of October through May (or it might be April). Otherwise, you will be limited to two weeks at a time (in our experience).

On length of trailer, the 27 foot trailer should work out pretty well for you. We have a 30 foot, and really like the bit more space when camping in the rain/cold in winter here in Washington. Any smaller and you might get claustrophobic on those long winter nights (you're even farther North than we are). Most campgrounds with full hookups will take a 30 foot trailer.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
You might be able to find monthly campsites in the on-season if you search for private campgrounds. Some friends of ours spent last summer on Orcas Island (I think it was Orcas) at a private spot with three sites.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , AZ
We chose a 28 foot FC because it had a dinette as well as well as a lounge, basically two seating areas. We wanted to stay under 30 feet because many national parks don't allow anything longer.
vwii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:11 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
springfield , Missouri
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilouCerise View Post
Hello,

I would like to buy an Airstream to live with my wife without animals and full-time. I think I mainly use Full Hookup

1 - I would like to have your opinion on the size on my Airstream. I was thinking to take a 27 feet because I have the feeling that I would have more choices on the number of campgrounds in USA accessible in Full Hookup.

2 - I downloaded the RVLife app to find the campsites but did not see in the duration filters. I would like to stay betweeng 3 or 5 weeks per camp and I see a lot of camps making limitations to 2 weeks. Is there any other way to find them?

Lots of state and National campgrounds sort of have a 14 day thing. If you are wanting to stay longer you should look at private campgrounds and RV parks. I can’t imagine choosing to stay in one spot that long.
xpcdoojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Aren't the national park limits at 25 feet? We had thought of a Flying Cloud 25FB but that seems too small to us. We have an appointment this weekend to see one.

I would like to stay just 1 week or 2 weeks but we work remotely all week and move every weekend I think it is difficult. On the weekend we want to discover the country, the people and the culture which must be different from France where we come from and Vancouver where we live.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
A lot of National Park Campgrounds, especially older ones, do have a 25' limit.
The older sites were just not built for today's larger trailers and oversize tow vehicles. You possibly could squeeze a 27 or 28 in one of those sites but it would be tight, plus you still have to get your tow vehicle in there.
The newer sites being built at NP's seem to be more accommodating for larger rigs.
Private campground - no issue for the most part.

Campendium is a very good resource also.

In my opinion, and it's only an opinion so take it for what it is, you are not gaining a whole lot by going from a 25 to 27. We have a 25 and I went through this debate myself. In a 27' You get a slightly longer couch, and an oversize wardrobe closet(which is nice, no doubt), but that's it. Everything else is the same as a 25'. I just did not see that the extra money was worth it, but then again I don't full time either.
If I were moving up from a 25 I would skip the 27 and go to 28'. That floor plan opens up more options.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:41 AM   #8
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Of course, the 26 foot Airstream is "just right." I've stayed over more than a month in private campgrounds all over the country. Waiting for weather or spare parts, visiting relatives, it was never a problem.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:44 AM   #9
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
When discussing length, the layout to me is an important consideration.

Our 25-ft with no dinette and twin beds feels much more open that some 27-ft trailers we've been in which have the queen bed and lots of furniture.

If you're also trying to get a pair of desks set up for working while traveling, you might benefit from the extra length and a bit of custom layout work.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:09 AM   #10
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
I agree with Richard. The layout is is as important if not more than the length. I chose my two because the bathroom is in the rear and I wish the twin beds were an option then as they are now in the FCs. But then lots of times the view of the lake or many other campgrounds is out the rear of the trailer.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
RE: 25' limit, i've never had a ranger measure my rig (27) and we've camped at 25' limit sites. I did stop and speak to a ranger about it once while walking the dog and he said the person in park management who mandated the 25' rule was not a camper and that the width of the roads and steepness of the change in incline on camp roads was as much of a factor of length limits in national parks as pad lengths. Some of the redwood parks have trees right up next to the park road making it difficult to maneuver. Some have steep dips to cross streams either of which could cause damage to a long combination. He told me that he sizes up the rig mostly by how seasoned the driver or occupants appear. "If they look like they know how to handle their rig, i let them in."
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’ve found that most of the older parks that only allow smaller trailers are not places that you’d find full-timers. In Colorado, I’ve camped at quite a few small state parks that have a 25’ limit. I’ve also seen limits of 45’ for the truck/trailer combination. These sites typically don’t have hookups, so full timing wouldn’t be practical.

I agree with the comments above about layout vs. size. If you dig into the forums, you’ll find somebody who lives full time in virtually every model that Airstream makes. You can make any of them work depending on your needs and the compromises that you’re willing to make. If I were seriously considering full time living in an Airstream, I’d probably want the biggest trailer that I could buy!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:33 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

BCC75, I agree with you on the difference between a 25 and a 27. In addition it will please Richard because I would lose 300lbs to relieve my truck. By force I will get there to take an F150.

John Ware, Thanks for confirming what I thought, the view is often at the back. For this reason, I don't really like the 28 Pottery Barn® Special Edition or International because the bedroom is at the back and when I sleep I sleep I don't look at the landscape anymore

Supertrouper said "If they look like they know how to handle their rig, i let them in." This is far from my case. My only experience is vacations with a 25' camper. We will wait for which camps to go there.

Dennis C. Your are right. We won't work in the small state parks but when the holidays are coming, Let's Go!!!

Thanks everyone for your answers. I appreciate that.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:45 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Antes Fort , Pennsylvania
I have stayed at many long term campgrounds. Allstays.com has extensive information about campgrounds.
alphamale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:47 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwii View Post
We chose a 28 foot FC because it had a dinette as well as well as a lounge, basically two seating areas. We wanted to stay under 30 feet because many national parks don't allow anything longer.
We chose the 28' as well for the same reasons.

We will also be adding a couple of Honda generators to the rear bumper of our Excursion, so we wanted to get as far away from the noise as possible.

We wanted a North/South queen bed and the 27/28 footers are the smallest that allow that. If we were going to go with twins, we would have picked the 25 rear bed configuration.

Happy trails.
TV: 2000 Ford Excursion 6.8 liter, 2 WD, 4:56 G2 gears, remanufactured everything. 2022 28’ FC, 50 Amp, Queen, ProPride w/V2 Jacks, Hughes EMS.
Goal: be able to comfortably spend 5 days a week boondocking (shower every few days or so) and at least once travel to AK.
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If I was full timer, I'd have a Classic 30.
No full hookup private campground will ban a 30'. Enough National Parks will have some spots for a 30' even though all spots might not be suitable. The campgrounds who can't handle a 30', won't have full hookups.
I'd pick the Classic 30 because of seating, floor space, and countertop space. Also, a general feel of luxury.
IMO, there's campgrounds for full timers and campgrounds for travelers. Full timers stay months. Travelers stay days or weeks.

I wish Airstream still made the Classic 25'.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:14 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
If I was full timer, I'd have a Classic 30.

I agree with you but it's not sure that our Santa Claus is as generous as that.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:04 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilouCerise View Post
Hello,

We downsized from a 31’ then to a 29” and currently using our 25” FC. It has both a dinette and lounge. As someone else said we realized that the only gain w the 27” is a slightly longer sofa and slightly more main closet space. Having said that we are confident we would not go any smaller than the 25”

Everything we took with us in both our 31” & 29” Airstreams fit perfectly into the new 25 when we bought it so storage seemed to be somewhat equivalent in all three. We’ve found the 25 to be very comfortable for the two of us. We did sleep 6 in it for a night once and it was doable although we subscribe to the camping rule that no matter the size of your rig you should only have 6 guests for cocktails; 4 guests inside for dinner and only two to spend the night.

We’ve had Airstreams for more than 30years and have never had any issue getting any size rig into any campsite. Of course the 25 is quite easy w plenty of room for a tent should our adult children fly to our location to join us.

We agree w the 2 week stay limits being usually the state or Nat’l parks. However we just stayed a month in PA at a private campground. It was convenient, pricey and offered many events and activities which we prefer not to take part in while camping.

Best of luck w your decision. Enjoy whichever you choose.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:18 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
We full-time in a 25. We usually stay in one location between 3 and 7 days. I don’t think a 25 would work in all cases. It is smaller, you don’t really have much opportunity for separate spaces inside, but when we REALLY need some time alone, one of us will usually go for a walk, bike ride, or go shopping for a couple hours. We no longer need to work so we don’t need room for work spaces.

We probably spend 30% of the time in full hookup private campgrounds (often shorter stays) and the rest of the time in state or national parks or boondocking.

For the most part, you could get a 30 ft AS in just about any park we’ve been to. You may need to make reservations to ensure you get a site that will fit (or arrive early for FCFS campgrounds). The other consideration I can think of is if you plan to boondock, a longer trailer will have a greater likelihood of bottoming out on the rear end…but a lift kit would help greatly with that.

For your case (needing some space for work) I think the 27-30 ft range sounds like it would work for you well. Definitely find them to see to get a real idea of how you could use the space.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:25 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We have camped all over the US and Canada. We run a 30' behind a truck that is just shy of 24'. So far, that has not ever impacted where we can go or where we can camp. No, we can't fit into every spot at every campground. To do that we would need a tent . Indeed there are campgrounds that will not "fit" anything over 20' long. There's inevitably another campground down the road that works for us.

The same campground that only will fit 20' ( or 25 or whatever) likely also isn't very level and almost certainly does not have full hookups. It's unlikely that it even has power. If you will be there for more than a few days, could on running a generator. If it's hot, bring a big generator. If your trailer has small tanks, plan on dealing with that as well.

There are an amazing number of campgrounds with "limits" in this or that app or on this or that site. Dig in a bit and *surprise* they just put in some arbitrary number that works for all the sites. When you get there, some are *way* bigger than what the data suggests. Sometimes you can work this out from reviews. Other times a phone call will help you out. Other times, you just have to go over and see ( that doesn't work well with 1 year out reservations ....).

Most state / provincial / national parks have stay limits. They also tend to close up once the main season is over (snow also might influence this ... ). A lot of commercial parks also follow the same sort of pattern. Past some date in September or October .... spaces get more scarce.

So yes, there are reasons to go to this or that size trailer. I would not put finding a campground / not being able to go places very high on the list. There are other drivers that are much higher up for most folks.

Airstreams (all of them, regardless of size) are not the greatest in the winter. Insulation and heat is adequate for the typical 40's as highs and lows in the 30's or maybe high 20's sort of thing. If the highs are below freezing, water systems become a problem and you will burn a *lot* of energy heating things. That will burn a lot of propane. At a monthly site, you will pay for the electric, even at somewhat warmer temps it's going to get pricey.

The most basic solution is to not go where it's really cold in the winter. Equally don't go where it's really hot in the summer. Right now we have the heat on since it's 52F outside. That may or may not be the answer for everybody. If you are working out of your RV while full timing, that may restrict where you need to be and when you need to be there.

Fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote