Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Jackson and Grand Teton site recommendations

I did a search but did not come up with much on this surprisingly.

We are going to be in this area in August with friends who are cycling in the Greater Yellowstone ride. We are planning on staying in the Jackson/lower Grand Teton area and doing day trips to Jackson, Idaho, and possibly the west side of Yellowstone near the Fire Hole.

We prefer quiet campsites that have a bit more space and the possibility of views nearby and can boondock as long as a dump station is nearby. Being near a fishing river is a big plus.

What would be your recommendations and why? Also - if you have pictures so we can see what it's like, that would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Gros Venture at the south end of Grand Teton.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

There is a campground on the road to Teton Village. I think its Jackson Hole Resort.
Over the hill in Driggs Id is a new campground with great wide open views of the west side of the Tetons.
Coulter Bay Village has a dry camping campground that has larger sites in the trees.
From Jackson to OFI, (Old Faithful) is 90 miles. From Jackson over the hill thru Idaho to town of Ashton and up 191 to West Yellowstone is 125, and scenic especially if you detour on Fall River road Byway.
There is a small campground just east of Moran Jct that isnt very fancy.
The Virginian in town of Jackson makes downtown close, but its packed in Luckly huge rigs like 45 foot busses aren't allowed.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
1. I second the recommendation for Gros Ventre. It is a dry camping campground in Grand Teton NP that has fresh water available and a dump station. Lots of critters mosey by, including moose and bison. Seldom fills.

2. The road between Grant Village and Old Faithful (think of the southeast leg of the figure eight that is the Yellowstone road system) is closed right now as they try to replace a bridge up at the divide. They hope to get it open late this summer but I wouldn't count on it. The only way to Old Faithful from the south entrance will be all the way up to Canyon, west to Madison and then south to OF. Plan accordingly!

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
Hello bonginator:

Yep! - I also recommend the Gros Ventre Campground in Grand Teton Natl. Park. As already mentioned wildlife viewing is almost always available along the road into the campground and sometimes in the campground itself. Fishing is available within a 100 yards of your campsite. It's a major stream (possibly a Snake River tributary). Several short trails through the brush alongside the water. The restrooms have flush toilets and electric lights. It's perfect for us old codgers and everyone else. Even residents of Jackson bring their families here to camp. The fathers drive into Jackson to work each day while their wives and children enjoy their campsite. They have ranger talks in the evenings. Whenever I'm in the area, I always spend at least a week camping here. You will enjoy your time spent here.
helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
1. I second the recommendation for Gros Ventre. It is a dry camping campground in Grand Teton NP that has fresh water available and a dump station. Lots of critters mosey by, including moose and bison. Seldom fills.

2. The road between Grant Village and Old Faithful (think of the southeast leg of the figure eight that is the Yellowstone road system) is closed right now as they try to replace a bridge up at the divide. They hope to get it open late this summer but I wouldn't count on it. The only way to Old Faithful from the south entrance will be all the way up to Canyon, west to Madison and then south to OF. Plan accordingly!

Mike
Thanks for he tip on the road to Old Faithful. I know the road you are referring to so its good to know in advance about this so we can plan to exit out of Yellowstone by going North and not having to drive back down through Jackson. No appreciate the tip!
Old 05-03-2014, 05:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
There is a campground on the road to Teton Village. I think its Jackson Hole Resort.
Over the hill in Driggs Id is a new campground with great wide open views of the west side of the Tetons.
Coulter Bay Village has a dry camping campground that has larger sites in the trees.
From Jackson to OFI, (Old Faithful) is 90 miles. From Jackson over the hill thru Idaho to town of Ashton and up 191 to West Yellowstone is 125, and scenic especially if you detour on Fall River road Byway.
There is a small campground just east of Moran Jct that isnt very fancy.
The Virginian in town of Jackson makes downtown close, but its packed in Luckly huge rigs like 45 foot busses aren't allowed.
Please tel me more about the Moran CG. Our friends are impending their cycling tour in Moran so we may want to meet them there so having a CG to stay in for a night might work well.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks for all of the info, everyone. It's very helpful.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

The campground east of Moran Jct is called Grand Teton Park RV Resort and Cabins. Check Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor or Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews and make your own assessment. Location for us in a motorhome w/satellite TV was ok for several days not using any facilities. Great views
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #10
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We stayed two years ago at the Coulter Bay CG in the Tetons-- it was sort of a standard NPS "dry" CG with some vegetation screening between sites, and was huge. Apparently it seldom fills up, so that's a plus during the high tourism season.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:11 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I really like Signal Mountain. Close to Jackson Lake and great views of the Tetons. It's smaller than Gros Ventre and does fill up in peak season. Google "Signal Mountain Campground" for pictures. Gros Ventre is closer to Jackson and has plenty of room.

Stan
Salt Lake City
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote