Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2024, 09:38 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Glen Arbor , Michigan
Ismy 2014 better than a 2024?

As I get a bit older, I am sensitive to bragging about how my older stuff works so well for fear of sounding like that old curmudgeon who is stuck in the past. But, after our most recent trip which included a great stay in Telluride where the weather was cool/cloudy and generator hours very restricted, I think I am fairly objective in my assessment that I can do things in my 2014 which would not work in a new one.
We have an absorption fridge, a propane oven and stove, a forced air propane furnace, a water tank propane hot water heater and (admittedly) an expanded bank of Battleborn batteries.
With no sun for solar, cold temps, a 12v fridge and other electric appliances, we would have been forced to shorten our stay.
So, am I a curmudgeon?
Wanna EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 09:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
I don’t think you are a curmudgeon ……. but I agree with your opinions so maybe you shouldn’t take any comfort from me!

Over the past ten years Airstream has made some improvements that benefit all owners, most notably ducted a/c and the composite floor. But, most of their improvements seem to be aimed at the plugged in travelers and are actually worse for old fashioned campers. Based on their sales performance that seems to be where the market is moving.

Fortunately, the used market can supply us old fashioned folks with Airstreams that meet our needs.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 10:20 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Lincoln City , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna EB View Post
As I get a bit older, I am sensitive to bragging about how my older stuff works so well for fear of sounding like that old curmudgeon who is stuck in the past. But, after our most recent trip which included a great stay in Telluride where the weather was cool/cloudy and generator hours very restricted, I think I am fairly objective in my assessment that I can do things in my 2014 which would not work in a new one.
We have an absorption fridge, a propane oven and stove, a forced air propane furnace, a water tank propane hot water heater and (admittedly) an expanded bank of Battleborn batteries.
With no sun for solar, cold temps, a 12v fridge and other electric appliances, we would have been forced to shorten our stay.
So, am I a curmudgeon?
Completely agree!!
Genboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 10:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We still love our 2002, purchased new. It has features we prefer to what is on today's models, but, then, we are exactly "new" either.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 11:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I don't think you're a curmudgeon either!

Our trailer isn't exactly old but there are a few things on the newest models that I think would be nice. The composite floors are a worthwhile upgrade as well as the changes they've made to prevent FES, although I've not had problems related to those two things. I also like the easy access HVAC ceiling filters.

OTOH, I've had Alde and actually prefer the forced air furnace in my 2020 GT. The water tank hot water heater works great and I love having the 3-way absorption fridge that gives us maximum flexibility. With a decent size lithium battery pack, rooftop and portable solar and a 3000W inverter we have a very capable boondocking trailer. For us, anyway, it's hard to imagine a net gain in capability from a newer one.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 02:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
My problem with Airstream is that they have made all these improvements but have not given the new buyer a choice. Whatever happened to "options". I don't want an on demand water heater but if I want a new trailer, I have to have one. These are great improvements but they will require that you are always plugged in, or....you step up to a top of the line lithium power bank and a full rooftop of solar panels. Again, these are amazing improvements but how does the little guy survive in the Airstream world? I like my absorption fridge, my tanked water heater and my oven. Thank you Airstream of old.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 09:18 AM   #7
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
My problem with Airstream is that they have made all these improvements but have not given the new buyer a choice. Whatever happened to "options". I don't want an on demand water heater but if I want a new trailer, I have to have one. These are great improvements but they will require that you are always plugged in, or....you step up to a top of the line lithium power bank and a full rooftop of solar panels. Again, these are amazing improvements but how does the little guy survive in the Airstream world? I like my absorption fridge, my tanked water heater and my oven. Thank you Airstream of old.
I have a 2012 27FB outfitted with enough solar to boondock weeks at a time. If AS wants to offer an all electric option that is fine with me. But they do need to be upfront as to how much solar and Lithium battery capacity are required to allow extended boondocking. They should also offer propane powered appliances as an option for those who prefer propane to electric.
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 10:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2014 31' Classic has been modified over the years. We have ten 100 watt solar panels on the roof and two Victron 330 amp Hour lithium batteries with their color touch screen control system. We have a Truma instant on water heater powered by propane and a Vitrifrigo marine refrigerator that ruins on 12 Vdc. We built a matching cabinet above the shorter fridge. All the cabinet catches are now made of brass. All the fluorescent fixtures but the one over the hide-a-bed are now LED with some having two light levels. We had to replace the second factory flooring (installed wrong one and replaced while on the line) with Marmoleum that has had no issues since installed a few weeks after we got the trailer. We upgraded to the Italian propane stove (which Dometic bought and then has dropped all support for). We have a flow control for the water pump so no more throbbing on the floor for a trickle. Outside we retrofitted every stainless steel option the factory offered at the time. We installed reverse flood lights under the rear bumper and the rear view camera system. We installed two Maxim skylights and a MaxxFan. Both 15K air conditioners are now Coleman with Easy Starts and MicroAire thermostat that I can adjust from home if needed over the internet. The Coleman units are much quieter than the OEM Dometics.

All electrical outlets were upgraded to Hubbell commercial grade 20 amp with GFI protection. Extra A/C power outlets were added where needed.

We have a much more sophisticated Peplink dual cellular modem with Starlink and the ability to attach the local WiFi. This provides ethernet and WiFi connectivity both inside and outside the coach.

Last year, we replaced the OEM 5,000 pound axles and the single puck disc brakes we installed when the trailer was new with 5,200 pound axles with 3" lift plates and dual puck disc brakes.

Fortunately, we do not have the ducted A/C with registers that often fall out, power awnings, power, stabilizers and power beds or chairs. The manual systems work every time and a little exercise after driving for hours is good.

We immediately went to the 16" Michelins once off the dealer's lot to replace the troubled 15" Goodyear Marathons. We use Michelin tires on every vehicle and have never had a tire failure in 50 years. We have even use the 15" Michelins on our 2014 23D International Serenity since new.

The other huge difference is real Hickory wood cabinets and the wall fuzz which makes touching the outside wall in the cold nights a non-event. There are real curtains with valances and sunblock that changes to a privacy screen on all of the main windows.

We recently found only a single screw and one pop rivet holding the front end to the frame. It is now properly connected with a steel plate.

Our 23D had had similar updates.

When not in use, the two Airstreams are stored under roof on asphalt with A/C power for the battery system.

Nothing on offer from Airstream now is of interest to us.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 06:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Older is better! (PERIOD!!)

Agree 100%! Our "used 25's including 2006, our used 2008, and our "new" (back in the day), 2014 25'FCT all worked great! Propane or electric on fridge, hot water heater...oven in couple; microwave/convection in last 2. We never had an issue...no solar/Li, or I likely would still have the last one. Our 2017 28' FCT has not had any issues, and still functions great for water heater, fridge with propane or electric. Can't say same for friends who bought the newer models....great to have a composite floor...but how's that shower and fridge working for ya?? Oh, and you say your electronics is not all coordinated like in the older models? I hear the complaints and read them here. The vents were a big leap and had we gotten a 2015 25' when they were first introduced, we likely would still have it, except the wife liked the layout better in the 28' FC...rest is "history". We have been very happy, and no one here complaining about the hot water nor electric fridge!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 04:31 AM   #10
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
agree

we are very comfortable with our Airstream, and it has served us very well, met all our needs and demands admirably. We are not that tech savvy, so we would be intimidated by all of it on the newer Airstreams. We are in it right now, on our way home from the East Coast, to get ready to leave again in 3 weeks. The greatest testament to our Airstream is that some good friends, after owning and towing a 5th wheel, are now looking for an Airstream.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 06:32 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
100% in agreement! Our 2000 Safari has all its original components in good working order-no lost or missing rivets-no fallen cabinets-no FES. Only repairs are small subfloor repair-vinyl flooring-led lighting-lithium capable converter. While new Airstreams have some upgraded products I would like, I think THOR's build process and quality control has slipped over the years.
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 06:39 AM   #12
Just an old timer...

2020 23' Globetrotter
Tipton , Iowa
We recently bought a 2020 GT 23FBQ that was like new BECAUSE it was the last year with the three-way fridge, propane furnace, and 6 gallon AC/LP water heater tank among other older tried-and-true technology. It has two AGM batteries with 90w of solar which, for our purposes is more than sufficient. The one "modern" thing I DO like is the ducted AC/Heat pump. It is significantly quieter, does a better job of insulating the roof, and circulates throughout the trailer better. Airstream experimented with composite floors in the late '70s Argosy trailers. It's probably a good thing, but plywood has worked well since... well... it's introduction, so I'm not concerned there.

No, you're not a curmudgeon. You're practical, as are we.

AIR 2053 Current: 2020 Globetrotter 23FBQ

Airstreams Emeritus:
1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van," 2004 Interstate T1N
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 07:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Admittedly a bit selfish, but perhaps the biggest benefit of all of the recent “improvements” is that without an array of life support tubes and wires these trailers are not capable of surviving for more than a day or two. The result is that we don’t have to compete with them for the campsites we love!
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 11:18 AM   #14
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
I agree with the above responses that the "older" Airstreams are better than the newer ones

We bought new ouw 2014 25' FB Flying Cloud. I can operate the doors, stabilizes, windows, steps, awning, waste valves, etc etc manually.

If there is a problem, I can usually fix it with a hammer, screwdriver, wrench or duct tape.

A problem in one area will not incapacitate the entire trailer.

I like the three way fridge and the loud a/c covers distracting outside noise.

I do not really see any circumstance under which I would buy a new model Airstream based upon the variety of issues reported this and other area.

Just my opinion.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote