Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #41
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev1940 View Post
Don't forget to check out "Airstream Only" parks, you can find them online. Stop well before dark even if its a truck stop or Walmart and if the weather turns bad STAY PUT.
Good luck,
This RV park & Airstream "hotel" in Escalante, Utah was closed for a while, but seems to have reopened. We stayed there once and really liked it. The landscape is spectacular. We may visit it again on our drive home in April.

Airstream Park Drive-In || Escalante Utah Hotel || Shooting Star
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
At $180 for 7 months you get what you pay for and not much more.

Cheaper than paying for storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev1940 View Post
Don't forget to check out "Airstream Only" parks, you can find them online. Stop well before dark even if its a truck stop or Walmart and if the weather turns bad STAY PUT.
Good luck,

Thank you kindly for all the timely information....good news is we are working on escape route this weekend. Studying weather patterns ( wild guessing meteorologists), we are considering leaving after the holidays....take our time after we travel route I-81....then decide I-40, I-20 or I-10 heading to southern Arizona. However, if we decide to linger longer enroute....New Orleans, Gulf Coast, Austin......the Airstream Adventure Awaits!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
The $180 includes access to a water station, dump station, dumpsters, and pit toilets...storage with style!!!
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Happy New Year AS Forum Members!
Thank you for all your great information, tips and encouragement!
We are packed, prepped, hitched and ready to head southwest early tomorrow on our first snowbird adventure. Temp here last night was 15° and olive oil froze in the AS pantry....thawed quickly and now stored in frig. Learned so much our first summer season camping and greatly appreciate the wonderful supportive Forum Community.

Heading south and hope to de-winterize in a few days and if all goes well....will return home sometime in March! Maybe we will meet some fellow Airstreamers on the road....
All the best for a great 2015,
FCloud9
Old 01-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Happy new year and have a great safe trip !

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Travel Safe and keep us posted on your adventure....
We will be leaving Canada in latter January heading to the SW, so one never knows our paths may very well cross

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-02-2015, 08:49 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have a great time, and keep us posted here as to general whereabouts and trajectory, so those in your vicinity as you travel can connect if they wish.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 01-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
NEVER to late to get out of the snow and cold.
A little cool in Quartzsite only in the upper 50s and sunny, BUT next week back in the 70s Nice life here.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Question Reserve America

I don't mean to hijack the thread, I too am interested in seeking a warmer clime. My question is on topic (I think) but more about the reservation.

I'm trying to get down near Largo, Florida. I've been able to make a 2 week reservation in Hillsboro River S.P. but I want to stay around 4 weeks. The state park maximum is 14 days, you must leave a day before you can return. The largest stretch was the one I reserved, which will be at the end of our stay, so I'm working backward now.

In the same park I have found 5 day, 1 day and another 5 day site available. I was thinking of reserving them but if I use Reserve America, does this count as 3 reservations or just 1? Cancellations are expensive and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Reserve America, making reservations this way.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:30 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We landed our Flying Cloud in Wytheville VA just before dark. Long day but we should be south enough to miss the forecasted icy & freezing rain tomorrow. Heading next to just south of Birmingham AL for overnight at Tennehill SP McCalla, AL...then onto to New Orleans, LA.
Hopefully, we will be able to de-winterize in a few days....weather permitting.
We are typically very OCD planners but the trip is our first loooooong adventure with no reservations. We want to chase warmer weather, avoid the polar vortex (bad memories of 4 months last year) and get outside and enjoy winter in southwest!

Our 18.5 yr. old blind poodle has been a real sweetie so far. She sleeps like a baby in the car and her people brought all her sweaters, polar fleece coat and handmade blankets.

We are at our first KOA ever tonight, nearly all other SP in VA are closed for the season.
Nice pull through with electric to keep us toasty and excellent free wifi!
We have been working out logistics for next three to four days. ALLSTAYS APP is terrific!
Old 01-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Near New Orleans, I've stayed at all of these parks, and can recommend any of them. I've listed them in order of closest to farthest proximity to the French Quarter:
Bayou Segnette State Park, 13 miles;
St. Bernard State Park, 15 miles;
Fairview-Riverside State Park, 38 miles:
Buccaneer State Park in Mississippi, 56 miles;
Bogue Chitto State Park, 66 miles.

I haven't stayed at Fountainbleu State Park, 38 miles from the French Quarter, Tickfaw State Park, 65 miles from the French Quarter, or Grand Isle State Park, 111 miles from the French Quarter, but all three of those are on my "to do" list.

Unfortunately, there are no Corps of Engineers campgrounds within about 200 miles of New Orleans. Probably the closest is Twiltley Branch Campground on Okatibbee Lake in Mississippi, near the junction of I-59 and I-20 at Meridian, Mississippi.

However, on your way west, be sure to check out Sam Rayburn Lake in east Texas. Not only are there SIX CoE campgrounds on the shore of Sam Rayburn Lake (I've stayed at one, Mill Creek) but also an Airstream-only campground owned by one of the Texas WBCCI units. With so many campgrounds to choose from, you could rotate between them, two weeks at each, and spend three months without ever leaving that one lake! And because you can't stay a whole season at any one park, it's often overlooked by snowbirds who look to plant themselves in one park all winter long, so the parks are seldom full in winter.

You don't need both. The Senior Pass (formerly Golden Age Passport) is for the "over 62" crowd. Access Pass is for handicapped/disabled of any age. Both are available free of charge at the office of most National Parks. Although Corps of Engineers accepts the passes, they can't issue the passes anymore.

Hi Protagonist,
Happy New a Year and if I remember correctly- happy retirement!
We may very well find ourselves in New Orleans between 1/4-1/7 range.
May have some questions regarding which campground you would choose to de-winterize.
We are somewhat concerned if done too soon.....we may have cold weather conditions in Texas on our way to southern Arizona.
All the best,
FCloud9
Old 01-04-2015, 05:36 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
After narrowly missing tornado last night in Alabama, arrived safely at Fountainbleau State Park today with warmest temps thus far at. 64°!
Plan to visit NOLA and stroll the streets of French Quarter before proceeding west.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:03 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Sounds good, I like the part about getting away but the getting away from the cold I guess is relative. Looking at Arizona, it is in the lower left quarter that is 40-60ish degrees currently as the highs! It still sounds cold to me. Some time in the future, try southwest Florida, say Port Charlotte to Sarasota area. It won't be that crowded, it's closer to home and the temps will be warmer too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	azcentral_statetemps_4x3.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	229823  
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rod, we've lived in both states, well before the Florida population explosion. I'll take the beautiful, dry, sunny, bug-free winter weather of southern Arizona any day. The sun warms you, not the humid air.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We too have been to Florida many times and we love the "beach type" vacation but our favorite beaches are in Kauai! We are anxious to explore Arizona and are watching temp carefully. Our p,an is to chase 65-70°. Enjoy hiking in cooler temps, maybe stay here and there in CG with few amenities which include a warm pool but we sure mainly longing for a connection to the land, culture and yes, we are not missing the northeastern ice storms, snow storms and 20° temps.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:13 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
bug-free winter weather of southern Arizona any day.
Well, it ain't too bad in the winter here! The state bird (mosquito) is few and far between in the cooler winter weather of the seventies! I understand FCloud9. I too like AZ and, 40-60 is better than the 20 degree weather for sure! Still, sometime give a smaller less populous area a try in FL. You might be surprised. I have to laugh as I was on Kauai at a sunrise Easter service on the beach once. Beautiful. The beach was nice but the water action was really strong. Now you have me wanting to take a trip! I AM going to the Canopener this week. I guess that will have to do.

I agree Doug on one part, that there are parts of FL that are not on my visitation list. The crowds are insane- mostly east coast, Key West and central DizzyWorld. Some of the most beautiful beaches I have seen for beaching/swimming are the panhandle beaches with their high angle (don't even need a beach chair) and nice water. I prefer a natural beach (not a nudie beach) but sea oats, dunes, etc. We are certainly blessed with all these nice places to see huh?
Old 01-04-2015, 08:29 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The florida panhandle beaches are indeed beautiful, we spent a month next to the beach in recent years and enjoyed in very much.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:14 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Hi AS Forum Friends,
We have really enjoyed our first "snow bird adventure"...primarily in Arizona and fortunately visited many state & county parks recommended here on the forum. We especially enjoyed Lost Dutchman, Gilbert Ray, Patagonia, and Organ Pipe. Have met many Airstream friends on the road. Currently in CA after visiting Anza Borrego SP & getting up close to Big Horn Sheep on great hiking trail....now enjoying warm sunny temps in Joshua Tree National Park at Black Rock CG. We have only have approx. 7-8 rainy days since on the road 1/2/15....heading back to AZ west side and then north to NV and southern Utah! Just checking in and have really missed the forum but having a fantastic adventure!
Kind regards,
FCloud9
Old 02-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
Greetings from Chicago! Take my advice and stay SOUTH.

The next 10-days forecast is yet more freezing weather, lots of sun but pretty much permanently below until 9th March and then who knows. Friends in the south are Facebooking pictures of trees in blossom. My farm still has a 7ft high x 40ft wide mountain of ice from the plowing. Lake Michigan is almost all iced.

Hopefully next year we will be parked in Arizona/Florida/California.
DuncanK1 is offline   Reply With Quote