Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Irene... Where you gonna go when the Tornado Blow?

...original lyric was "volcano" blow... Hurricane just doesn't fit.

So I want to head inland and upland. TOMORROW. I've got to head back to work to hold the fort so anyone with a good idea of where I should stash the stream until Irene passes, CHIME IN.

I figure that I want to be west of Richmond on high ground (not near a river or damn) with NO trees, but somewhat sheltered from wind. IDEAS PLEASE. I could head for Virginia Highland Haven or Meadows of Dan but that's over 6 hours of driving and I'd prefer 3-4.

Paula
Old 08-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Big discussion on Joe Bastardi weather today....with all the wet weather in the North East in the recent weeks...a major problem will be falling trees. So...don't leave you Airstream under or near trees.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Good luck, try to keep a calm head, I know it's not easy. Been there, done that down here. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Henderson , Nevada
We are near Yorktown and may not have the opportunity to move our 19 ft Bambi. I'll be moving it to higher ground, but wonder should I leave attached to the tow vehicle (small SUV) and risk the SUV getting dragged around by winds hitting the trailer? We are (currently) at the outside edge of hurricane force winds.
rmax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Go west, I have mine sitting on a mountain west of Gettysburg, PA.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
So this may turn into a hurriquake? Or maybe an earthicane?

Somewhere in the hills West of I-95 would probably be best.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Paula,
You might be interested in Misty Mountain here near us. Our Unit is going to be there for a planning meeting for the Virginia Commonwealth Rally this weekend. They have some new sites out from the trees, labeled Vendor 1, Vendor 2, etc. Call them to ask about it if you're interested. I-64 West, Exit 107 Crozet.

Misty mountain camp resort virginia camping, waltons mountain,
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Come park it on our place. We're farther east than you want, but we are zero flood chance and I can park you out of range of anything that may fly. Next to mine, even (an honor in itself!)

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We were headed next toward Jamestown, VA, but have decided to move inland a bit until Irene does whatever she's going to do. Sounds like the Outer Banks are going to get hit hard.

Found a spot at Stony Creek Resort in Greenville, VA, til Sunday am, and are headed for there as I type. Looks to be very pretty, in the foothills and takes Passport America to boot.

Going to do some reading, perhaps have a campfire or two and go by Monticello when we head east again.

Maggie
Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Paula,

I've been wondering what you were going to do and hope you have left by now.

Latest estimates are it may go right over Norfolk area and may still be a Cat. 3 at that point. But some estimates are as far west as central Va. I wouldn't worry about going back to work after stashing the trailer, but would consider Kentucky as a destination. Estimates are sometimes wrong.

Floods are the most destructive parts of a hurricane and can hit far from the path. When hurricanes where common in the middle Atlantic states and the NE from the late '30's to the '60's, floods were the worst of it.

Traffic will soon be worse than usual and the time to go is now.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by randf View Post
We are near Yorktown and may not have the opportunity to move our 19 ft Bambi. I'll be moving it to higher ground, but wonder should I leave attached to the tow vehicle (small SUV) and risk the SUV getting dragged around by winds hitting the trailer? We are (currently) at the outside edge of hurricane force winds.

Probably more risk from flying debris. If you have to leave the TV somewhere anyway leave it hooked. All jacks down and if you can get some swamp anchors in the ground strap the frame down.

If you are on the edge you should be ok, the rounded side of the trailer is a benefit. Best of luck and do not put yourself in danger to save a trailer. Insurance will cover any loss.

I live in New Orleans and we hook the trailer up and leave and take a mini vacation when we have to evacuate. We spent 2 weeks at Fort Wilderness for Katrina. It is the smartest thing to do. Empty the ice box into the trailer and go. Check back and when the power is restored return.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Thought y'all might be interested in the report from Gringo, Airstream owner who rode out the storm in the Turks and Caicos Islands. As has already been noted, their AS is safe and sound in AC splendor in a Texas warehouse, but this is pretty nice reporting from the aftermath of the storm.

Their internet is spotty or I'm sure he would have already checked in here himself.... so I'll take the liberty.

2 Gringos in the Caribbean
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
riding her out

Ours is sitting in storage here in Jersey. Maybe I'll go over tomorrow and put down the stabilizers. Wish I had the generators now.
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
There and back

I ended up at a campground near Appomattox - the trailer was perfectly safe until I went to pick it up and bring it back to Virginia Beach. I stopped for lunch near Petersburg and when I came back to the trailer the rear bumper was dinged and there's some damage to the bottom two segments. (foul language)

After I finally got back to my campground I made two discoveries - I DO have some leaks remaining around the back windows, and the damage to the lower segments came from the floor being punky. (more foul language)

Then to add insult to injury I found that there's a local storage place that would have rented me a space for the duration of the hurricane for $25. Next storm, that's where I'll be.

I'm planning to go to Montreal on Sept 18, but the floor damage will only get worse if I don't hit it hard NOW. Thought I had this solved months ago. So back to the storage facility - they gave me a good weekly rate - so I'll have power to run the saws, and a place to stow the dinette while I do a frame ON replacement of the back 2 to 3 feet of plywood. I'll Rot Doctor the replacement piece until hell won't have it.

Lettuce spray? (horrible pun - think about it.)

Paula