Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I also use a verizon USB720 wireless modem. The only place there was no reception was the the Top of Georgia Airstream Park. I just plugged my Wilson exterior antennea in to the USB & had reception. I also had to do this for my cell phone. Don't let this discourage you from going there. They have free wifi available.

I use an USB extension cord that's 4 feet long. This allows me to put the modem up in the blinds. That way it's near a window & increases the height.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I also use the USB720. I've used a variety of aircards/modems and, to date, it is the best. That extension cord can make a big difference, especially when you're shielded by the aluminum. I also like its capability for an external antenna connection. I fed my line through the front window by drilling a small hole in the aluminum window frame, and clamp the antenna to the solar guard. When not in use it stores nicely between the window and the screen.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We got an AT&T card last fall. It is a pain most of the time. Slow or no service unless parked very near a tower. Lots of disconnects. Wish it was Verizon like our phone. Got it on a "deal" at Costco. No deal. When the contract is up, we WILL switch to Verizon.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Although I have no plans to switch away from Verizon--they have fantastic coverage of the country--truth in advertising compels me to say that I have a love-hate relationship with it.

The reason is that of all the places in the country that I've had service, the absolute worst is at home in Ohio! We are out in the country where there's no cable (hence no Roadrunner) and the telephone company didn't offer DSL until quite recently, after I had signed up for Verizon wireless internet.

The problem here at home is that some days the Verizon wireless works fine (with an outside antenna) and other days the $%^&@ thing won't stay connected for five minutes. (This mirrors the behavior of my Verizon cell phone--some days it works fine and other days it just decides to give a little "beep" and disconnect you in the middle of a call.) I'm pretty sure these problems happen when our local cell is overloaded. Hopefully Verizon will be adding some cells out here soon. . .

And the reason it occurs to me to mention it is that today is one of those days!
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is, that with verizon you can connect with your cell phone connected to the PC with a USB cable. They have a feature that can be added to your voice plan called Mobile Broad Band connect. Since it is a feature not a plan, you can activiate it and deactivate it without a fee. As long as your phone is EVDO capable it should work.
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Myers , Florida
We have Verizon for our cell phones and like the coverage, but since we're not full-timers and just needed to connect for a trip we got a Virgin mobile usb. You pay for it, about $150 then just pay for the time or bandwidth as needed. We're not locked in to a two-year contract, like Verizon offers for the card.
It didn't work in Canada, but there may have been something I could've done to make it work (change the connection or number). Check out the Virgin site.
photostreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #27
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostreamers View Post
We have Verizon for our cell phones and like the coverage, but since we're not full-timers and just needed to connect for a trip we got a Virgin mobile usb. You pay for it, about $150 then just pay for the time or bandwidth as needed. We're not locked in to a two-year contract, like Verizon offers for the card.
It didn't work in Canada, but there may have been something I could've done to make it work (change the connection or number). Check out the Virgin site.
Verizon has a month to month plan for their aircards too. We have several at work that we turn on and off as projects come and go. IIRC the activation fee is $35 and the monthly charge is ~$60 for the larger download. I use a Verizon Crackberry to hookup my personal laptop.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Verizon

I'm at McGrath State Beach right now on Verizon. I have had good coverage even in the Sierras. Seems like I can always pick up a bar or two.
Randy
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEBELLS View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like we should check out Verizon.
Yes on Verizon, but be certain to get a card with a port for an external antenna.

If you are happy with your bare card reception then fine. If not, then install an external antenna and plug it into the card and your reception will be vastly improved. I get 3G service with the external antenna in some pretty remote parts of NM.
Note: By external, I mean outside on top of the Airstream.
As you may surmise, mag mount antennas are not the correct choice :-)
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25 View Post
Note: By external, I mean outside on top of the Airstream.
As you may surmise, mag mount antennas are not the correct choice
Except on an Argosy, maybe?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
We got an AT&T card last fall. It is a pain most of the time. Slow or no service unless parked very near a tower. Lots of disconnects. Wish it was Verizon like our phone. Got it on a "deal" at Costco. No deal. When the contract is up, we WILL switch to Verizon.
Well.......Today I took my AT&T air card into an AT&T store and sold them of my plight. We found that the cell tower is 3 miles as the crow flies from home. The nice young man changed the SIM card in my 881 Sierra Wireless card and it seems to be working like we thought it should. Three miles away, down off the levee on Grand Island, Walnut Grove, hooked to a NetGear wifi router and so far running at almost light speed. I have been connected for a couple of hours now with no problem. Even watched an Airstream video on Youtube. It downloaded faster than it played. No stopping, no waiting.

We'll see how long this good connection lasts.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
USB 720 shutting itself off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Although I have no plans to switch away from Verizon--they have fantastic coverage of the country--but truth in advertising compels me to say that I have a love-hate relationship with it.

The reason is that of all the places in the country that I've had service, the absolute worst is at home in Ohio! We are out in the country where there's no cable (hence no Roadrunner) and the telephone company didn't offer DSL until quite recently, after I had signed up for Verizon wireless internet.

The problem here at home is that some days the Verizon wireless works fine (with an outside antenna) and other days the $%^&@ thing won't stay connected for five minutes. (This mirrors the behavior of my Verizon cell phone--some days it works fine and other days it just decides to give a little "beep" and disconnect you in the middle of a call.) I'm pretty sure these problems happen when our local cell is overloaded. Hopefully Verizon will be adding some cells out here soon. . .
While I'm thinking about it, do any of you USB720 users have your modem simply shut itself off now and then? That's an unusual aspect of the problems I mentioned above. Sometimes it only shuts off for a few seconds and other times it shuts off and stays off--while I was connected. When that happens the only solution is to unplug it and plug it back in. What a pain in the tuchas.

Sounds like it might be a USB problem, but once again it only does it on "bad hair days" when the network is disconnecting me at frequent intervals. On a good day everything works fine.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
My USB720 occasionally shuts itself off. It's rare, but it seems to happen at the most inopportune time. On the other hand, sometimes I can walk away and it will stay connected for hours with no activity
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
My USB720 occasionally shuts itself off. It's rare, but it seems to happen at the most inopportune time. On the other hand, sometimes I can walk away and it will stay connected for hours with no activity
Thanks. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Guess it's the nature of the beast. And yeah, you're right--it always seems to happen when you click the mouse to send a packet or two.

But again, in fairness to Verizon, I never cease to be amazed when I turn on the computer at a campground in West Rabbits Foot and discover two or three bars of Broadband Rev-A without even having to put up my outside antenna.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Well.......Today I took my AT&T air card into an AT&T store and told them of my plight. We found that the cell tower is 3 miles as the crow flies from home. The nice young man changed the SIM card in my 881 Sierra Wireless card and it seems to be working like we thought it should. Three miles away, down off the levee on Grand Island, Walnut Grove, hooked to a NetGear wifi router and so far running at almost light speed. I have been connected for a couple of hours now with no problem. Even watched an Airstream video on Youtube. It downloaded faster than it played. No stopping, no waiting.

We'll see how long this good connection lasts.
AT&T card still connecting just fine. I'm sure that the change that was made yesterday will help connectivity in other areas as well.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #36
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
air card

i too had a worthless ATT...i have verizon and am mostly happy with it...works much better than att...but an att phone seems to work great while traveling....go figure
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I have had an AT&T aircard for 4 years with good results. Yes, there are areas where it does not work but that is in the boonies. Sprint has a new aircard that does not plug into the computer and can handle 4 seperate computers at the same time. A friend of mine has one and he really likes it. I'm thinking about it because there are times when my wife wants to use her laptop and the same time that I am using mine. That is why I am thinking about the Sprint. I'm just not sure about the Sprint coverage when compared to AT&T.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
I'm just not sure about the Sprint coverage when compared to AT&T.
Service area maps are available at each service provider's web site.
I noticed today that the Verizon map is much more detailed than it used to be. Perhaps the others have improved as well.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:16 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Madison , Wisconsin
I work for Verizon and would highly recomend it. Take a close at the maps of the big 3 carriers and it will sell its self! Also Verizon was the only carrier to buy solid coast to coast LTE license so within in a few years there will be solid coast to coast 4G Network at blazing speeds. Good Luck T
tdoescher is offline   Reply With Quote