Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Nashville , Tennessee
If you had to start over again....

Would you chose to buy the Truck and Airstream Trailer or go with the RV?

We keep discussing this over and over. I'm guessing it comes down to personal preference but I appreciate your input.
HutchensGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
New Milford , Pennsylvania
We bought a Classic 30 in hopes of spending the winter in Florida. We are 80 yrs old and am going to retire from our family business. Along came Covid so am undecided about Florida. Should have bought Porsche.
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We often camp with old pals from the Park Service who have a beautiful 42’ Monaco motor home. Every time we are invited over for cocktails or game night we look around at the full size reefer, the granite countertops the room provided by quadruple slides and think “man, we gotta get one of these”.

Then, I get to thinking about the places they can’t go due to the size and weight. How they have to route plan so carefully so they don’t get stuck with a low bridge or weight restrictions. How they still need to pull a toad to have local transportation. $1600 for a set of tires (they have a tag axle), $200 oil changes... 6 mpg and a 125 gallon tank. They have kept it up beautifully but it is near time for a prime mover rebuild, while it is out, do the transmission ($$$$$). Helped him troubleshoot a water level readout once and sat dumbstruck staring at a rack of about two dozen relays...We found it but what a pita.

Our new (used) trailer has far less floor space. No granite. But I can find every component in the thing and fix almost everything. I can get into some very tight places (and get out again). A set of tires is $600. When it is time for a new prime mover — you get a whole new truck with all kinds of gadgets and a warranty.

So, yeah. What I want is to win the lottery and have both. But, while I am waiting for them to call my numbers, I think I’ll stick with my trailer.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I would buy the truck and trailer. And I hate granite. If I was not so hooked on the WBCCI it might not be an Airstream. But probably it would. Probably not a new one.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I would definitely buy the truck/trailer combo again if I had the choice. We rented several trailers and Class A RVs before we bought the Airstream. The flexibility offered by the truck/trailer combo is hard to beat.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Had a argosy minuet for first trailer... then went with Jayco kiwi (which was a dang good trailer), next big heavy box trailers, biggest mistake of my life! Thought that when I got my classA ,was done! What a piece of crap.
Lovin my 75 Overlander, last trailer I’ll ever buy.
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I’ve only had a truck (F-250) and trailer (27’ Airstream). One thing I noticed about the motorhome crowd: they are only parked where there are other motorhomes.

My trailer is by no means small, but I’ve managed to get it a bunch of pretty remote places and many national parks. I love being able to detach and explore. I also like that my trailer will probably last many trucks and that it does not have an engine.

I think if your travel preferences were more moving from point to point than staying in one place, a class C (with a bathroom) would probably be ideal—just get up and go whenever you wanted. I tend to stay in one place for 4-10 days. The family likes setting up, settling in, and “coming home” to the Airstream at the end of the day.

I’m somewhat jealous of my “#vanlife” friends until I see them break out the portapotty. Especially in COVID times I’m very glad to have a self-contained home.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
I like them all. I haven't had a Class A, or C, or even a B, but I'd like to. I've had my fifth wheels and SOBs and my Airtreams and I can't say I've ever had a bad time. It's all good.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
If we did not know better, we would have a Denali 2500 and a bigger Airstream. After two summers traveling we are very happy with our 20 footer (with the great galley) and our GMC Canyon which is so much nicer to drive than the larger TV.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We started out with tents, then renting Class A, and C, then purchased a fifth wheel 25ft, to small purchase another fifth wheel 35 with three slides, to large purchase our 25FB Classic 11 years ago and yet love it. Just back from 16 weeks on the road. TV is a 2012 F150, May think about upgrading it maybe?? Told grandkids the AS will be theirs someday.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I would only want newer versions of the truck and trailer that I presently have. I would opt for an 8' bed vs the short bed though otherwise the setup works really well for our needs.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:23 AM   #12
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
we like what we have, made some changes for more comfort, but overall we love the layout of our 15 Classic, and we're sold on Ford trucks
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:46 AM   #13
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Yep, we’ve been through three airstream trailers, and three different tow vehicles. Very content with the present situation. Gradually moved up in trailer length and tow vehicle capacity as vacation time and funding allowed. Started with an 04, now have a 20, but we’ve been lucky I guess. No big quality issues.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #14
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HutchensGD View Post
Would you chose to buy the Truck and Airstream Trailer or go with the RV?

We keep discussing this over and over. I'm guessing it comes down to personal preference but I appreciate your input.
First of all welcome to the forum. It's great to have you with us!

I think it depends on what type of camping you like to do. If you want to travel from point A to point B and live in it a RV might make sense.

For us we enjoy traveling with the AS. We select a place we would like to go, find a campsite for a few days and then explore the area with our TV. Then we hook up and go to another location and explore that area (it amazes me that there is always something of interest to find and enjoy). So for us a trailer makes the most sense.

I would suggest renting each to see what works best for you!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Been there/ done that! now, 1 pop-up, a class "A", a Casita, and 4 AS's later in 17 years....still asking same questions from time to time! Advantages to both...to sum it up, when you step inside your class A or B or C MH, the vacation starts...not so with your AS...it starts when you unhook, power up, and get out the lawn chairs! We still love the versatility of carrying all our "gear" in the bed of our F250...2 BBQ's (gas & propane), a firepit, generator, extra propane bottle, extra chairs for grandkids, etc...hook up and set up are not an issue...takes about 15-20 min max. When we had the Class A, if/when it went in the shop, we were stuck either at a hotel, or home....waiting in line. The AS's have not had any issues which rendered it unusable, even while on the road...plus, you can drop it and drive around your TV...I have several RV friends with "big, expensive" Class A's, and they are nice, but again, repairs are costly in time and finding spots to camp is costly at most RV resorts for these guys...we can find campgrounds all over our 28' fits into...for now, we are happy with our AS...but dreaming does occur! Maybe someday we will see if the grass is really greener on the other side....again....

footnote...we were at Star Valley RV Resort in Thayne WY last month at one of our RV lots, and they guy next to me in his Prevost MH had a nail in his inside rear tire...used his insurance to summon help...a guy from Pocatello ID, 2.5 hour drive away came to fix...$500 ($100/hour) to fix...facinating to watch this guy fix it, but wow...imagine being on the road somewhere in West Texas!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:32 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmtnpilot View Post
We bought a Classic 30 in hopes of spending the winter in Florida. We are 80 yrs old and am going to retire from our family business. Along came Covid so am undecided about Florida. Should have bought Porsche.
I have found during my life that if comes down to choosing between something and a Porsche, always get the Porsche. My wife is loving her new Boxster S!
mikextr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #17
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Our camping journey started out in a simple 2 person pop-up tent (when we were in our early 50s), just to experience the “outdoor thing”. We were hooked. After a couple of year we needed a tent which would enable us to “stand up” to get dressed. So bigger tent. After a few more year we got tired of sleeping on the ground. This began our travel trailer journey.

Our first trailer was a 2007 16 foot T@B (Fire Ball Design) and we just loved that little trailer. After a few years we wanted a bigger living space so the 2004 International 25 CCD Airstream came along.

Our first love is to Boondock - we go places only a 4wd truck can go and we basically never do the "serviced" campsites thing.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:52 AM   #18
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Quote:
I like them all. I haven't had a Class A, or C, or even a B, but I'd like to. I've had my fifth wheels and SOBs and my Airtreams and I can't say I've ever had a bad time. It's all good.
Ditto; love them all.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
laguna beach , California
I tent camped for 45+ years, bought a SOB “training” trailer, then bought my airstream. Couldn’t be happier! Love Ford trucks and the ability to set up camp, jump in truck, head out to explore, hunt, fish...
sparkymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have been avid Airstreamers since 2005. We have over 2,100 nights of Airstream camping. we are on our third Airstream. Each time we have made the switch of Airstreams, we have done a lot of soul searching and shopping all types of RV's. Thus far, we have always decide to stick with an Airstream travel trailer. For our style of travel, this works the best for us.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote