Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenquest View Post
We prefer the truck trailer option, but that depends on what your travels are like. If we had to do it over again-- Definitely a 3/4 ton diesel tow. after all you are dragging a fully loaded house around the nation. As for the trailer, we like year around traveling and an airstream is not good for that. Our Arctic Fox is ten times the quality of the airstream. was extremely disappointed in the airstream quality.
As a new AS owner (2020 Bambi 20’) since June 2020 I must say I feel a bit dissapointed at times, especially during the 42 days trip I am into right now. The various issues with drawers falling out, window not fully closing, storage bin door hinges not having all the screws, nasty growling and pulsating water pump issues (and yes, I have read all the forum comments on the pumps and am trying to address). I got the impression that at the price points of the AS quality would be tighter. As an aside, I remember renting “mansions” in Jakarta, Indonesia during two periods of 16 years living there. The facade was clamorous (same as shiny AS exterior) but the guts, the functioning parts, left a great deal to be desired and were in constant need of repair.

So with that as prefice, can you share with me, here or PM, what your disappointments were?
Thanks,Stephen
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:32 AM   #62
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
I have found during my life that if comes down to choosing between something and a Porsche, always get the Porsche. My wife is loving her new Boxster S!
Yep !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-22_07-26-20.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	381564  

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:43 AM   #63
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HutchensGD View Post
Would you chose to buy the Truck and Airstream Trailer or go with the RV?

We keep discussing this over and over. I'm guessing it comes down to personal preference but I appreciate your input.
I always get a chuckle when I see wording like this. I guess the answer is YES. I'm sure other people have commented... but both scenarios are RVs, so there is no distinction in that regard.

The OP only has one post at this point so I guess they were just fishing. Maybe they're coming around and checking for responses but it's surprising they haven't made any more comments.

Yes, we know what the OP is attempting to sort out. There is no single answer that works for everyone. Fortunately, there are a wide variety of RVs available but in some ways that makes finding the one that works for your situation more difficult. Decisions, decisions as "they" say.

We have both an Airstream trailer and an Airstream Interstate van. Both work well for us and we tend to use them for different situations. The trailer when we want to travel and will stay for several nights in each location. The van when we are on-the-go and not staying in any one place for more than a night or two. Although we have used both RVs in the opposite scenarios and can make them work. If we had to choose one it would likely be the Class B.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:01 AM   #64
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsasf View Post
What is the overall weight of your AS and tongue weight? How does the Tundra do towing it in terms of gas mileage and gears you have to use on levelground and up hills?
I think it does very well. We switched from the 23 to the 25 in January. I feel less “push” from passing 18 wheelers with the 25. We’ve pulled it 7,000+ miles down to Florida, and then out west to WY and MT. Up and down passes, etc.. I am installing a Roadmaster Active Suspension to the rear springs to deal with rear sag.
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Veh...gs-pm-RAS.aspx

I can’t haul a motorcycle in the bed of the Tundra, and still pull the AS. I drop to 2nd gear on steep descents.
The 5.7 has plenty of power. I use tow/haul mode and keep it in 5th vs 6th. I get 10-11 mpg towing (calculated). With just 120,000 miles on it, it’s still basically like new. I can’t imagine swapping it out for many years. I don’t full time though. Just do two or three big trips per year. The rest of the time our AS is parked at the farm, where it’s our 3rd BR and bath. We will be in it tonight.
Edit, we are getting the 3” lift done in December. We prefer to get pretty far off the grid. In July we camped in the “Narrows” CG on New Fork Lake in WY. Pretty crazy road to get back in to it.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:28 AM   #65

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Nashville , Tennessee
We’ve landed on a Globetrotter 23FB & Ford 150 with max tow package.
HutchensGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:25 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
I have found during my life that if comes down to choosing between something and a Porsche, always get the Porsche. My wife is loving her new Boxster S!

I agree (love my 911) except for tow vehicle. Then just like guys towing their Porsche race cars. F350 makes me feel like one of the guys when I tow mine to the track [emoji6]. Also works well for the Airstream. [emoji846]
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:47 AM   #67
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HutchensGD View Post
We’ve landed on a Globetrotter 23FB & Ford 150 with max tow package.
Congratulations! Taking the first step is the most difficult decision. Hopefully the package will serve you well for many years. There's nothing like seeing that iconic aluminum trailer in your rear view mirror.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsasf View Post
Is a trailer really a vehicle?? According to the Oxford English Dictionary definition of “vehicle” it is “a thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land, such as a car, lorry, or cart”. Given we do not transport people in the AS while towing (at least not legally) and given its main purpose is not to transport goods, but rather to provide accomodation at a destination, then it is arguable as to whether it is, or is not, proper to refer to it as an RV. ��
Oxford Learner's Dictionary definition of "caravan"

a road vehicle without an engine that is pulled by a car, designed for people to live and sleep in, especially when they are on holiday
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Also should mention it is illegal to tow a trailer in the US if it doesn't have a current VEHICLE registration.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
2014 22' FB Sport
East Texas , Texas
My dh and I spend summer (jun - Sep) outside of Traverse City in N. MI. We have a lot in a lovely RV resort and live in our 41' 5th Wheel. But as others have mentioned, that RV pretty much makes the trip from TX and is parked until it goes home in Sept. But...2 bathrooms, washer dryer, residential fridge, etc. (no granite LOL) is really nice for stationary living. Very livable. However, we also haul our Airstream and spend many fun weeks and weekends traveling the area and nearby Canada. Mostly provincial/state parks. It's so easy to tow, I often go solo (he likes golf...a lot). We're both happy. It took us years to settle on what works for us.
Imustwander is offline   Reply With Quote