Old 10-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Golden , Colorado
We prefer the truck trailer option, but that depends on what your travels are like. If we had to do it over again-- Definitely a 3/4 ton diesel tow. after all you are dragging a fully loaded house around the nation. As for the trailer, we like year around traveling and an airstream is not good for that. Our Arctic Fox is ten times the quality of the airstream. was extremely disappointed in the airstream quality.
Ravenquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #42
JGB
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
After many years of tent camping my wife and I became Airstreamers in 2010. Always pulled with 3/4 ton diesel pickup, and have traveled all over the west with this combination. We love our Airstream....However... In Alaska where our kids live and we have a second residence, we recently (this summer) bought a used Ram 1 ton with an Arctic Fox 990 camper. Used it all summer and through the fall in Alaska and found ourselves reconsidering our commitment to Airstream. The camper option has allowed us to get into tight places that would not be possible with truck and trailer. Arctic Fox quality is as good if not better than Airstream. Plus we can tow a boat or an ATV trailer with no issues. The biggest down side of the camper is that you don't have the truck bed for cargo space, but I am amazed at the amount of interior storage Arctic Fox has in there campers.

We will keep both rigs for the time being, but the choice between the camper and the Airstream would be difficult. Being able to tow a boat or a ATV trailer was the biggest plus for us.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

Morgan Hill , California
Agree with all...especially n2916s.

Sightseeing Yellowstone in a BIG driving RV is a big pain. Why bother.

Seems like the first reason you get from driving types is...."well we can just pull over and have lunch"...is that really worth it?
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:53 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spruce , Michigan
If I had it to do all over again.

I have had truck campers and an Airstream 23 foot trailer. Currently have a 2019 28 foot airstream twin bed setup and tow with a 3/4 ton GMC diesel. If I had it to do over, I would get the 1 ton diesel for greater cargo capacity for not much more money. I am currently looking for a crankdown pickup camper to augment the Airstream. We stay in the Airstream for 6 months in the winter and it is perfect for the two of us. During the summer months we want to wander the west and Newfoundland using the truck camper for that shorter duration travel. Love the Airstream, gives us versatility and options that we wouldn't have with other modes of travel. Get the Airstream, you will be glad you did.
Bauerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:04 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Barry's Bay , ON
For our family of four (2 toddlers), I would definitely go with a Class B towing a small airstream.

This would be a better "two room" solution than just having a soundproof curtain between the bedroom (where the kids sleep) and the rest of our 34' trailer.

We converted the front couch into a dinette with kind bed and it's all very comfortable, but having two totally separate living spaces would be nice for a full-timing family.
LiamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Some day I might consider an RV and tow a vehicle. Being able to go somewhere and dock your "home" and then have a vehicle for side trips without packing down your "home" is a must.

We never go anywhere and just stay put.

But for now I am all about 1 engine + "home".
Old 10-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht
Shawnigan Lake , British Columbia
I would always prefer the motorhome over a trailer. While on the road everyone can stay in the motor home and go about their business, if it is sleeping, going to the fridge and making a meal, going to the bathroom what ever it may be you are much more comfortable.
nensihart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #48

Edinboro , Pa
Sold the last MH...now AS?

We’ve been camping in a self-contained MH for 20 years and traveled in them to all lower 48. Our life is different now (retired, empty nesters) and our traveling purpose has changed. No longer need to get somewhere, set up explore and move on to next location. That type of camping is so convenient in a self-contained (A,B or C). We always had the extra vehicle for towing because we had kids who always needed a car. Well, we sold the TOAD and Tiffin and the search is on for an AS to head south for winter and stay for 5-6 months. Thinking 25 or 27’. Since we’ve never had a live-in trailer we’re hoping this is the right move. Thoughts ? Or similar experiences ? Thanks
Kathys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tomball , Texas
I have both. A super C and an Airstream. They both have their merits. We use the Airstream for short trips and the MH for long distance and taking my car to the track. Either way, to me, they are just a portable hotel room. Never been into the camping thing.
B17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

Yuma , Arizona
We have had MH since 1978. Never a trailer. We lived full time for 10 years in a 45' MH. In 2006 we bought a Barth 30' diesel pusher to take to Alaska. We still have it. It worked great on that trip as we went up on the ferrys and drove it around like a big station wagon. Anyway we normally tow our jeep. We have a group we go out with in the winter here in AZ. About half and half trailer an mh.

I like the fact tha traveling we can park, shut down and never have to leave the vehicle. We also don't oftern use campgrounds. So I enjoy this website and read the stuff the I can relate to. But it will always be a MH for us.
gcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Cape Coral , Florida
Finally back home

After 4.5 months on the road seeing this great country of ours we know we made the right decision. We started out with a pop-up in 1983, 1989 bought a Class A, first a 19 ft. Caravelle, now our beloved “Ms. Virginia”, a 23 ft FC.
Never going back again!
Catalytic converter let us down at a rest area on interstate, had to be towed.
This happened twice! Not a cheap experience.
Flat tire twice, again on interstate. Never a good experience.
We now have 4 wheels on the ground and if we have a flat can limp down the road as needed.
We keep newer trucks because we put lots of miles on them enjoying life.
Lastly, our small tow car needed new tires every other year or so because it had small tires and all those revolutions ate rubber.
Stick with a AS!
One Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
If I had it to do all over again.

I'd be born fabulously wealthy, whip-smart and model-looks, but two out of three ain't bad.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Prevost Liberty Coach X3

But I love my 2021 GT 25fb and 2020 F-350 6.7
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We started out in a tent, graduated to a larger tent, then a larger one with cots. Got a Class C for a bit.

When we decided we thought we wanted to be full-timers when we retired we bought a Heartland mpg travel trailer. Liked it, so kept doing the research. Finally decided that a MH would best suit our plans, so sold the mpg and bought our Foretravel.

We've enjoyed the Foretravel, but the maintenance on a diesel pusher gets to be expensive. Figure $600 per tire. A friend has a 34' Airstream and he figures $600 for all six tires.

We'll be switching to an Airstream next year. Yes, I know I've been saying that for some time now, but we're finally in a position to let the Foretravel go at a fairly low price.

We started out not wanting a MH. They burn a LOT of fuel and they're so BIG! Then we figured out that the MH can tow something that doesn't use a lot of fuel and isn't so big. The MH goes from one campsite to the next one, and the towed does the sight-seeing, shopping, etc. When we get the Airstream, it will go from one campsite to the next one, and the truck will do the sightseeing, shopping, etc.

So why did we buy the MH? Convenience and comfort. It is always at a comfortable temperature. We know the Airstream will be either hot or cold when we arrive at the campground because neither the a/c nor the furnace will run while traveling, unlike in the MH. The cat travels in her carrier no matter what, but we'll have to carry it between the two vehicles, and she will complain, but that's what cats do.

I also didn't like carrying all of our stuff in the back of the truck while we were sightseeing, shopping, etc. Knowing what we now know, after seven years, we should have gone with the Airstream to start with.

Too soon old, too late smart.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:00 AM   #55

Edinboro , Pa
Thanks for input

We appreciate all the points of view and will be researching all suggestions. Stay safe, healthy and relaxed ! Kathy
Kathys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:28 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
If I had to do it over I would still buy the trailer. There might be a motor home in my future or sailboat or a nice tent and a new bicycle. That doesn’t mean the trailer was a mistake. Life changes and so do needs.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:09 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Trucks are fun in their own right.
So stick a trailer back there and have even more fun.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:43 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Yep, we’ve been through three airstream trailers, and three different tow vehicles. Very content with the present situation. Gradually moved up in trailer length and tow vehicle capacity as vacation time and funding allowed. Started with an 04, now have a 20, but we’ve been lucky I guess. No big quality issues.
What is the overall weight of your AS and tongue weight? How does the Tundra do towing it in terms of gas mileage and gears you have to use on levelground and up hills?
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
Our camping journey started out in a simple 2 person pop-up tent (when we were in our early 50s), just to experience the “outdoor thing”. We were hooked. After a couple of year we needed a tent which would enable us to “stand up” to get dressed. So bigger tent. After a few more year we got tired of sleeping on the ground. This began our travel trailer journey.

Our first trailer was a 2007 16 foot T@B (Fire Ball Design) and we just loved that little trailer. After a few years we wanted a bigger living space so the 2004 International 25 CCD Airstream came along.

Our first love is to Boondock - we go places only a 4wd truck can go and we basically never do the "serviced" campsites thing.
I have been a bit nervous to pull my 2020 Bambi 20’ (given the low ground clearance) into areas off gravel roads, even though I am no novice when it comes to 4X4 offroading. I tow with 2020 Tundra 5.7L 4X4. How do you find your AS trailer holding up if you are mostly off grid camping?
Old 10-22-2020, 03:36 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
First an Airstream trailer IS an RV your question should be: "Would you chose to buy the Truck and Airstream Trailer or go with the MH?"
Second I would stick with the truck and Airstream RV, TT.
Is a trailer really a vehicle?? According to the Oxford English Dictionary definition of “vehicle” it is “a thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land, such as a car, lorry, or cart”. Given we do not transport people in the AS while towing (at least not legally) and given its main purpose is not to transport goods, but rather to provide accomodation at a destination, then it is arguable as to whether it is, or is not, proper to refer to it as an RV. 😉