Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2021, 10:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If one is good, then two is better?

Back-up cameras, that is.
My "plan A" was to utilize the optional BC-30 that connects to the Garmin RV 770.
One of my rules is "nothing on the windshield with suction cups". The RV770 sits on the dash using a bean bag mount, so anything more had to be creative. The camera worked as advertised, I mounted it inside the rear window and I just lay the transmitter on the bed. The camera stays out of the weather and uses a RAM Mount arm to a 1/4" x 20 threaded insert into the cabinet bottom right where the divider is so nothing shows in the cabinet.

However, the BC-30 has two huge drawbacks, IMO. 1. The resolution is only 295 lines, meaning in low light a bush looks like a rock, or a shadow. Reminds me of a bad VHS copy.
2. It's very wide angle, which means you see a lot, but cars appear as a speck and zoom up in size as they pass. The plus side is I could see my rear bumper which was great for backing.
I also have a RAM arm for the TPMS/cup holder so I could add a monitor on that, drill no holes and remove it for day to day driving.

I decided to keep the mounting concept, but to add a second camera with good resolution. My choices narrowed down to the Furrion, expensive and mixed reviews on pairing. Voyager, and I liked Haloview. I bought the Haloview with the 7" monitor, based on customer service reviews/cost. (I know a lot of you like the mirror mount, but it's not for me.) #7108.
Yes, I knew what a Faraday cage the Airstream could be, but sometimes you just stick your finger in the electric socket.
The camera mount is pretty straight forward, the BC-30 is mounted on what normally would be the bottom mounting plate for the camera, while the Sunshade became the upper attachment.

I attached the monitor using it's T-slot to a 1" Ram Ball. The T-slot is never mentioned, but works great and I don't need the bracket.

Then that attached to the existing 1" Ram Arm using a mount for a motorcycle handlebar.

The weight was too much for the cup holder, so I added a brace to the dash using some offroad supplier's beautifully machined 1" ball to Tundra Vent clamp.
Finally time to push the button. Haloview says they already pair the camera to the monitor as "cam 4". There's a harness for trigger wires (Left turn/right turn/dashcam if you have more cameras. I don't.
It was a matter of plugging the supplied monitor cable into my cigar lighter plug.
The camera gets it's power (currently) from one of the many USB ports through an adapter. I'll remove the USB and install a dedicated 12v. lighter plug for both cameras. Below, you can see the two cameras. I aimed the BC-30 down to see the bumper, and the Haloview back to see the road and traffic behind me.

I was shocked when the camera popped right up. All I did was turn it on! Picture is beautiful! The menu lets you flip the image as required by your application, as well as good control of the brightness, color, etc.
I drove 700 miles and it never dropped out. I even took the monitor antenna and flipped it horizontal. No breakup, but I lost one bar of signal. At my storage yard I disconnected and drove around to check the range. I got hundreds of feet from the camera, even with buildings in the way, and never lost the signal. Haloview claims 900' of range, and I believe it!
I do need the camera to be very close to the glass to eliminate reflections when the Sun is very low on the rear window. I worried that the built in Infra red lighting might wash out the picture at night, but I don't see anything.

I did have to cut the screen, not because of clearance, but the cameras are so wide that the screen is in focus. I never open the back window anyway.
Cudos to Haloview.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm amazed that 268 people read the post and no one commented.
Perhaps I appear inflexible. Who Me?
However, since I wrote that, I added another thousand miles of travel and did find a problem.
IF you are driving at night, in the dark, AND there are no cars following you within 1/8 mile or so, the night lighting comes on automatically, and the rear glass gets blasted with white light. The result is just like when someone tries to take a flash photo in a mirror or through a window. The monitor then gets a blast of white.
The solution I found was to turn off the monitor. Not ideal.
It has to be dark, even streetlights make the image look almost daylight looking. But in pitch black, shooting through the rear window is a no go.
I'm going to call HaloView to see it there's a way to disable the night lighting.
In general I don't drive after dark needing the camera. The amount of light in a campground is probably enough to use the camera, so backing into a site is still possible.
I still like having the cameras inside, easy access to 12 v. and out of the weather.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
I installed the haloview camera a week or so ago. Have had two trips since and it works very well. I did get the mirror monitor and am happy that when itís not connected you can use it like a regular mirror, so no need to disconnect anything.

I have the same issue with suction cups on the windshield as you, and when we had the voyager I used a ball mount on the dashÖFord trucks (at least the last 2 of mine) have a little spot on top of the dash to store things, I guess. I never stored anything there so figured it was a good place to put the monitor. It worked ok, but the resolution is pretty low. I only use the rear camera as a rear view mirror so it wasnít a huge deal, but when I saw how the haloview worked, I knew I would like it.

The install was ok. I put it where the voyager camera wasÖhad to add a little extra sealant to the mounting area to be sure itís leak freeÖso far so good. If there was never a camera mounted to the rear I would have had a hard time drilling into the skin for it, but not an issue this time.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Thanks, Jeff.
I did e-mail Haloview, but while I'm waiting I found this:
https://www.haloview.com/blog/how-to...-backup-camera
It seems I'm not alone, and Haloview does have a way to turn off the night vision. It involves opening up the camera and pulling a 3-pin connector off the board <gulp>. Without the connector, the camera never turns on night vision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unplug-the-cable-E3.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	410515  
Old 01-13-2022, 03:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
It looks like a great system with a nice, clear image on the screen. I agree with your policy on windshield mounts. I hate them. That said, I also hate mounting something in my vehicle that is permanent or that requires drill holes. I’ve been experimenting with a few different options from ProClip. They’re pretty nice, but they won’t effectively hold anything that’s heavy. My other issue is that I can’t stand clutter. I’m not sure I would be able to handle all those screens and stuff on the center console of my truck. That’s quite a bit of information on display there!

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
My other issue is that I canít stand clutter. Iím not sure I would be able to handle all those screens and stuff on the center console of my truck. Thatís quite a bit of information on display there!
Then the mirror mount might be the ticket. Instead of the 7" monitor I have, the RD-10 has a "mirror" that straps over the existing rear view mirror, but uses the same camera.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
The RD-10 includes a signal extender. They say (the haloview people) that if the distance from camera to monitor is over 30-some feet you should use the RD-10. They also have an MC-10 (I think thatís the model) that doesnít include the extender.

I went with the RD-10 since I have heard of others having issues with signal strength on a 27 footer (ours is 25). I wanted a good solid signal but with the RD-10 you have to run a cable from the camera to the extender which isnít quite as clean as the MC-10 would have been. But my wife tells me no one but me will be annoyed by the cable running from the camera up and on to the roof. I will say we have had perfect signal quality.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:37 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
For folks driving Fords, check out builtright industries for their dash mount. I can hold up to 3 RAM mounts. I put a pair on mine for TPMS and our RV rear cam (Furrion) display.