Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleRussell View Post
The problem with your trip is that all summer wouldn't be enough time!!

Avoid Cape Cod in summer when school is out. Too much traffic and crowd hassles then. When kids are in school is a great time to see the Cape.

Run Rt 1 up thru Maine through all the quaint towns and harbors to Acadia.

Take the mail boat out to Isle Au Haut and get off at the National Park there. See America 400 years ago. There's nothing civilized there though. Bring your own lunch and water.

I stay in the little town of Brooklin ME every summer for a class at Wooden Boat School. Nearby Center Harbor and the boat yards are worth a visit.

Mt Katadin in central ME is worth a visit but it's a long way north.

In Vermont I like Lake Champlain. Visit the Shelburn Museum just south of Burlington on Rt 7

In New York my favorite is Lake Placid area. Hike up Mt Jo trail in Adirondak Park. Park in the hikers lot next to Heart Lake. Stop at Chapel Pond.

Driving South from there on the NY Thruway stop at the Shawangunk cliffs near New Paltz. I am told by reliable sources that the town of Woodstock NY is worth a visit. In Penna my home state Gettysburg is a good stop not far off 81 South.

I'm just getting started. Do you see what I mean.

You are so kind sending so much great information!!!!! We were being way too ambitious for this trip. Thanks to you we are learning less is more!
pollymenaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:09 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Head up the Hudson Valley of Upstate New York, rather than along the crowded CT, RI and MA coastline - you'll see enough of the Atlantic in Maine. You also will get to see some beautiful country in New York like the Hudson Valley, Catskills, Adirondacks, and Champlain Valley. Great towns (Like Saratoga Springs), colonial forts, battlefields, and small villages and covered bridges (watch height and weight with AS!) Then you head across Vermont and New Hampshire to Maine. Much more scenic and relaxed than the I-95 corridor!