Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2018, 05:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Boise , Idaho
Idaho-New Jersey-Idaho

Hello All, We will be making our way to New Jersey in early March to pick up our new Globetrotter. Any and all route guidance would be greatly appreciated. We will not be a hurry but will probably have to limit the entire trip to 2 weeks. I know we will need/want to stay S. of Chicago. Plan to keep the new GT winterized until we get home. Thanks so much!
Mniba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Aston , Pennsylvania
One of my trips was Philadelphia to Twin Falls, ID. I took I-70 all the way from Pittsburgh past Grand Junction CO and picked up 6 / 191 just past Moab to head north to Idaho. (through kansas city, denver, etc)

My return trip was in the winter. I had a 2500 that had no issue pulling my 27FB through the Rockies.

May want to consider a more southern route if you're a first timer, or you don't have a lot of power on your tow vehicle.
BASE729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
I've heard that I-76 in Pennsylvania isn't the friendliest road for towing; if you come east via I-70 you'll be dumped onto I-76 in the Pittsburgh area. When we bought our Airstream in Salt Lake City I drove I-80 all the way from SLC to the George Washington Bridge. You could take I-84 down to I-80 at Echo Junction, then I-80 all the way east to the Garden State Parkway in NJ, which will bring you to Lakewood (assuming you're buying your Airstream from Colonial).

I did the trip in early March. I will say that I-80 wasn't pleasant through Wyoming - I hit winter weather between Laramie and Rock Springs on the way west (not towing). You'll want to pay close attention to the weather out there, but since you're from Idaho, you probably don't need me to tell you that.

I only had a week to make the whole round trip, so we drove like maniacs. Twelve hour days and it took 4 days to get from SLC to Long Island, NY towing at 60 mph. You'll have more time, and you should plan to use it - that was not a pleasant trip for us.

Others may have other recommendations, but I believe this is the most direct route.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
We live near Gettysburg, PA and have traveled to Colonial Airstream a couple times.

Bring lots of CASH if you plan to tow the PA Turnpike from Jersey to Ohio.

We've gone from Gettysburg via Route 30 to 202 to 76/276 (PA turnpike) and reverse of that route to save some toll money. This route takes you through a nice part of Lancaster County, Amish country. We also get off Jersey 276 on to Jersey 130 to Jersey 195 to stay off the Jersey Turnpike. (The exit for NJ 130 off NJ 195 heading the other way can be tricky, check it out close on google earth view or you might miss it like I did )

Talking tolls, there's a photo toll in Pa I think for the Delaware bridge, you'd get that in the mail and not even know you went through it unless you're paying real close attention......

A person could run 30 for the most part of PA to avoid turnpike tolls but it'll cost you in time. Plus, the tow on Rt 30 over some of the summits west of Chambersburg might be a little more than a newbie desires. (The turnpike avoids these summits with a series of tunnels).

You could come out of Jersey heading for 95 South to Baltimore then 70 west to 68. This takes you through Western Maryland, which isn't bad for a little Appalachian sightseeing. I'd kind of favor this route just to avoid the PA turnpike and it's hefty tolls.

Truth is, there is no easy way that I've found in and out of Jersey, however, I found that Interstate travel the first time towing really wasn't bad at all.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Do you have an smart phone? If so download “AllStays” app. Show everything that you need to travel in a RV
Old 01-11-2018, 08:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Do you have an smart phone? If so download “AllStays” app. Show everything that you need to travel in a RV
Old 01-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Not sure what your deal is, but I assume you ordered a new coach from Colonial and are planning to pick it up as soon as it is delivered from Ohio.

You can watch the weather. Run I80 there, check out Full Service RV Parks as you make miles. Turn around and roll home, stopping for weather to improve if it closes in on you. Four days to NJ, two days to close and five days home. That gives you about five days slack to deal with the unexpected.

But if it is coming from Jackson Center? Call the folks and see if they will/can trade a sale with your local dealer. Then the Globtrotter can be shipped direct to Idaho. That would save you money and time. Worth a few intense phone calls. Note - the AS dealer in Boise can do an excellent presale prep on your coach. Even if you had to pay them full shop rate to do it, you would be ahead.

Of course you might be able to pick it up closer to JC. The factory is reported to not allow factory pickup, so you may have a steep curve to achieve any of this. Maybe contract directly with Colonial to do the pickup and delivery of your coach. Pay them and go get it from the factory. There has to be a way to improve your plan.

Would arange for special insurance in the event the coach is lost in transit.

Yes, it would be cool to do the pickup trip. It's kind of how we picked up Bimmer. But you are two months too soon and at least two weeks short on time to do a fun trip. The trip home is one we have done in the Fall. It is a long trip. Understand that is a personal opinion and not necessarily fact for you. It can be done and you can do it. I just would not.

Good luck and travel safe. Pat

Edit - guess if you have a trade-in you lose a couple more days on the front end.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mniba1 View Post
Hello All, We will be making our way to New Jersey in early March to pick up our new Globetrotter. Any and all route guidance would be greatly appreciated. We will not be a hurry but will probably have to limit the entire trip to 2 weeks. I know we will need/want to stay S. of Chicago. Plan to keep the new GT winterized until we get home. Thanks so much!
" . . . early March . . . ? "

For the most conservative planning, I would recommend that you map out [for towing back home] a southern route with the option of going further north if the weather permits. This is the longest route and the most time-consuming, but hitting bad weather will mess thing up royally IMO if you try to stay north. Towing in even just a little snow is not for the faint-hearted!

In the 90's we did a NYC -- San Diego -- Napa -- NYC round trip in December to late February, and weather forced us to go very south. You may be luckier with the weather.

Two weeks for this trip will be fine if the weather cooperates. If not, your timing will be tight IMO.

Have fun!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:42 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Boise , Idaho
Wow, thanks to all for the quick and educated responses. We have towed our 19' Serenity extensively (albeit not in winter weather) with a 1500 Ram. Now have a shiny new Platinum F250 so the TV should not be an issue. We certainly would of shopped closer to home but the NJ deal was crazy-even factoring in the trip to pick-up. I think we may be able to work something out with Colonial to put off the pick up until end of March or early April. In the meantime may research some of great suggestions you all have provided.
Thanks again!
Old 01-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Speaking of tolls...you can avoid some of the Garden State Parkway tolls by getting off I-80 at I-287 South in New Jersey, and taking I-287 to the Garden State South. It may save you a few minutes, as well.

Your trip will be much more pleasant if you order an EZ Pass tag for toll payment before you leave. All of the toll agencies along your route accept it. You'll generally pay a lower toll and you won't have to stop and fish out cash at toll booths. You can enroll with any member tolling agency along the route; one agency is EZ Pass NY, at www.e-zpassny.com. As info, if you end up on the I-80 route, you'll be on toll roads from Chicago to the Ohio-Pennsylvania border, then again on the Garden State Parkway in NJ.

Towing in snow is a white-knuckle producing experience. The one time I had to do it will hopefully be the last. Try to make the trip later if you can.

Good luck and enjoy the trip!

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Are you not planning to use it along the way? If the roads are good there is no reason too but keeping it winterized limits you. Many people along your route live in RVs and it's not out of the question unless you just don't want to. I would stay in it along the way if it were me.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:20 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Boise , Idaho
We had planned to dry camp in it on the way home.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Coming east I would use the Pa turnpike all the way into Jersey up 295 and going across 195 to route 9 to Lakewood.

Consider coming back 195 to route 31 north to Clinton NJ and out 78 to route 33 north in Pa to route 80 west. The turnpike towing a trailer on ther Pa pike will eat up any savings you got from buying from Colonial.

Check the delivery date the trailer was delivered to Jersey. Trailer that sit on the lot for several weeks will most likely have dead batteries against the CO2 detector, a problem Airstream has not yet addressed. Colonial may charge them just before you get there but they will not last the trip home.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mniba1 View Post
We had planned to dry camp in it on the way home.
That'll work. Leave it winterized. Don't use any water, toilet, or sinks. Find some campgrounds on the way if you can and use their facilities.

Emergency toilet use would be ok if you're above freezing, or use antifreeze in the black tank, and dump when you get home.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #15
snappykelly

1986 25' Sovereign
North Bend , Oregon
Anyone in Idaho who could inspect a 66 Tradewind ASAP? REady to buy!!! AirstreamVirgin