Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I84 thru CT, where to stay?

We are planning at this point and would be driving through CT on I84. Unfortunately based on driving time my preferred overnight would be west of Hartford. But I am not seeing any places to stay overnight. Anybody offer suggestions on what to do if you need to stay overnight in CT?

Searching the forum indicates that many recommend the Mass Pike over I84. If I used the Mass Pike(I90) instead, are there better possibilities? Are the mass Pike service areas OK for overnight?
Thank,
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Where are you coming from/going to?

If you're coming up from 95 to 84 and just need a decent 1 night stop, you could stay south east of Hartford and stay at Aces High in East Lyme and then hop on 395 to get in to MA and avoid the worst part of the Pike near Springfield, MA.

If you want more than an overnight, you could go a bit further up 395 to Preston, CT and stay at Strawberry Park - to me, the "Manhattan" of campgrounds the place is so alive. :-)

I've stayed in both and can recommend them.

Do you have the AllStays app? Great info and well worth the $10 in my opinion.

Feel free to PM if I can be of any help. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Forgot to mention - check the WBCCI site for possible courtesy parking along the way if its just a one nighter. There may be some in CT.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

I do have Allstays and that is part of why I am frustrated. I will be coming up through PA on 81 and then 84 on up to I95 into Maine. I will be returning the same route.
Your suggestions look way out of the way for my path...
I did look at courtesy and there is one family I will likely contact near Hartford.
My planning has me at a Walmart off I81 in PA because there is nothing else and I need an overnight near Hartford for my normal driving time. Once in Maine, all is well.
Thanks
Larry
Old 06-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
I 84

We've taken I 84 thru Ct yearly on our way to PEI from Tn. This year we are trying Wilderness Lake RV in Willington for the first time, which is east of Hartford because we haven't found any others that we would recommend returning to. We've gotten spoiled in the south with all the beautiful COE and state parks.
Coming from NC, unless you are going thru NY, I don't see how you get to I 90, Mass Pike, without getting on I 84 to at least Hartford where I 91 and I 84 can take you north to the Mass Pike.
We don't find I 84 to be bad thru Danbury and Waterbury but it can get busy thru Hartford so we adjust our time to avoid rush hour. After Hartford it's fine. We chose (understand only our preference) I 84 over I 95 as the latter is more challenging than we're willing to accept thru Ct and north until NH.
Feel free to PM if you think we can help.
GreggH
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Heading east from Wilkes Barre onto I84 you can very likely hit some nasty construction traffic. On heavy travel days the PA/NY state line was is stop and go 5 mph. It added 40 minutes to our trip a few weeks back. Take a look at running I81 up to the NY Thruway then head east (I know lots of tolls). Or, if you choose to head east on I84 look at jumping on the Thruway at Newburgh (there is a KOA) there then run it up to the Mass pike Extension east to 495 up to Maine. This would help you avoid Danbury and Hartford which can be a real treat to drive. Lots of options, just need to determine your affinity for tolls, construction, and traffic. If you do go the I84 route and find you hit the construction traffic you may find you are about Newburgh and ready to stop so the KOA there works out as well.....or at Newburgh there is a Flying J with RV parking. The spaces are not super long, but they are separated from the truck and fuel Island by the entrance drive. Good luck with your decision.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
We took that exact route (I-84) about 6 weeks ago. We passed a Walmart in Eastern NY that had an Airstream and several SOBs obviously staying the night. We wanted to get farther along so we stopped at a Cracker Barrel in Fishkill, CT and asked the manager if we could stay in his back lot. He was very friendly and very accommodating. This was the first time we'd ever stayed or asked to stay anywhere but a campground, but it was a good experience and we will not hesitate to do it again! Saved us $35-50!

There may be Cracker Barrels and Walmarts closer to Hartford if you prefer being closer to there.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
If you just want to catch some sleep as I recall there are 2 or 3 rest areas across CT. The welcome center at the west end is off the road a bit and has a seperate RV parking area. I used to overnight there often when I was delivering trailers
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Hey, thanks. Some recommend 81,84, then 87 the Thruway up to the Mass Pike. It adds some miles but avoids Hartford, etc. Newburgh does not seem far enough but I had not thought of Cracker Barrels. According to Allstays there are Walmarts in the CT route that do not allow overnight. I suppose if I am desperate I can find something but I like to plan these things well ahead. I would try the courtesy parking before just winging it, though.
Larry
Old 06-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
NE CT Campgrounds

Hello Isbrodsky. Not many CG close to 84 in CT but there is one almost on 84 in Ashford CT called Brialee. Can't remember the exit number but it's about 2 minutes off 84, but it's also on the east side of Hartford by about 20 miles. Ashford CT is also only about 10 miles to the MA border. I live in southern CT and I hate driving through Hartford so I take 84 to 691 which brings you over to 91, then take 91N which will bring you back to 84 but your on the east side of Hartford. I have stayed over night in the service plazas on I90.
Good luck
Happy camping nm1oqrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
We are planning at this point and would be driving through CT on I84. Unfortunately based on driving time my preferred overnight would be west of Hartford. But I am not seeing any places to stay overnight. Anybody offer suggestions on what to do if you need to stay overnight in CT?

Searching the forum indicates that many recommend the Mass Pike over I84. If I used the Mass Pike(I90) instead, are there better possibilities? Are the mass Pike service areas OK for overnight?
Thank,
Larry
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Thanks, I may have to look at the mileage using the Mass Pike.
Larry
Old 06-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
There is a Cracker Barrel off route 91 (15 minutes north of Hartford) I think exit 44 or 45. It's in a decent area.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

I see it up at 45 by the airport. Thanks.
Larry
Old 06-14-2014, 06:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

I have had a chance to look at all of your recommendations on the map. On 84 it looks like going east of Hartford and staying at Wilderness Lake is a viable option, or trying a Cracker Barrel or courtesy parking.
But it also looks like going up 87 at Newburgh and catching the Mass Pike has more options. Early stop at Newburgh or on up to the Mass Pike where the Berkshires or Service Plazas give more options. That route is about 40 miles longer but I would get to avoid Hartford completely.
Thank you all for your valuable input!
Larry
Old 06-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Avoiding Hartford is a good thing. My wife and I have made several trips between Florida and Maine and this last time we decided that from now on we'd go the Mass Pike route. We had done it before and avoiding Hartford's traffic (stop-and-go during rush hour) and its many lane changes is worth the extra miles and drive time to avoid it. Why add this kind of stress to what should be a pleasurable trip? We're retirees so we have time and care more about the scenery than white-knuckling in heavy traffic.

By the way, the roads in eastern PA (81 & 84) are terrible! Make sure your shocks are in good condition.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Sad that America cannot maintain our infrastructure...like roads....
Larry