Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
How to place BICYCLE RACK ?

Have a new 2007 25" Safari SE Front Bedroom and would like to carry 2 bicycles on the rig.
My best idea is to place the bikes in some type of support on the rear flat bumper/ storage compartment. Was wondering if anyone has bikes mounted in this location and if so how ?
Thanks Fred
flyfishfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishfred
Have a new 2007 25" Safari SE Front Bedroom and would like to carry 2 bicycles on the rig.
My best idea is to place the bikes in some type of support on the rear flat bumper/ storage compartment. Was wondering if anyone has bikes mounted in this location and if so how ?
Thanks Fred
NEVER NEVER

Installing "anything" on the rear end does two things.

1. Depending on how much weight, it will reduce the tongue weight.

2. It will guarantee you that rear end separation "WILL" take place, which can cost thousands to repair.

Bikes belong in the trailer or in the tow vehicle, only

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Fred,

You can see my bicycle solution here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/457796-post3.html

This is a Pace-Edwards bed cover with http://www.yakima.com/Default.aspxa landing pads, towers, rails, and bike racks. Worked very well for out last 4K mile trip.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Andy,

I agree with your recommendation, but I have a "body-man" (auto and truck body shop) in my Unit that insists that welding a rack to the frame will not cause separation. In fact he has a rack for a small motorcycle welded to the rear of his 27' Safari. It frightens me just to look at it.

He jumped up and down on it and asked me to see if I could see any frame flex, which I couldn't, but then maybe it's too slight for me to detect, and will have some effect over time. He pointed out a 34' in our Unit that has a buckle in front of the triple axel that he says was caused by stress over time on the long frame, but for shorter trailers 27' or less, that won't be a problem. His reasoning is that Airstream's frame builder use the same gauge steel in all trailer frames, so shorter units are stiffer.

Frankly, I like your reason #1 above as justification for not putting anything on the rear. After tuning-up my Equal-i-zer before my last trip, I realize how important proper tongue weight is to anti-sway and handling performance.

Just wondering if you would care to comment from your experience on what my body-man said?

Thanks as always,

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Comeon Andy lets be realistic.
Integral in the bumper is a storage compartment approx 8" X 8" X 6' long that i could load with over 100 pounds of Axes, Mauls, etc. Bicycles are extremely light, certainly lighter than all the "HEAVY" stuff i could through in the storage compartment. Realistically its a perfect place to place bicycles !
Old 12-21-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
_

. , .
hi 'fred

as is the case for every common topic/issue related to 'streamin...

there are easily 50 threads here on this topic...

most of them start with the same basic question...

there are 100s of replies on this issue, photos, how-to'z and warnings...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-go-38296.html

i think it's a crummy place for bikes...

too much dirt, too easily stolen, reduced access to the truck storage (on rear queen bed units) and another 2 feet of stuff to damage when backing up.

but it's your trailer so have at it!

or learn to use the advanced search tool, and read what's been posted already.

no doubt someone has already tried a location and rack style you'll like.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Comeon Andy lets be realistic.
Integral in the bumper is a storage compartment approx 8" X 8" X 6' long that i could load with over 100 pounds of Axes, Mauls, etc. Bicycles are extremely light, certainly lighter than all the "HEAVY" stuff i could through in the storage compartment. Realistically its a perfect place to place bicycles !
Nope.

Don't ask me, ask those that have been there and done that.

We love to have trailers come into our shop to have the rear end separation repaired, especially when they were told by their peers to not put bikes on the rear, or generators or motorcycles, or even light weight scooters. The repairs get "real" expensive quick, and it is "NOT" covered by insurance, since that damage would be considered "long term."

Laws of Physics apply.

Moment arm is the problem.

Lets see how many others chime in and agree to the "nothing on the rear" statement.

Plus, the Airstream factory also says the same.

But since each individual owns their trailer, they are free to make any choice they wish.

It's always better to not say "I told you so," than to say it.

Good luck with your choices.

Andy
Old 12-21-2007, 12:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Laws of Physics apply.
Moment arm is the problem.
Moment arm or not if one or two bicycles cause frame separation then it's a design flaw. I'm not saying it won't happen. In fact I'm quite sure there are a lot of trailers that have suffered this even without having a bike rack. Not being able to drive anywhere with the black water tank full, now that's a pain

2Airs points are equally good reasons to avoid the rear mount. I'll add to that absent mindedness (maybe it's just me ) but it's way to easy to hang a bike or stick something else on the rack and forget to strap it down. "I'll be right back..." Famous last words
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden
Not being able to drive anywhere with the black water tank full, now that's a pain
Full holding tanks, both gray and black, are not the cause of rear end separation.

The primary cause is lack of proper running gear balance.

That's why Airstream now places the batteries in front of the trailer, so that they don't get beat to death at the rear end of the trailer, like they use to.

The second cause is excessive tow vehicle stiffness and/or excessive hitch ratings.

The third cause is bad axles.

A fourth reason, is adding weight to the rear end, even bicycles.

A soft ride for the trailer is a "must."

If for any reason, the ride becomes harsh, then in time, an owner will experience many types of damage to the trailer, along with possible rear end separation.

This is not an opinion, but facts learned from running an Airstream Service department for over 40 years.

Andy
Old 12-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Andy, as I've mentioned before, I really like reading your responses. You have struck my curiosity though. Can you explain what "excessive tow vehicle stiffness and/or excessive hitch rating" is?

Thanks.

Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Thanks guys,
Geeze i couldn't find my post topic until i googled it. Still don't know where it is ?
I liked 2airs points. So i won't mount it back there.
Actually had a mount on my old Ford truck - in front of radiator that i used to use when my camper was on my truck. Guess i could do the same thing or put them inside the camper. Can't do anything on top as my boat is generally there.
Fred
Old 12-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Geeze i couldn't find my post topic until i googled it. Still don't know where it is ?
You may want to use the 'New Posts' search feature...or portal page. 'New Posts' will call up all the threads with posts since your last visit...'Portal' will show the last 25 threads with posts...

To get to either, click the appropriate word(s) in the blue bar right above the ad banner on any page.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Thanks Sheri, i just stumbled onto the new posts, and found it
Old 12-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Thumbs up

'atta boy!

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 12-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Well i originally posted it into the How To Forum/Thread i thought. Maybe someone moved it ?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Thanks guys,
I liked 2airs points. So i won't mount it back there.
Actually had a mount on my old Ford truck - in front of radiator that i used to use when my camper was on my truck. Guess i could do the same thing or put them inside the camper. Can't do anything on top as my boat is generally there.
Fred
Fred, between 2air and Andy they have chalked up almost 8500 posts. I have found Andy often gives what seems to be a strange answer to a problem but can always back it up with facts, 2air always provides detailed answers with sound logic. Enjoy the forums.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Well i originally posted it into the How To Forum/Thread i thought. Maybe someone moved it ?
Yep. The MODS will often move threads to more appropriate forums...the 'Forums How to & Support' forum (where you started this thread) is the place to ask questions about the workings of the forum software, features or trouble-shooting forum related computer problems.

Some members read posts by topic...so your thread would never have been found there ~ so this thread was moved to a more suitable location...just a MOD doing their job.

Shari

Old 12-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Fred, I also considered a rear rack after seeing a few homemade setups. Then, like you had done previously, I installed a simple front hitch, mounted the bikes, removed the seats for better visibility and off we went. A spray bottle and rag cleaned off the bugs prior to use. Sometimes the old KISS works best. "Keep It Simple Stupid". Good luck.
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 12-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Worste accessory ever offered for Airstream: The Red Ant bicycle carrier mounted on the back bumper. The too stiff suspension means the truck bounces along the road rather than absorbing the shocks. This bouncing is transmitted to and amplified at the trailer hitch connection as a vertical movement and thru the W/D hitch bars to the trailer as a bending moment. This gives you more loads in the A frame and impressed load on the frame going all the way back to the wheels. If you have a softer sprung TV it absorbs the bounce and impacts and does not transmit as much to the trailer. A Equalizer hitch like you have with the stiff heavy W/D bars make matters worse than if you had bars with a lower flex modulus. They would allow the trailer and TV to more easily follow the road more easily without transmiting as much vertical toque moment to and from the trailer when they are out of syn going over or thru an obsticale.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
Andy, as I've mentioned before, I really like reading your responses. You have struck my curiosity though. Can you explain what "excessive tow vehicle stiffness and/or excessive hitch rating" is?

Thanks.

Safari-Rick
We don't need a Peter-Bilt to tow and Airstream.

We also don't need 1 ton trucks, dually's and the like.

To me anything over a 1/2 ton spring rate, is excessive tow vehicle stiffness.

The simply test, for any rig is hook it up to your trailer, with the load equalizing bars that you have.

Then get up on the A-frame, and try to bounce up and down.

There should be 2 to 3 inches of bounce.

If not, your over rigged. That over rigging can be the tow vehicle, the load equalizing hitch bars, or both.

I have seen some rigs that wouldn't bounce if you had a 400 pound person jump up and down.

Anything over a soft ride for an Airstream or Argosy trailer, will eventually "GOTCHA" and you will needlessly spend good money for repairs, that could have been 100 percent avoided.

RV service departments love customers who have excessive rigging. Keeps their service department very busy, correcting everything that was torn up.
It's also good for the dealers bank account.

How to avoid the problem, is easy.

Want to improve how a Suburban handles and how it reacts with your trailer??? Soften the springs. You will be amazed.

"Don't over rig." It's a waste of money and gives you and your Airstream, nothing but grief.

Guaranteed.

Andy