Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 07:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Kennesaw , Georgia
How to leave handgun outside of Canada

We travel with a handgun for self defense. We obey all laws pertaining to interstate weapons transport. However, this fall we anticipate crossing into Canada briefly. Has anyone “checked” a weapon in the states before crossing the border? I was thinking about a pawnshop, mailbox rental, airport locker or maybe something else that you might suggest. I know I could just leave it at home, but I would prefer to have it with me since 90% of our upcoming trip will be in the U.S. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Check with Snappy's in Kalispell for storage or Mitchell Supply in Great Falls for storage.

Hittenstiehl
Old 07-22-2021, 01:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I bought a handgun safe and keep it in a hidden spot in the trailer. Is it breaking the law? Well, I broke the law by having a gun in California. They don't recognize any carry license from Ohio or any other state. Will that stop me from protecting my family? No.

Do I carry the weapon on me? No. It is just there if someone tries to break into our trailer with us in it, period. Does it provide comfort knowing I can protect my family? Yes.

I guess what I am saying is to use your best judgment. Crossing a border is a bit more intimidating than crossing state lines. If they decide to do a search and tear your trailer apart, you may be in a bit of trouble. Crossing state line with most states having reciprocity of state gun laws is a different story. Other than California, most state honor gun laws.

Link to our shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6
Old 07-22-2021, 03:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I bought a handgun safe and keep it in a hidden spot in the trailer. Is it breaking the law?
. . .
Yes, of course! [IMO]

If any US citizen with an illegal gun is "found out" in Canada, isn't there a good possibility that Canada will never let that person come back to the US?

Peter

Old 07-22-2021, 05:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We drove some years back into Canada at International Falls and out again the same day at Thunder Bay.

Our Interstate was scanned/x-rayed upon our return.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Old 07-22-2021, 05:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I bought a handgun safe and keep it in a hidden spot in the trailer. Is it breaking the law? Well, I broke the law by having a gun in California. They don't recognize any carry license from Ohio or any other state. Will that stop me from protecting my family? No.

Do I carry the weapon on me? No. It is just there if someone tries to break into our trailer with us in it, period. Does it provide comfort knowing I can protect my family? Yes.

I guess what I am saying is to use your best judgment. Crossing a border is a bit more intimidating than crossing state lines. If they decide to do a search and tear your trailer apart, you may be in a bit of trouble. Crossing state line with most states having reciprocity of state gun laws is a different story. Other than California, most state honor gun laws.
I have no issues with guns but I don’t make the rules. Spending a year or so in jail for unlawful carry in certainly not protecting your family. In Ca that can be up to a year in prison. Other states have even higher penalties and are not very forgiving about it.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
For the OP. There was a thread sometime back about the same issue. I think some local border town police departments store weapons. Maybe call the town where you plan to cross the border.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:57 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
Off site gun storage

Check Gun Shops near your crossing point. A local shop here rents lockers that are in view of the gun range desk; good for quick and frequent access. They would also store a gun in their gun safe, probably more secure but since it is in the safe there is ATF paperwork and access is more cumbersome; probably ideal for you purpose.
Safe travels.
Fred
Old 07-22-2021, 07:44 AM   #9
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

If any US citizen with an illegal gun is "found out" in Canada, isn't there a good possibility that Canada will never let that person come back to the US?
The consequences are different depending on whether it is possession of an illegal or unregistered firearm, or whether it is smuggling a firearm into the country.

A Canadian Border Services Agency spokesperson said:

“Not all firearm seizures will result in criminal charges,” he told iPolitics.“Most firearm interdictions at a port of entry are dealt with solely through the regulatory processes under the Customs Act, which can include seizure or forfeiture of undeclared firearms, seizure of vehicle, and monetary penalties. Criminal investigation and prosecution is pursued if based on the factors of the case, such as the level of concealment of the firearm, harm, or risks to safety and intent.”

Losing a smuggled firearm likely isn’t much of a deal. Losing the vehicle used to smuggle it likely would be.

Canada doesn’t stop people from ever entering the US, that would be up to the US. There aren’t exit controls, unless one is violating bail conditions, for example.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Been to Canada lots of times. They are very concerned about firearms with Americans. If you get a hidden gun into Canada you will also have lied about it to the border patrol. Have had the trailer lightly searched 3 times. They also mentioned they could take it apart and leave the pieces in the street if they choose to. I do not know how to leave the gun in the states but I would sure find a way to do that before I went to a border station. I would rather take a chance of loosing the gun from a storage location than the chance of a couple of years in the Canadian penal system.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ditto.

And if one was caught coming back to the US from Canada with a concealed firearm, would reciprocity require the US BP disclose this to Canada.

Why risk it.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Old 07-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Please do not follow the information from Turk!! (Sorry Turk very poor advice)

The OP asked about Canada and is wanting to do the right thing.

Canada has zero tolerance and is very serious about those particular laws.

As stated you will be asked a variety of questions upon entering. So in addition to transporting over their border there can be additional charges.

Providing false information.
Intent to conceal.

One does not need a weapons charge on your criminal record, do not want your vehicle impounded, court dates etc.

You cannot just turn around when you get uncomfortable with the border entry process.

Hittenstiehl
Old 07-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Calgary , Alberta
Rule #1 = Ne Honest

I’m a Canadian. When I enter the US, I’m 100% honest with US border personnel. As long as you’re being forthright with them, they are usually very professional and helpful.

Anybody that suggests concealing a firearm and lying to a customs and immigration official is giving extremely bad advice. Lying to a US or Canadian official can lead to lifetime inadmissiblity and severe penalties.

Also, actually using a firearm would be a very bad idea in Canada. Our reasonable force laws are quite different than US laws and an American, thinking they were doing the right thing, could find themselves in a world of hurt with our legal system.

On the US side of many Canada US border crossing there are storage warehouses. (Canadians use them as an address for cross border shopping. For instance, buying Battle Born batteries because the couriers charge crazy prices for “transportation of dangerous goods”.) I’m sure that for a few dollars a US citizen can leave his boxes up firearm safely in one of these warehouses.. This means you need to return the same way you came though.

We love to see you guys up here in Canada but please respect that we have different views and laws when it comes to firearms.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:09 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

While we are having a polite discussion of things to leave behind at the border, also check the Canadian rules on pocket knives. They have some concerns about ones you can flip open with one hand. Its complicated by issues like "intent" so spend some time studying up.

Bob
Old 07-22-2021, 10:14 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Brookhaven , Georgia
I did store a pistol at a gun shop once by renting a locker at their shop. Here's a question for anyone with more knowledge. Is it possible to pawn the gun and get it back within the time allotted?
Old 07-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
I checked some smaller pistols at Mitchells and shipped the others to Alaska. The Canadian laws are very restrictive. I have heard from others that have asked border agents and were told it almost impossible to get permission to bring it across even though some are listed as permissible. Just check them at the boarder towns, I even checked my ammo at a campground in storage lockers.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Canadian friend of mine heard rumors of trained dogs used to search RV's since that's most likely place people carry weapons and ammo. I have not been able to confirm that and do not know if, when, and where.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #18
Dream Roper

2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Fletcher , NC
Seeing you are in Georgia, you will want to avoid crossing east of Detroit, as New York is not 2A friendly.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #19
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Dishonest Behavior

Not good for the forum to allow any comment (not even one) promoting dishonest behavior, breaking the law and disrespecting another country’s laws. I think we can do better.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
Full disclosure - am not an attorney. But my understanding is...

* "Concealed carry" rights typically applies to a loaded weapon.

* But even in California, any legal gun owner can legally transport a handgun in a locked container with ammunition also stored in a separate locked container. Preferably the two should be in separate locations of a vehicle.

* In most US states, your trailer is like your home and can be defended. But using the handgun outside the trailer crosses the line.

No idea about Canada but keeping the weapon in a secure storage location in the US while traveling north of the border seems prudent. But I will observe that many people take guns on hunting trips in Canada under the right circumstances...so it can be done.
Closed Thread