Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
I always say no because my less fortunate friends get any "spare" money that I might have.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
Compassion is one thing, but many of these people are where they are due to drug or alcohol abuse. Giving them money just perpetuates these issues as they take your money and go off to buy more drugs or alcohol. This actually delays getting these people the help they need.
Begging is nothing new. Now, I'm not a bible thumper but Jesus said something about "there will be poor always constantly struggling for what they have" He did not offer strategies other than love. I try to not judge.That is not my job. Sure, street people have problems with addictions, and a lot are mentally ill and can't (or won't) get treatment or are thieves. But the panhandler driving a new BMW is certainly the exception and not the rule. Many homeless feel they are safer on the street than in a shelter. Once you fall into the trap of homelessness jobs are just not that easy to come by. So, if they have no bread" let them eat cake". Hard to believe someone pushing all their belongings in a shopping cart and sleeping on the ground in a city park is making $50 to 70K. So I give away a little, occasionally buy someone some food, (but most of the time I don't) and count my blessings. Now, you may accuse me of sounding like some kind of social worker and you would be right. Now I'm not saying you should not be vigilant. Trust in God, but tie up your horse. But how many or you (myself included) go out of their way to avoid panhandlers not so much out of fear but simply to avoid inconvenience.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Begging is nothing new. Now, I'm not a bible thumper but Jesus said something about "there will be poor always constantly struggling for what they have" He did not offer strategies other than love. I try to not judge.That is not my job. Sure, street people have problems with addictions, and a lot are mentally ill and can't (or won't) get treatment or are thieves. But the panhandler driving a new BMW is certainly the exception and not the rule. Many homeless feel they are safer on the street than in a shelter. Once you fall into the trap of homelessness jobs are just not that easy to come by. So, if they have no bread" let them eat cake". Hard to believe someone pushing all their belongings in a shopping cart and sleeping on the ground in a city park is making $50 to 70K. So I give away a little, occasionally buy someone some food, (but most of the time I don't) and count my blessings. Now, you may accuse me of sounding like some kind of social worker and you would be right. Now I'm not saying you should not be vigilant. Trust in God, but tie up your horse. But how many or you (myself included) go out of their way to avoid panhandlers not so much out of fear but simply to avoid inconvenience.

That ^^
Old 02-15-2018, 06:16 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Thank you for all of the good advice!
As I work out all of the scenarios for a safe rv traveling lifestyle. I’ve come to the conclusion ,that pot luck fuel stops and random rest areas increase the chances of
unplanned exposure, to possible uncomfortable situations. Walmart parking lots are out of the question for me. So,I think I should plan my trips and fuel stops with flying J
Loves or similar truck stops as my primary fueling and overnight rest sources.
Why-
Trucks stops have generally great lighting.
They seem to have designated rv parking.
I generally,don’t see loitering of random individuals.
Fuel,rv dump stations are available.
Supplies , rv and tow vehicle emergency repair are close by.
I’m not a trucker,but,it seems truckers do not leave fueling and resting to chance.
They seem to know their fuel and rest stops beforehand. And are planned.
Any advice on this strategy?

Tom
Old 02-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel 1 View Post
As I work out all of the scenarios for a safe rv traveling lifestyle. I’ve come to the conclusion ,that pot luck fuel stops and random rest areas increase the chances of
unplanned exposure, to possible uncomfortable situations. Walmart parking lots are out of the question for me. So,I think I should plan my trips and fuel stops with flying J
Why-
I’m not a trucker,but,it seems truckers do not leave fueling and resting to chance.

Tom
Broken people are everywhere Tom, I’ve had conversations with homeless people in Truck Stops just as often as any other gas stations and rest stops. Rarely are these people dangerous, I have never been accosted in all my life even when I worked downtown. I’m not saying that there are not some who are dangerous, only that they are relatively few in a very large group. If you need any strategy, I suggest learning one that allows for the belief that these people are human and have just as much value as any human life. That they DO deserve food, clothing, and shelter. Avoiding them says more about you than it does about them. It’s hard to change long held beliefs, I know because I was a very different person 17 years ago, but living with myself is much easier now.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #86
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Really eye-opening thread for some hicks from the sticks who have never had this happen, despite many, many road trips. On foot in a city, or squeegee kids at urban intersections, yes, occasionally.

Just to put a historical/literary spin on things, the scam of profitable begging appears in the Sherlock Holmes story, "The Man with the Twisted Lip," first published in London in 1891.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #87
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Anyone here read the Sherlock Holmes story, "The Man With the Twisted Lip"? First published in London in 1891, re: profitable begging.

We've never encountered this panhandling problem, despite many road trips, not to mention normal gassing up close to home; but appreciate the insights.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:17 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I' m glad that I'm the minority giving to panhandlers. That means you haven't been in their shoes. My Dad left a family of 5 when I was 14 and moved to Hawaii to avoid child support. So I can painfully relate. Imagine someone 6'3'' weighing under 100lbs. People treat skinny people like fat people....stickman was my name, and to this day I use it as a password to remind myself how cruel people can be. Until I bought a '63 Corvette, dating was nonexistent...the power of money. So... unless you've walked in their shoes................ When my dad fell ill, I was there all the way to the end. I did not abandon him like he did us..... My reason for giving is obvious.... That was our family once.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:03 AM   #89
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
All the agressive panhandlers move to florida where it is more accomodating to them.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #90
2 Rivet Member

Schoharie , Unknown
Truckers can only drive a certain amount of hours by law and have to stop/rest. Their rest/fuel stops are usually identified in their route planning process...
Old 02-16-2018, 07:37 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
Broken people are everywhere Tom, I’ve had conversations with homeless people in Truck Stops just as often as any other gas stations and rest stops. Rarely are these people dangerous, I have never been accosted in all my life even when I worked downtown. I’m not saying that there are not some who are dangerous, only that they are relatively few in a very large group. If you need any strategy, I suggest learning one that allows for the belief that these people are human and have just as much value as any human life. That they DO deserve food, clothing, and shelter. Avoiding them says more about you than it does about them. It’s hard to change long held beliefs, I know because I was a very different person 17 years ago, but living with myself is much easier now.
We are not talking about the right or the need for food, clothing, or shelter here. We are talking about begging and harassment.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:37 AM   #92
2 Rivet Member

Schoharie , Unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
I' m glad that I'm the minority giving to panhandlers. That means you haven't been in their shoes. My Dad left a family of 5 when I was 14 and moved to Hawaii to avoid child support. So I can painfully relate. Imagine someone 6'3'' weighing under 100lbs. People treat skinny people like fat people....stickman was my name, and to this day I use it as a password to remind myself how cruel people can be. Until I bought a '63 Corvette, dating was nonexistent...the power of money. So... unless you've walked in their shoes................ When my dad fell ill, I was there all the way to the end. I did not abandon him like he did us..... My reason for giving is obvious.... That was our family once.
You pulled yourself out of a bad situation and should be proud of that. But I disagree with the "unless you have walked in their shoes" comment. There are many of us who have overcome poor environments and choices. There is a lot more assistance available for those who want it. We aren't wealthy, but we live debt free and made it on our own. When I see people on foodstamps(EBT in New York) buy top shelf food that isn't in our budget or convicted criminals get a free college education(in New York )that I had to pay for out of my pocket and through military service, I wonder who is the fool. My stance is that you "choose your life, live your choice". I refuse to feel guilty for someone else and the choices they made/make...
Old 02-16-2018, 07:50 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel 1 View Post
Why-

Tom
There are some truck stops that lot lizards hang out and ply there trade and same stops tolerate panhandlers or try to enter big trucks. Drivers will avoid these stops if possible. They are mostly around large cites, such as Chicago, and I can name 3 in that area. You will hear them plying there trade on cb radio. Being in trucking bus. since 1992 We are well aware of these places, only enter long enough to drop a trailer hook another and leave as they are transfer points for some companies
Old 02-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #94

Nevada City , California
Give them money. it's simple. Just put yourself in their shoes and imagine if you were cold and hungry how nice it would be to have 10 bucks to go buy yourself a sandwich and a cuppa coffee.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Noel View Post
Give them money. it's simple. Just put yourself in their shoes and imagine if you were cold and hungry how nice it would be to have 10 bucks to go buy yourself a sandwich and a cuppa coffee.
Or a bottle of vodka and some drugs. If you want to buy them some hot food, good for you. If you want to give them money, you are likely perpetuating a problem.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
We are not talking about the right or the need for food, clothing, or shelter here. We are talking about begging and harassment.
Are you saying begging is harassment?
Old 02-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Are you saying begging is harassment?
Yes, I sure am! My neighborhood has a "no soliciting" sign for the exact same purpose. It is a nuisance.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Noel View Post
Welcome to the forum Erin Noel. There is no easy answer to this problem. Yes some abuse the generosity of people, and will have to answer to someone higher up, when they pass. Small change will do for pushy people, over time it adds up. The ones that don't ask 5 bucks. Sorry about ''unless you've been in our shoes comment'' everyone. This thread brought back some childhood memories.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZTOO View Post
You pulled yourself out of a bad situation and should be proud of that. But I disagree with the "unless you have walked in their shoes" comment. There are many of us who have overcome poor environments and choices. There is a lot more assistance available for those who want it. We aren't wealthy, but we live debt free and made it on our own. When I see people on foodstamps(EBT in New York) buy top shelf food that isn't in our budget or convicted criminals get a free college education(in New York )that I had to pay for out of my pocket and through military service, I wonder who is the fool. My stance is that you "choose your life, live your choice". I refuse to feel guilty for someone else and the choices they made/make...
There's nothing "free" about an education gained while in prison. While it may appear foolish to you (to provide education to prisoners)... the public benefit of that program is to enable that ex-con to be a productive member of society when released. We have a societal choice: Educate kids....or educate former-criminals.... or keep 'em in prison and pay that price.

(I don't feel that life-term-prisoners need to be provided with such benefits, however. Unless a prisoner is returned to society, then society owes them nothing. And, I don't believe there's such-a-thing as "paid for their sins" or "paid their debt to society". Horth thit. That debt is never repaid... only pardoned. Ask the deceased's family about that.
While on this rant, I also favor "truth in sentencing"... Time-off for "good behavior" should mean that the ten-year sentence only lasts ten years. Any day spent in "bad behavior" should be multiplied and added to the sentence.)

Sorry for the rant, but I am a forgiving person. I feel empathy for the poor, the sick, and the indigent. I'm willing to do my part and help, and I have done so in ways I won't reveal here. But responding on-scene with money is a cop-out. If you give them money...you are NOT providing a long-term solution to their predicament... You are Pro-LONGING it. You are taking the easy-way out!
If you want to help them...and you don't feel threatened... give them a ride! Take them to a help-center! Let's see how many "generous" responders here are willing to truly get-down-and-risk real help.... instead of throwing money at it and driving away with their "feel-good/warm-fuzzy" because they think they've done some wonderful thing.
NOT!
Old 02-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #100
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I live in the city and see a lot of pan handlers and homeless people.
Them and the filth they leave behind under the overpasses, behind walls and in alleys.
Mountains of bottles, clothes, uneaten food and litter.
Then there the areas they go to relieve themselves which stink all the way across the street.
I think the correct Biblical quote is "The poor will always be with you."
Unfortunately, so will their poop.
Did you know there are web sites now for San Francisco and surroundings that map where you will find the worst areas of poop - so you can avoid them, or use them if you're so inclined.

https://hornetapp.com/stories/san-fr...o-poop-map-ew/

I was working in one area of Minneapolis last summer where the bums were particularly thick and would usually give a buck or two away to someone when I was stopped for the light. Often others would see an individual score and converge on my pickup hoping for a hand out too.
When I said no they would hiss and swear at me.
There is no love for their fellow man in that crowd and the rules of the jungle prevail amongst them.
I know, I know, God loves them all - and I'm trying to.
But sometimes I think we should take the worst of them and make Soilent Green out of them to feed the others.
Closed Thread