Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Oh boy.
Countryboy spend 30 minutes searching ''Civil Forfeiture Law/ abuse'' on Google or Youtube . Then you will understand. He's not talking about us per se.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphleroy View Post
I have found that an .357 S&W Combat Commando in the front seat works very well ! If you put it in their face they leave in a hurry!
That wouldn’t be very good....you could end up in jail for threating someone with a gun...
Old 02-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Went into store to buy a soda and paid with a $20 bill. Put the change into my purse and walked out to my car that was parked in the next lot. As I opened my door and was ready to get in the driver’s seat, a large man bent over me and (blocking my entry), asked me for change. I told him I didn’t have any. He said, what happened to that change I saw after you bought the soda? I had not seen him at the store or following me. I said, I guess I could spare something but move away so I can get it out. I closed my door and as I was getting it out, I started walking back to the store doling it out bit by bit. I feel fortunate to have gotten out of that and I never carry a purse if I’m alone. I do tuck a few dollars in my pockets so I have ‘beggar money’. It is hard to pass people by but I make sure to contribute to charities that can help.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphleroy View Post
I have found that an .357 S&W Combat Commando in the front seat works very well ! If you put it in their face they leave in a hurry!
That approach can get you in big trouble, even in Texas. You can't point a gun at someone simply asking you for money. Now if they demand money, that is another story!
Old 02-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
the woodlands , Texas
I usually give them food or a drink. Once inside a gas station store I told the guy to pick out $7 worth of food or drink but no alcohol. The woman in front of me berated me for not letting him get alcohol “his only escape”. I said “ My money, my rules”. Go figure.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
For all of you that are providing money to beggars....this only encourages them to continue to beg and possibly become more aggressive. If no one gave them any money, they would not waste their time and we would not be talking about it.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
PALMER , Alaska
Unhappy Hornet Spray 40 60 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfrapples View Post
On the Road, always anticipate the worst.
When the Beggars are walking at the bottom of Offramps from car to car with a sign or hand out, I always put the phone to my ear and engage in a "Fake" Conversation, something like, Globetrotter or Flying Cloud.. bla bla bla.
Always always have a Can of Bear Spray in the Driver's Door Console that you can reach if the person becomes aggressive, Physical, or crosses the plane of the Window. A 357 will accomplish the same things but may delay your trip.
Rest Stop Bathrooms? Gun or Pepper Spray in your pocket. Use the Stalls for everything so your back is not turned.
Speak in a foreign Language if you are approached at a Gas Station.
Awareness will keep you alive and money in your pocket. You earned it. Don't give it away because you made better choices in life...
Bear Spray is great has a holster on your hip hands free. Hornet spray is a conversation stopped and is a good detourant. Leave extra one beside driver's seat and inside trailer door. The mounted mag light flashlight holder with a buddy of hornet spray too. Great for non gun protection for teenagers driving to college or to work.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
A point I don't see made in the responses above:

Many panhandlers are pimped. If you give money to the panhandler, the lion's share of it is actually going to their pimp in many cases. So if your aim is to feel good about yourself by "donating", keep that little tidbit in mind.

This practice is common "street knowledge" around greater Houston, but for some reason, there's not much about it in the news. Reddit, yes, you can see chat about it there. But perhaps because the mainstream news media doesn't want to accidentally cast the homeless as a group in a negative light or something...? I don't know. I do know that, if one watches the goings-on around Houston, it's possible to see these panhandlers dropped off, rounded up later, and presumably, shaken down in the process.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #49
Still Dreaming

1971 29' Ambassador
Sulphur Springs , Texas
Begging is a fact of life. MOST really need some help and cannot get it together themselves. Denying compassion does not help either them or society.
As for the others, the stories given here sound, for the most part, like a lack of situational awareness on our part. If you let a big guy get between you and the door of you car, back off and go back inside. There is no need for confrontation in 99.99% of these encounters. Maybe I'm just "lucky", but I'm 70 years old and have never needed a gun for anything but killing doves.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning G View Post
Begging is a fact of life. MOST really need some help and cannot get it together themselves. Denying compassion does not help either them or society.
As for the others, the stories given here sound, for the most part, like a lack of situational awareness on our part. If you let a big guy get between you and the door of you car, back off and go back inside. There is no need for confrontation in 99.99% of these encounters. Maybe I'm just "lucky", but I'm 70 years old and have never needed a gun for anything but killing doves.
Compassion is one thing, but many of these people are where they are due to drug or alcohol abuse. Giving them money just perpetuates these issues as they take your money and go off to buy more drugs or alcohol. This actually delays getting these people the help they need.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
My response has always been “I never carry cash” works all the time, they get the message , I’m not rude
Old 02-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
If this is true, how do they buy a house and a car? When you need a loan, the bank wants to know the source of your income; and if you want a mortgage, they want to see tax returns to verify income. Are they paying cash for these items?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I keep spare change in my truck console. Mostly pennies. When I think it is legit, I give a handful. Might be half a buck or so. I also often carry apples and offer them. If refused, I know it is a career begger. When they eat, often shaking with hunger, I DO call the Salvation Army and donate for them.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #54
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Once prior to a major snowstorm in Co I see a family on a street corner. I'm in a hurry to a meeting but I stop to let them know I'll bring a bag of burgers to them on my way back....
30 minutes later I bring burgers fries, sodas and big coffees.
As I hand him $30 of McDonald's, he says, no pickles right? Diet Cokes right? No thanks.
I guess beggars are choosers!
I have never and will never give money.
I carry a Desert Eagle, when I can't fire it it serves as a pretty good sledge hammer. My first warning is to yield and step back. Then you're on your own!
Yes your honor I feared for my life, and he was a clear and present danger to my family...
Old 02-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Will refrain from speaking my mind on this one, but suffice to say... "I do get you wrong" and would love to see those scary statistics that frighten you so much about RV Campgrounds in the United States..... absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucos View Post
I have had the gas scam several times travelling in the states but never yet in Canada, although im sure we are running it too as we have lots of beggars as well.

I drive many thousand Kilometres in Mexico as well as the US every year and there are a lots of beggars everywhere.
In Mexico I always have a container in my truck of pesos coins ...most people who ask I give them a few and they are very thankful ... missing limbs I give more.

In the US and Canada I always have some dollar bills/coins and when Ive been approached I give them a buck or 2 usually but not always ...they've always said thank you/ god bless and walked away.
I would estimate this amounts to no more than maybe $10-20 in a month long trip and is much easier than a confrontation .

Never pull out a wallet .... keep it separate !!

The thing that really scares me is knowing there are all kinds of crazies who pack around cannons thinking that is the best solution to the worlds problems .... many people are just down on their luck and some yes are scammers.
Hopefully the scammers partner doesn't shoot you or the wife in the back of the head when you pull the gun on them, over a few bucks!

I think you need to carefully pick your confrontations in this life ,and I honestly am extra careful in the USA as we think most everyone we see is armed and a disagreement could turn deadly in a hurry.

Don't get me wrong we love the USA and our Americans friends ,and I have traveled through the states since I was born (my grandmother lived in Seattle), but we are very aware that an RV park is quite possibly an armed encampment, and you don't want to tell your partying neighbour to please quiet down!!

Is not giving away 1-2$ worth a confrontation?? ..... I guess everyone needs to make their own call.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
A person or supposed victim has to be able to clearly articulate danger and threat not just quote what is taught in classes and online.

Confident educated concealed carriers would never stick their weapons in anyone's face much less just for asking for a handout.

A firm no
Awareness
A safety plan

Hittenstiehl
Old 02-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

Schoharie , Unknown
I understand how people may get uncomfortable with panhandlers, but displaying a weapon is not overly bright. Your CC permit may not be legal in the state your in and LE may not understand if someone reports your actions...
Old 02-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
With a firm voice, calmly tell the panhandler that he/she should leave because you are concerned for the safety your wife/husband and yourself.

Repeat it more loudly, if necessary. Repeating it 3 times is good.

Professional panhandlers will know what you mean.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
Best answer for me is:

I attend CBC and give to others through the church.
Sorry but that is the way my family supports others in need.
Back away, walk away, if possible.
Repeat, repeat, repeat.
But also remember, studies were completed that answer "why" people help others and 55% of the people asked gave the answer as "it gives me a glowing feeling". Regardless of what you do, be safe. Better to have a $5 bill in a pocket than pulling out a wallet.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel 1 View Post
What is the best way to deal with panhandlers at fuel stops and rest areas?
It seems some are very creative with their pitch.
Tom
Really. I have been traveling for 40 years and haven’t thought that this was a problem. Maybe you just look like a sucker.
Closed Thread