Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
Lots of great advice in many posts! (As for getting fuel before stopping. I should do it more often! ) Depending on what’s on the way, we like to limit driving to 250-350 miles in a day. Like to be in camp by 4-5:30 at the latest, so we move start time accordingly. Every 4th day, we (try to) do a “rest day”. Sightseeing, sampling local shopping/food or just relaxing makes for a journey rather than “getting there” mentality. We use 45-50 mph or slower for overall time/distance calculation. Have fun!
TinShanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2twins View Post
So, I'm going to say I know it's been asked. I've read many answers but am a bit in shock with 200-300 miles a day.. I actually need to be somewhere and that would be fine for the way home.

I have driven across country before becoming disabled on the job from chemicals and could stay in motels.. Bay area ca to MN in 2 days.. I can no longer stay in hotels due to a chemical lung condition and disability from it so our new little 16' airstream is awesome... already off gassed and only 2 years old..

Now traveling to MN from CA.. Our last trip N. CA to S. CA should have taken 6 hours driving time, so gave myself extra time to 7 with 2 gas stops and snacks... it still took over 9 hours - yeah, LA traffic. I know we should stop longer since my 83 yo mom is along, but my boys (twins 11) and I just love to get there... we are trying to adjust to laid back travel...

We are going back to the big fly in at Oshkosh WI and have our family in MN we want to see.. I need to know if I'm crazy or if we can make this trip work with my 83 yo Mom.. normally my boys pitch a tent and mom and I stay in Bambi, but RV parks don't allow this and its super tight...

Current plan is from Bay area CA (Livermore)

Day 1 Battle Mountain, NV
436 miles - 7 hours

Day 2 Fort Bridger Wyoming
410 miles 7 hours

Day 3 Black Hills - Custer’s Gulch
210 miles - Staying extra night - Day 4

Day 5 Apple Valley MN
631 miles 10 hours - probably crazy right?

My boys and I would love the adventure.. but need to get my Mom to a relatives house and then we are off to our Oshkosh adventure.. and if anyone here has been camping at Oshkosh I'd love insight!
Most people on this forum will chastise me greatly for posting this, but my longest two legs ever in last 8 years was:
1> Dallas to Gallup, NM in one day, 785 miles and
2> Austin, TX to Tucson, AZ in one day, 887 miles.
Both were first day after a long rest. Also my AS has truck tires, not trailer tires, and is better equipped for 85mph speed limits in west TX. Plus we have a diesel Ford F250, overkill tow vehicle. We left before dawn and drove into the night. But I do NOT recommend this for anyone else. Multiple drivers would help a lot.
Beewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Mesa , Arizona
During my working years as a truck driver I would often run 650-700 miles per day. Now that I am retired I start later and stop earlier because I can. I am very happy to do only 250-300 miles per day. We have done as little as 125 miles because we saw a great place to stop. Enjoy your travel time, don't make it a job.
kdfulsome54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:00 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Ingleside , Illinois
Fortunately I like driving. Going forward I will be looking to somewhat limit my hours. However we have a trip to Yellowstone coming up. Day 1 driving from Fox Lake IL to Fargo ND. Day 2 from Fargo to Billings Montana. I know that those are both 8.5 to 9 hour hauls but when you want to get somewhere you do it. Also, I am going west. Open roads and higher speed limits (I drive at about 70). I don't like driving east or south so much. Went to Top of Georgia a couple of weeks ago. Did an overnight in Frankfort KY on the way there and back. Roads were just so congested. Glad I did not try that after Memorial Day.
JohnandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As mentioned above, there are a lot of constraints.

1) How many drivers and how do they share the load? How many navigators? How do they each do trying to nap in the tow vehicle?

2) How often are stops / breaks needed by the crew? If you have a 20 minute stop every two hours, that has an impact.

3) What kind of gas mileage do you get and how big is your fuel tank? How much "fuel risk" are you willing to take? We tend to take a very careful look at any place we get fuel. That may involve a drive by before pulling in. Some folks don't go below 1/4 tank when towing ...

4) Where are you stopping along the way? There are a lot of places I would not want to pull into after dark. Way to easy to miss something and do some damage. Our normal goal is to be to "end of day" before 5 PM. Are you in a normal campground or a Walmart lot? ....

5) How much of an in route mess do you allow for? At least here on the east coast, a couple hours of delay is not at all uncommon in a typical day of travel. That 5 pm arrival can quickly turns into 7 or 8 PM. Hello darkness ....

6) How early do you get up in the morning? If you typically all are up and going by 5 AM, good for you. I'll see you in a couple hours . If you can get rolling from dead asleep to on the road and fed in under 2 hours, that's doing pretty well.

7) How much time does everybody need in bed? That's not quite the same a sleep time. Eight hours of sleep may equate to nine hours between going to bed and getting up in the morning. If you pull in at 8 PM, ready to set up and do dinner. Getting to bed by 10 may be a stretch. Getting up the next day at 5 AM is 7 hours in bed and not enough sleep for most of us.

8) How fast do you drive? How fast do you drive in traffic? This can be a different answer in different parts of the country. To me, doing 75 to 80 MPH two car lengths from the guy in front of you is not a good idea. There are a lot of folks out there that seem to disagree ....

9) How many days / weeks / months are you doing this? One or two crazy days is not the same thing as 10 or 15 days solid.

That's a list, but it doesn't really cover everything.

If you are going to do 800 miles a day, out here it would look like:

1) Average speed when moving 60 to (maybe) 68 MPH

2) Average % of time stuck in traffic 30%

So net, you are averaging around 50 MHP "on the road".

3) MPG in start stop / up hill / down hill 10 MPG. Fuel fill at 30 gallons so 300 mile range. Fill up ~3 times in 800 miles. Typical fill time (time off the route to time back on route) to get to a pump you can fit at, 20 minutes.

So, you have an hour for fill ups, and 800 miles at 50 mph gets you to 17 hours behind the wheel. If you toss in a stop every couple hours for "needed breaks", that bumps up into the 18 or 19 hour range.

Can you do this? Sure you can. Over the road truck drivers run these sort of hours a lot.

Back the miles down to 400 and you are rolling for 8 hours. You have at least one fill up and a few breaks. Is that 10 hours from roll out to roll in or something less? Depends on how lucky you are that day.

Spend some time on small roads going 30 MPH (and in towns with 20 MPH limits), your average speed will take a hit. That scenic getaway out in the woods *probably* is more than a hundred feet off the interstate ....

So lots of variables and no one simple answer.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I have pushed myself to extremes. I have made the trip twice from Seattle to Minneapolis in just over 18hrs. One time was driving a moving truck while my 70yr old mother drove her car...she was a trooper! I find there is a balance. I can actually go further faster...drive for longer periods for less days. You start hitting that 3-5 days...you need more recovery. Some might find it easier to just go for it and get it done. Possibly wing it...get up early and go as far as possible. Ask your mom how she is doing...it is important to get out of the car and walk at every stop. I made the drive from Malibu to Minneapolis this past February...it’s a nice drive.
Another note... I am 15 minutes from Apple Valley. The AS dealer is about an hour north of Apple valley and quite frankly...useless. If something comes up and you need any fixes, feel free to shoot me a message. I would be more than happy to help if needed.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #27
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Instead of measuring the drive in miles (or kilometers since I’m in Canada), I measure in hours. We take our time in the morning, so we’ll be on the road by 11, maybe earlier. Ideally we want to arrive at the campground before 5 if we’re cooking, or sunset if we’re eating on the road. Setting up camp after dark is a pain. So ideally that means six hours of driving per day. If it’s a scenic drive, then we may want to throw in an extra hour or two for stops.

The maximum safe towing speed with my vehicle is 105 km/h (65 mph). If our route goes through mountains or involves winding back roads, that speed may average down to 80 (50) or less. And depending on the location and the season, we have to plan for traffic slowdowns as well.

So taking all of that into consideration, I plan for a maximum of 600 km (370 mi) per day. I’ve done longer, but it’s a lot less enjoyable.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
. . .
. . . Possibly wing it...get up early and go as far as possible. Ask your mom how she is doing...
. . .
Great companion advice to Post #2 IMO:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Of all the thoughts that come to mind, there is really only one which rises to the top, in my personal opinion:

"Go!"
. . .
Life is short.

Go for it!
. . .
And remember to smell the . . .

. . . once in a while.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think you will be fine. Especially if you have reservations and it does not matter when you arrive. Nothing particularly relaxing about being in a campground when you would rather be going.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinShanty View Post
… Every 4th day, we (try to) do a “rest day”…

It is amazing how a “rest day” can help keep a trip enjoyable.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:58 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Airstream View Post
It is amazing how a “rest day” can help keep a trip enjoyable.
300 a day, no matter how good I feel, leisurely hookup, get the lawn chairs out, BBQ ready, and relax with a cold beer or cocktail.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:35 PM   #32
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
We try to keep our traveling days to about 5-6 hours of driving. If we are going to pull a long day - perhaps 8 hours or more driving - then we'll try to start early in the morning, take a long break at lunch to do something enjoyable, and then driver another few hours in the late afternoon. Also, if we have a long day or two of driving we try to follow that with at least two nights in the same campground so that there is a full day without driving for rest. Otherwise it's starts to become work.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
From your post and many others it seems like the distance and the mileage is certainly doable. Consider you'll be towing at a slower speed than you usually drive without the trailer. And maybe the question should be for your mother can she sit in the car for 10 hours.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Perry , Georgia
Quote:
I know we should stop longer since my 83 yo mom is along, but my boys (twins 11) and I just love to get there... we are trying to adjust to laid back travel...
Ask your Mom this question and think about it, if she is like mine she will tell you what you want to hear. Is that really the answer?
J-K Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:14 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Livermore , California
Great video - thanks for sharing! I can't wait to get on the road.. just super tight with 4 of us in our little Bambi so not wanting too many nights where we can't pitch a tent for the boys..
Mom2twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Livermore , California
Yes this is true and looks like most of the RV stops are flat where we can drive through and not have to unhook the trailer - so easy wake up and get on the road ��
Old 05-22-2021, 04:22 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Livermore , California
That is a long day! I've done it in a car without kids or 83 yo mom and it was rough... Since I'm looking out for 3 others which is tiring in itself I won't go that long. I don't mind driving late since I'm a night owl often up until 3 am but toast the next morning getting up. I also know my Mom can't go that long being diabetic needing to eat etc.. I say if you can do it though go for it!
Old 05-22-2021, 05:12 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Livermore , California
They actually don't take reservations and don't turn anyone away. We do plan to get there the first day to get a space with hookups and stay the entire week. Not bad at $79/night with hookups.

We've always stayed at the Motel 6 at the cheap price of $300/night during the airshow. It's ridiculous when the motel is $30 a night any other time of the year, except football. So, camping is actually quite reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
If you are going to Oshkosh during the big air show, I hope you already have reservations.

If it's at some other time, I've stayed at https://www.oshvegaspalmsresort.com, and while it's nothing much more than a glorified parking lot with full hook ups, it is very reasonably priced (especially with Passport America) and it's directly across the highway from the EAA grounds where you can take the boys to the museum and for a plane ride.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
5-6 hrs max per day.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
When we’re looking to make time/distance I figure avg 55mph assuming mostly interstate driving. With 2 drivers we can do long days but no matter what we stop before dark. I’ve started at sunrise and driven 8+ hrs but it’s all about covering distance when we do that. Also we sleep with the trailer still hooked up so it’s wake up, coffee, breakfast and go.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote