Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2024, 07:33 AM   #1
MSL
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
How Long Will Fridge Stay Cold

My wife and I are planning a Newfoundland trip this coming fall and are wondering how long the Dometic 4.3 cu ft fridge will stay cold. There are two ferry routes; one about 8 hours and the other about 15 hours. We have 2 AGM batteries that I believe are still in good shape, but I'm assuming the fridge will not be powered during the ferry trips (they do not allow use of propane on the ferry).
Thanks, Mark
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Obvious question. What kind of fridge do you have? If it is a gas absorption one then you are correct. I would pack some extra ice into the free space and leave the door closed. Make it an ice box. Wow, a 15 hour ferry ride. Sounds like quite the adventure.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
We took that trip back in 2022. We took the 6-8 hr ferry from Sydney to Port Aux Basques with 2 AGM batteries in our Globetrotter. They do make you turn off the propane. Our refrigerator / freezer stuff made it fine. FWI - We did not have ice cream in there.

You will have a great trip!
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 04:47 PM   #4
MSL
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Was Your Fridge Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
We took that trip back in 2022. We took the 6-8 hr ferry from Sydney to Port Aux Basques with 2 AGM batteries in our Globetrotter. They do make you turn off the propane. Our refrigerator / freezer stuff made it fine. FWI - We did not have ice cream in there.

You will have a great trip!
Just to be clear, it sounds like you were not using your batteries; your fridge was off. Correct?
Old 05-20-2024, 06:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
It would depend on the outside temps. Lower outside temps would allow the fridge to last longer. Temps in the 90s it I don't think it will last 8 hours, highs in the 30s and no heat in the trailer it could last weeks for the fridge temp.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 07:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL View Post
Just to be clear, it sounds like you were not using your batteries; your fridge was off. Correct?
To be clear, our batteries were on. Our refrigerator was off, not using propane or batteries or electric. We took the ferry in late June ( just to give you an idea of the temp).

We met some friends who took the short ferry in and scheduled the long ferry back. Mechanical issues cancelled the return trip. There was a 12 day delay to get a new slot on the long ferry. They ended up working their way back until an opening came up sooner on the short ferry.

We were not on the Airstream caravan. However the caravan takes the short ferry both ways due to the inconsistency of the long ferry.

Moral of the story - take the short ferry both ways and schedule your going and return trip up front as they fill up.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Also, we packed our freezer with 8 lbs of frozen Cod to take back home. It made it fine on the ferry.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I use the blue ice packs in the freezer and refrigerator compartments and add the small battery operated fans. I have towed in 85-90 degree weather and everything was fine for 6 to 9 hour trips. If you make food ahead of time, put it in freezer bags and flatten them so you can put more in the freezer/refrigerator compartments they help as well. The more frozen you can put in, the longer it all stays cold.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:37 AM   #9
MSL
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Thanks, good info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
To be clear, our batteries were on. Our refrigerator was off, not using propane or batteries or electric. We took the ferry in late June ( just to give you an idea of the temp).

We met some friends who took the short ferry in and scheduled the long ferry back. Mechanical issues cancelled the return trip. There was a 12 day delay to get a new slot on the long ferry. They ended up working their way back until an opening came up sooner on the short ferry.

We were not on the Airstream caravan. However the caravan takes the short ferry both ways due to the inconsistency of the long ferry.

Moral of the story - take the short ferry both ways and schedule your going and return trip up front as they fill up.
Thanks! We had decided to take the short ferry both ways just because of scheduling and we figured why not spend more time sightseeing rather than on a ferry.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:38 AM   #10
MSL
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Good feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
I use the blue ice packs in the freezer and refrigerator compartments and add the small battery operated fans. I have towed in 85-90 degree weather and everything was fine for 6 to 9 hour trips. If you make food ahead of time, put it in freezer bags and flatten them so you can put more in the freezer/refrigerator compartments they help as well. The more frozen you can put in, the longer it all stays cold.
Thanks! That's good feedback to have.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Packing ice in the fridge if you have available space is an option, but be aware that these fridges perform poorly as iceboxes. Be certain that the bags the ice is in are waterproof or you will be dealing with a wet floor.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Good recommendation on the compact blue / gel ice packs.
Easier to shuffle in freezer and ir place about the fridge. Compared to the higher tech “Cooler Shock” silver packets which disperse lower cooling temps faster but don’t last near as long as the smaller cells in a passive ice box scenario.
2020 GMC Sierra Denali Diesel 2500 4X4 10 spd 3.43 Int sway/tow controller
1981 Honda Trail CT110 1X0..no sway control
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:29 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
aldinga beach , south australia
we have just returned from an outback trip back of bourke down under.. turning off fridge in morning and back on after several hours at the end of each day touring..no probs..still cold.
running a three way fridge on batts is not ideal without TV connected as they can easily need 12 to 20 amps per hour to run depending...so be very careful if you have a 12v /120v / gas fridge..very hungry on 12v
baggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:06 AM   #14
MSL
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Another Good Point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
Packing ice in the fridge if you have available space is an option, but be aware that these fridges perform poorly as iceboxes. Be certain that the bags the ice is in are waterproof or you will be dealing with a wet floor.
Thanks for another good, important point!
Mark
Old 05-22-2024, 11:11 AM   #15
MSL
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
12 Volt Draw is My Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggs View Post
we have just returned from an outback trip back of bourke down under.. turning off fridge in morning and back on after several hours at the end of each day touring..no probs..still cold.
running a three way fridge on batts is not ideal without TV connected as they can easily need 12 to 20 amps per hour to run depending...so be very careful if you have a 12v /120v / gas fridge..very hungry on 12v
I am concerned about the 12-volt draw, this is why I most likely will shut the fridge off. I do plan to do the math on the current draw and may run a test in my driveway ... both might be helpful, but probably won't help with definite conclusions.
Thanks, Mark
Old 05-23-2024, 07:50 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
NW Chicago 'burbs , Illinois
I was three days camping without electrical hookup, and my fridge was ok (level 5 cooling) while running water pump, lights, radio, TV and furnace in the evening.

by the 3rd day the battery level was somewhere in mid 10v range

day temp was somewhere in the mid 70s and mid 55s in the night

ref: 2022 Bambi, stock 2 AGM batteries with solar panels
Di3s3l_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 01:35 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
We did the trip 10 years ago using the short ferry to Newfoundland and the longer Argentia ferry to return. I don't recall having any undue problems with the freezer either way. You certainly won't on the shorter Port aux Basques route.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 02:00 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Poulsbo , Washington
Gel pack vs gel pack

Re: synthetic ice gel packs
The normal readily available ice pack is designed for fridge temps, and absorbs heat around 34-38 degrees. The more rare, and more expensive deep cold "arctic" ice pack is designed for freezers, and undergoes the phase change in the 20's.
We have used both. The deep cold freezer pack will freeze things you want to keep cool but thawed. The fridge pack will allow ice cream to melt but keeps milk fresh.
All occupy valuable space in either location. So we sometimes "pre-freeze" the Arctic packs ahead of time, then move them to a well insulated cooler to get us through a many-hour downtime.
HappyNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 02:41 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Stop by a lobster / fish market before boarding the ferry. Most of them have dry ice for shipping. Put a small block of dry ice in a carboard box, wrapped with 4 or 5 sheets of newspaper and put in the fridge. Turn on LP when you get off the ferry and restart the fridge, wait one hour, then open door of RV and open door of fridge a few minute to off load CO2 gas
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:51 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Edgewater , Maryland
We did the 17 hr ferry last year and our Dometic was still below 40 degrees on arrival. We did ensure it was around 32 when we departed and we filled some water bottles with water, froze them before hand and moved them to the refrigerator before departure. You should be fine. OBTW, spend 3 weeks there out of 3 months in eastern maritime Canada and it was the highlight. Amazing hiking and paddleboarding. Twillingate was a favorite. We also ferried to Fogo for a few nights and stayed on a beach at the campground there, toured the Fogo Inn, which is affordable way to see and learn about it. Enjoy, Cheers, Greg
Dr. Ohat is offline   Reply With Quote