Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Eugene , Oregon
Wow. That is ritzy if they look down on Airstreams. Glad the rest of your trip was so awesome though!
LaRoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Not to thread jack but folks west of the Mississippi have millions of acres of Gov. land they can stay on for free. Including all along the freeways and highways.

Has anyone considered that over paying to park next to someone else? Spend the night. Save a few dollars and have elbow room and the peace and quiet of no neighbors.

Just a thought to put into the options bin.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:13 PM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Vancouver Is. in the summer has been very busy for years and reservations need to be made way in advance. I learned that through experience 4 or 5 years ago.

Glenwood Springs and Castle Rock are more than 200 miles apart, so Elizabeth you just mean a different town. Living 100 miles from Glenwood I am curious which CG was so exclusive. Glad you made it through, but Vegas in summer has always been subject to 100˚+ temps.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreambob View Post
Just returned home from a 10 day trip in Michigan's Upper Peninsula where we had reserved sites back in January for a July trip. Every place we stayed said they were full, but usually 25% or more of the spaces were empty. Folks are reserving far into the future, just in case and simply not showing up for the reservations they paid for. I guess the cost of the sites are simply not enough to justify the "time" to cancel....
It’s the case with Texas State Parks. Currently at the second busiest park, but open yet “reserved” spaces. Texas is trying to tighten up on those who reserve and don’t show, but I fear little impact when rates are $28 per night.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:56 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
BUCKEYE , AZ
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
Question for all travelers.
Any problems finding an open site in your travels?
Do you travel with or without reservations?
How about years past compared to this year?
We are traveling from AZ to Wa. Been thru New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and now in Montana.
Every campground we have stopped at it full.
Only way to get in is with reservations.
Call before you head out.
mreddyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:08 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Site Availability

Mostly correct here…..weekends are very tough, weekdays not so tough. I think the way the game has to be played is if you absolutely must camp in an area, reservations months in advance is required. If you’re not too particular, we have found it relatively easy to make reservations on the fly. I just need someone much sweeter and smarter than me (read wife) to call ahead. Tetons/Yellowstone, Pensacola, made the reservation. Stops getting there, on the fly. The Dyrt, Campendium, Ultimate Campground apps are your buddies here.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:30 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2018 25' International
Chino Hills , California
KOA in Silt , Colorado 2/3 full

Can highly recommend the KOA in Silt Colorado what a beautiful RV park. Beautiful little town. 7 miles to rifle Colorado gas up and get any supplies at the Walmart.
We came in on Monday 7-12 leaving Thursday 7-15 morning. Backed up next to the Colorado river. Beautiful covered patio with table and chairs, and a gas barbecue .If you need propane they’ll come and get your tank and refill it , need firewood they’ll bring it to your site also . Amazing customer service. professional and friendly staff. Our plan a future trip Colorado. We’re about 168 miles from Denver. Check them out on the website. The best KOA we’ve ever stayed in
Safe travels. See you down the road.
#22624 The Silver Buffalo
Luke Grisott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Not to thread jack but folks west of the Mississippi have millions of acres of Gov. land they can stay on for free. Including all along the freeways and highways.

Has anyone considered that over paying to park next to someone else? Spend the night. Save a few dollars and have elbow room and the peace and quiet of no neighbors.

Just a thought to put into the options bin.
You definitely cannot camp alongside a freeway or highway within the roadway right of way.

Maybe you meant to say on BLM land, where they allow it, to boondock within a half mile or so along a freeway.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:31 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot390 View Post
Seems we are loving camping to death. With the price of housing today being a full time camper is now a viable alternative. The state parks were not designed for this. I may get some flack for this but if your going to live in a camper full time buy a lot and put a well and septic on it. You can always trade lots with like minded if you need a change of scenery.
Wait, are you actually telling people who can't afford to buy a house that they should instead buy land and then make all the infrastructure improvements (access, grading, well, septic, power) as a viable alternative?

You *do* realize that you're probably looking at a bare minimum of $100,000 to do all that, and that construction loans and loans on unimproved land require dramatically more money up front than a mortgage, right? Like 50% down in most cases, if you can get financed at all.
NeonFlamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:54 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonFlamingo View Post
Wait, are you actually telling people who can't afford to buy a house that they should instead buy land and then make all the infrastructure improvements (access, grading, well, septic, power) as a viable alternative?

You *do* realize that you're probably looking at a bare minimum of $100,000 to do all that, and that construction loans and loans on unimproved land require dramatically more money up front than a mortgage, right? Like 50% down in most cases, if you can get financed at all.

There are plenty of level lots available in northern Wis or Mich or Maine for $20K or less. One size does not fit all. The best deal we found was a burnt down cabin which we looked at 2 yrs ago. Parking, electric, well and septic were already there, $40k. And to further the OP's post, it can also be an investment if properly done.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:22 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Boondock Friday & Saturday, then stay at an RV park for the remaining days. You shouldn’t have an issue. …50 amp might be hard to obtain without reservations.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:46 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
You definitely cannot camp alongside a freeway or highway within the roadway right of way.

Maybe you meant to say on BLM land, where they allow it, to boondock within a half mile or so along a freeway.
I assumed everyone knew they could not camp on the freeway or highway. Did you think a member here thought they could? I think they are wiser than that and yes I clearly said Gov. land.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:58 AM   #33
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We have been at a COE park just outside Nashville, TN for the past 5 days. Beautiful park on a lake. According to the online reservation system, it has been booked solid every day. My estimate is that 20% of the sites are currently not occupied.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:26 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreambob View Post
Just returned home from a 10 day trip in Michigan's Upper Peninsula where we had reserved sites back in January for a July trip. Every place we stayed said they were full, but usually 25% or more of the spaces were empty. Folks are reserving far into the future, just in case and simply not showing up for the reservations they paid for. I guess the cost of the sites are simply not enough to justify the "time" to cancel....

Seeing exactly the same thing in Colorado. We are sitting in Lakeview campground in a loop with 8 sites. All sites have been reserved and paid for. This morning, 5 of the sites sit empty. Yesterday morning, we were the only ones here. Have camped 20 days in the last 6 weeks. Have seen about 30% of the sites sitting empty at 4 different campgrounds.
DaveP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Tallahassee , FL
We are sitting in a MS state park right now and there are several empty site, water front too. Just gotta stay away from the mega parks and the major National parks. We have been in a 6 week trip cross country and we have never encountered a "full campground", private or state.
Kawboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:13 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
There are places

Lisa and I, just returned from a shortened trip of the northwest. It was crazy hot so we returned to AZ where it was 10-15 degrees cooler. I don't know if the crowds are worse now.

I don't like reserving in advance, because I'm done with schedules. We were able to find a campsite pretty much wherever we wanted for 6 weeks, including 4th of July weekend.

In WA, MT, WY, the available campsites were often in less desirable parks. Although sometimes only the too expensive parks had a slot. Prices are rising which would tell you that more RV's are plying the roads now, but is possible people have more money.

As prices rise more campgrounds are being built. Outside of Jackson WY there is a new campground of 100ish sites for $125 that was about three quarters full. The amenities were concrete pads and tables at the site, no trees, no grass no bushes, just mud as they were still grading.

I also found a lot of empty campsites at government parks. The worst was in OR, I would guess that at least 50% were empty, assuming the camp host had the correct figures.

I agree the empty sites are because the prices are too low. People can rent them and not show.

Park models are another disturbing trend. We stayed at a couple campgrounds that converted a significant percentage of sites to rooms.

Once you get to an area you can scout out places that are not obviously rv parks. We stayed at motel that added 4 rv sites, didn't find that in our internet searches.

Mike
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
We were recently in a commercial park near the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. All the parks were full, with reservations running a year ahead. Not very many no-shows here this year.

Hard to say how long this demand will last, but everything is packed for the time being.
Phil&Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:32 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Milton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Northsite
I recently returned from a 6800 mile trip through LA, TX, NM, UT, OR, WA, MT, ID, MO, MS and points in between. As was said, the no reservations on weekdays used to work, but it doesn't now. I spent a night in a Phillips Truck stop east of Cheyenne and the Flying J parking lot, Warrenton, MO because of no vacancy.

My next trip is probably early Nov to visit the kids for the holidays. I plan to lock in every RV park stop on the way, no matter what is forecast for travel.
Northsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Granville , Ohio
Peace of mind.. it's important.

Hopefully once summer is over and kids are tied down with education, it shouldl lighten up. Next summer, who knows.
Roadhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #40
Rhode Islander

Currently Looking...
Arcadia , Florida
Mountain View AR, Blue Sky RV park, phone number on line, had a few sites open all last month. Friendly and quiet place.
JandC is offline   Reply With Quote