Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2004, 09:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Question How do you secure....

.....your TT when boondocking? Looks to me like it would be easy to pull up to a trailer left unattended, hook up and pull off. I am sure the thief could not sell the unit but sure could then break in, strip the interior of your possessions and then strip the unit for parts. Am I just being paranoid, or is this a real issue? I am not yet an owner but plan to buy a vintage AS and use it for weekend get away to the mountains. I envision sometimes taking day trips away from base camp with the tow vehicle and leaving the TT behind.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Royce!

The method that I use when my trailer is stored at home, is to use the coupler lock found at:

Coupler Lock

to lock a ball in the hitch that has had its bolt cut off. This probably wouldn't be a deterrent to a determined thief, but my primary concern is discouraging mischevious high school students who might want to play a prank by towing my trailer into the street (I am a high school teacher in a rather small town and have been a victim of various pranks over the years).

I have also tried the coupler lock described in the link, but it doesn't work with every coupler used on Airstreams - - I have one in 2" and one in 2 5/16", but it took several tries to get one that fit the couples on the Overlander and Minuet, and I still fall back to the first method described.

Since I usually stay at either commercial campgrounds or once in a great while a National or State Park, I don't usually lock the hitch when camping.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
The odds are in your favor...

Yes, Royce, it is true that from time to time a travel trailer is stolen. The frequency of theft, however, compared to the numbers of RVs that are out there says that you must be VERY unlucky if you become a victim. You're MUCH more likely to have your RV broken into in storage whether stored at home or stored in a lot somewhere. RV burglary is a fairly common occurance nation-wide since they almost always have a TV, VCR, and some kind of stereo/CD player, and are usually unattended for weeks or months at a time.

Out in the boonies there is always the remote chance that you may be a theft victim, but generally speaking it's pretty remote. You're much more like to be victimized in or near a city where there are lots and lots of people, and statistically waaaay more crooks!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Roger makes a couple of good points, ditto from us.
We keep our's insured, use a coupler lock, try to select better areas to stay in, etc. but all in all the odds are in your/our favor. Take standard precautions and enjoy your travels..
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
A coupler lock will generally keep someone from towing a trailer away, but that's not your biggest concern. Theft and vandalism are more common.

You aren't going to stop someone who doesn't care how much damage they do from getting into an Airstream sitting out by itself.

If you're going to leave a vintage unit alone while boondocking, I'd probably just leave it unlocked, and let them take the TV and other stuff rather than destroy sheetmetal, windows, and other parts that are no longer obtainable. It's also hard to ensure a restored Airstream for anything near what you've invested in it. Hopefully, they'll just be thieves and not vandals.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
lock

Coupler locks are good, but the trailer can still be lifted up, chained and pulled off even with the coupler blocked. A wheel lock that also covers the lug nuts so the tire can't be removed would prevent the trailer from being rolled off. I combine both.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:37 PM   #7
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Exclamation Theft deterrents...

I have found that having some irrascible old coot in a sitting rocking chair wearing bib overalls, worn-out hat, hound dog at his feet and a shotgun across his lap in front of the Airstream usually limits vandal and theft activity in the immediate area...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 08:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

thanks for the suggestions

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like a coupler lock in combination with lockable wheel chocks would deter all but the most determined. Also like the idea of leaving the coach unlocked. That fits in well with my upbringing. We always left keys in the vehicles while hunting. If someone need transportation in an emergency they were welcome to it. As long as I am healthy I can survive about anywhere. Shotgun is a great suggestion also except that I don't plan to sit and stay.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
This has been beaten all 'round the block. There's a lot of detail covered but nothing is sure-fire. I've seen it written -- my impression is that the entrance handle/lock set is over $500 if you're broken in to by that route. Can't figure out why I'd want a plasma TV when out camping -- set it out on the tongue with a sign saying 'Free.'

From my Notepad files (just the ones with a different useful idea):
security for propane bottles
How Do You Keep Em From Stealing It
Low Cost Effective Anti Theft for As!!
Coupler lock recommendation
security from theft
Alarm Systems
Trailer Security (Preventing unauthorized towing)
Weight Distribution Bars-Avoiding a mess

Goofy ideas (yes, going to bed next): You won't be a millionaire if your bankruptcy filing is left on the gaucho in plain sight. Or paint it to look like an Argosy!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 03:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Bob,

Thanks for the links, that pretty well covers it. I will rest easy now.