Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2022, 09:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
How do you keep creepy crawlies out of your trailer

How do you keep creepy crawly critters such as ants, spiders, cockroaches (the insect kind, not the human ones) out of your trailer when camping?

Do you spray your wheels, stabilizers and tongue jack pole with some sort of repellent? Do you sprinkle boric acid powder around your wheels? Diatomaceous (spelling?) earth powder ? Etc, etc.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Maybe I put these questions in the wrong category. No response so far
Old 09-24-2022, 08:23 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We use "bait traps" for thins like ants. They get shoved here or there in the trailer. We also use them when in storage. In particularly hostile environments, we spray the campsite with something relatively benign. Permethrin is our current goto product.

There is an advantage to staying on the "less aggressive" side of things. When the neighbor or camp host inquires after the fact, they are less likely to go nuts .... ( I have empirical data on this ....). The camp host also got what was left in the jug

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

We use "bait traps" for thins like ants. They get shoved here or there in the trailer. We also use them when in storage. In particularly hostile environments, we spray the campsite with something relatively benign. Permethrin is our current goto product.

There is an advantage to staying on the "less aggressive" side of things. When the neighbor or camp host inquires after the fact, they are less likely to go nuts .... ( I have empirical data on this ....). The camp host also got what was left in the jug

Bob
Thanks for the response Bob, I was thinking of scattering some roach and ant traps around the trailer.

My parents used to deposit a line of boric acid powder (environmentally benign) on the ground around their tires, stabilization jacks and the tongue jack at each campsite they visited. They claimed that it kept ants from getting in the trailer. No clue how effective it really is in terms of deterrence.

I've also heard some folks use diatomaceous earth in the same manner. No direct experience myself, that's why I'm asking for the accumulated advice/experience of others.

How did you apply the permethrin? I assume it is in liquid form and you used a manually operated spray bottle to apply it? Where do you apply it?
Old 09-24-2022, 09:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
How do you keep creepy crawlies out of your trailer

We use this with great success for sweet or sugar ants, carpenter ants are a different problem. It takes a day or two the ants bring the laced foodies back to the nest for their last meal.

TERRO T300B Liquid Ant Killer, 12 Bait Stations https://a.co/1dDXT6d
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:11 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
How do you keep creepy crawly critters such as ants, spiders, cockroaches (the insect kind, not the human ones) out of your trailer when camping?

Do you spray your wheels, stabilizers and tongue jack pole with some sort of repellent? Do you sprinkle boric acid powder around your wheels? Diatomaceous (spelling?) earth powder ? Etc, etc.
Comet from the $ store around anything that comes in contact with the ground, stabilizers, hose, surge protector, etc.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
D. Earth never worked for me. I guess it's the process.
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Boric acid will kill insects that eat it….(delayed action)…, permithrin…kills later… in other words they Kill…eventually…..but do not “repel”.

I accidentally discovered a product that also does not officially “repel”…. but it kills so quickly and effectively that I use it sparingly around the wheels, jack, stabilizers….just a very light dusting is all that is required and is relatively safe around pets, etc.

(I discovered this stuff when carpenter ants entered between the wooden-panelled walls of a hunting lodge. The exterminator couldn’t schedule for a week and I wanted them DEAD. NOW.
So I drilled a 1/4” hole in the lid and stuffed a 1/4” piece of flexible tubing down inside the plastic bottle and by squeezing the sides of the bottle I “puffed” some of the white, powdery product into the wall thru a 1/4” hole drilled behind some trim which I was able to remove/replace to hide the hole. That colony was DECEASED within minutes. No more problem.)

Anyway… this stuff is amazing against ants and other little critters: available at Lowe’s: only a tiny amount kills a huge pile of Fire Ants also:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6ABC0A2C-9436-47E7-8B33-279317EA52D4.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	422978  
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:19 AM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I find smearing the inner side of the neighboring rigs tires with peanut butter does wonders. Honey works in a pinch.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
I find smearing the inner side of the neighboring rigs tires with peanut butter does wonders. Honey works in a pinch.
Hahahahahahahahaha!
Old 09-25-2022, 07:50 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:

How did you apply the permethrin? I assume it is in liquid form and you used a manually operated spray bottle to apply it? Where do you apply it?
Hi

It comes in a couple of "flavors". The one we mostly use hooks up to a hose and you spray the water + stuff over the area under the trailer and the nearby parts of the campsite. The main target for us is mosquitos. It also takes care of the other bothersome stuff.

If the only objective is stuff crawling in, a spray bottle with the diluted version in it would probably do fine. We use that approach if there is no water at the site.

Why spray all over the place? For whatever reason, bugs seem to love the area under the trailer. Come out in the morning and you are greeted by a swarm. We got started doing this based on advice from a couple of Airstreamers down in Georgia.

Bob
Old 09-25-2022, 08:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Hi

It comes in a couple of "flavors". The one we mostly use hooks up to a hose and you spray the water + stuff over the area under the trailer and the nearby parts of the campsite. The main target for us is mosquitos. It also takes care of the other bothersome stuff.

If the only objective is stuff crawling in, a spray bottle with the diluted version in it would probably do fine. We use that approach if there is no water at the site.

Why spray all over the place? For whatever reason, bugs seem to love the area under the trailer. Come out in the morning and you are greeted by a swarm. We got started doing this based on advice from a couple of Airstreamers down in Georgia.

Bob
Thanks for the additional information Bob.

I apparently only exist in order to feed mosquitoes, lol.

Typical conversation with my wife at a campout...

Me: "jeez, I am becoming anemic from blood loss via mosquito bites".

Wife: "what mosquitoes?"

So mosquito control is high on my list of concerns.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr_bullet View Post
we use this with great success for sweet or sugar ants, carpenter ants are a different problem. It takes a day or two the ants bring the laced foodies back to the nest for their last meal.

Terro t300b liquid ant killer, 12 bait stations https://a.co/1ddxt6d
Old 09-26-2022, 07:02 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Hi

Our most basic line of defense against mosquitos are Thermacell's:

https://www.thermacell.com

We started off with the butane fired version and they really did not suit us very well. The rechargeable versions seem to work better for us. If we are in a "problem area" one goes out on each side of the door to the trailer. Yes, one should be great for a giant sized area .... more are better.

No, they aren't cheap. Those fluid cartridges cost a bit. At least so far, nobody we've been with has complained about them being "stinky" or had other issues with them. I think we have about a dozen or so between the trailer and the van.

If it's happy hour, everybody gets one to put under their chair .....

Bob
Old 09-26-2022, 08:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Hi

Our most basic line of defense against mosquitos are Thermacell's:

https://www.thermacell.com

We started off with the butane fired version and they really did not suit us very well. The rechargeable versions seem to work better for us. If we are in a "problem area" one goes out on each side of the door to the trailer. Yes, one should be great for a giant sized area .... more are better.

No, they aren't cheap. Those fluid cartridges cost a bit. At least so far, nobody we've been with has complained about them being "stinky" or had other issues with them. I think we have about a dozen or so between the trailer and the van.

If it's happy hour, everybody gets one to put under their chair .....

Bob
Thanks. Not familiar with these. I will take a look at them.

Are they able to handle the intense swarms of the state bird of Alaska (mosquitoes)?
Old 09-27-2022, 05:47 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Are they able to handle the intense swarms of the state bird of Alaska (mosquitoes)?
Hi

That's why we have a dozen of them ....

Yes, at least in the areas we stopped in they did an adequate job on the mosquitos (and other flying bugs) in Alaska, Canada, and the lower 48. They are not a 100% solution. However they will take a trailer window that is packed with mosquitos down to one or two. We saw it happen in a number of locations. ( no, the Thermacell(s) was not inside the trailer. The window just made them easier to count).

Without them, it was difficult to go in and out of the trailer without a pretty major swarm invading .....

Bob
Old 09-27-2022, 06:01 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Hi

They also make the stuff in a version you can spray on your jeans or your shirt. We do that at the start of each season:

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc...st_sto_dp&th=1

There's also a repellent you can put on your skin called Picardin. I have a terrible time keeping the two names straight ....

Bob
Old 09-27-2022, 06:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Cone Hornets!!!!

These are apparently an import from Europe. They were certainly new to me.
Imagine coming back from the shower house in your PJ’s to find a 1.5” stinging thing slamming against the step light, your flashlight, or anything that moves.
You just know that it would LOVE to get inside the brightly lit interior and threaten your nearsighted spouse…
So you just need to unlock both locks, crack the door open, and fling yourself through before the tiny insect brain catches on…
Not my favorite pest. We have encountered them in three NC and VA parks in the last month.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
These are apparently an import from Europe. They were certainly new to me.

Imagine coming back from the shower house in your PJ’s to find a 1.5” stinging thing slamming against the step light, your flashlight, or anything that moves.

You just know that it would LOVE to get inside the brightly lit interior and threaten your nearsighted spouse…

So you just need to unlock both locks, crack the door open, and fling yourself through before the tiny insect brain catches on…

Not my favorite pest. We have encountered them in three NC and VA parks in the last month.
Not sure what you are referring to?
Old 09-27-2022, 02:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
It was in the subject line - Cone Hornets. If you ever meet one, you will not soon forget the encounter. You can google the term for a more complete explanation.
It is a bit of a departure from the original topic. I did not mean to hijack your topic.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote