Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2022, 10:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
How Do You and Your Q Roll.

In the land of camp grilling I have kissed a lot of frogs trying to find the perfect grill that both performs well and is easily portable. My favorite is the Weber Q1200, however, I find it's footprint and lack of carry case options make it not the easiest to store and carry cleanly. For that reason and due to its popularity among Streamers I thought it would be good to start a thread so everyone can share their methods and containers of choice for taking the Q (or others for that matter) on the road in or with the Airstream. I will kick it off by describing what I do along with the pros and cons.

For some time I was using one of the black with yellow lid containers but because of the resesed lid it would not completely close. After the lid blew away I tried storing it in the back of the truck on the Weber portable grill cart. I found this to be messy, hard to maneuver in the truck bed, and the cart was just too flimsy. My current method is a Rubbermaid 35 gallon ActionPacker (see pics) which I carry in the bed of the truck.
Pros - Clean, plenty of room, seals nicely to contain smells (bears), well made.
Cons - Kinda big, pricy, Looks like a tasty cooler to bears, did I mention big.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2761.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	415309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2762.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	415310  

OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
In the land of camp grilling I have kissed a lot of frogs trying to find the perfect grill that both performs well and is easily portable. My favorite is the Weber Q1200, however, I find it's footprint and lack of carry case options make it not the easiest to store and carry cleanly. For that reason and due to its popularity among Streamers I thought it would be good to start a thread so everyone can share their methods and containers of choice for taking the Q (or others for that matter) on the road in or with the Airstream. I will kick it off by describing what I do along with the pros and cons.

For some time I was using one of the black with yellow lid containers but because of the resesed lid it would not completely close. After the lid blew away I tried storing it in the back of the truck on the Weber portable grill cart. I found this to be messy, hard to maneuver in the truck bed, and the cart was just too flimsy. My current method is a Rubbermaid 35 gallon ActionPacker (see pics) which I carry in the bed of the truck.
Pros - Clean, plenty of room, seals nicely to contain smells (bears), well made.
Cons - Kinda big, pricy, Looks like a tasty cooler to bears, did I mention big.
I still use the black and yellow to store most my "stuff"; tablecloths, portable water 5 ga water bottle, single burner portable stove and dual propane Coleman stove. I recently traded my Weber 2200 grill for the 1200 Weber model; I got the 2200 with stand at Costco...was bigger than I thought, and hated the room it took up plus it was awkward to store; didn't need the extra table it came with since my O-Grill it replaced had a round folding table I can use; the Q fits nicely. Anyway, I ran into a guy and his wife at Costco couple months ago, who was lamenting he had purchased the 1200 model, and wished he had purchased the 2200 model...so I stuck my nose into the conversation, and asked if he wanted to "trade" for my 2200 straight across; neither of had used our grills more than a few times, so were still quite new...his came with the weber cover and that's all I use so far. I don't have a container for it. It is small enough that it does not take up much room, and stores easily in my F250 bed with the Honda, round fire pit, propane bottle, etc...I store the extra hose and accessories in a plastic square milk crate. Yours container looks a bit big (how big is it?), but I may look at a storage container like you have now that you showed yours.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 11:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Mine goes in a cheap bag found on amazon. It is way too big for the grill, but keeps the dirty on the inside. Mine rides under the foot of the center queen bed.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 11:18 AM   #4
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
My current frog is the Blackstone 22" grille. With stand, hood, and accoutrements, it fits under the tonneau ok, but takes up about two bins of space. As a solo full-timer, should have gone with the 17 incher, but it sure can cook. If you have a 17 and see me in camp, I'll trade you.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 12:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
gypsydad:
Funny. I have two 1200's and would have traded one for the 2200. I recently acquired an Airstream version on CL and will dedicate my old one for home use. That said, the 1200 is plenty big for the two of us.

I don't think I would mind the Rubbermaid container size so much if I could make better use of the extra inside space. Storing other things like tablecloth, camp stove, etc might make it worth the size. I measured the outside dimensions as 17" tall, 34.5" long, and 19" deep. The Amazon link has internal dimensions.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews

Acheron2010:
We have the 17" Blackstone and love it. We keep it in the 25FB closet in a storage bag. I tend to use the Q grill more these days but I do rotate. I wish the Q would collapse into a more storage friendly form factor like the Blackstone.
Old 04-30-2022, 12:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I have the Airstream version Q1200 and just use the box it came in, which is still in good shape. It's little bigger than the grill so it doesn't take up an inordinate amount of room in the bed of the truck. If it ever gets too ratty, I'll find another solution.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 01:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I’ve got a red 1200. I keep my gas hose, cast iron skillet, grill brush, extra grease pans under the lid and have the Weber grill cover. I just put the whole thing and my 11 lb propane tank in my truck bed. I don’t bother with a stand because it fits in most campsite charcoal grills on the grate.

I’ve also got a green egg mini and a Bertello portable pizza oven but in all honesty I’m working hard to bring less stuff on trips so pulling up camp goes faster.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Mine is on the folding Weber cart made for Q series grills. I fold it down and put it in the truck bed. Easy peasy.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:25 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Island , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Mine goes in a cheap bag found on amazon. It is way too big for the grill, but keeps the dirty on the inside. Mine rides under the foot of the center queen bed.
Jiesuo Grill Cover for Weber Q... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZPTZY6F?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

+1
scotty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Baby Q's

We have both a 1000 and a 1200. 1000 travels with us. I don't put it in anything. I do clean it well after each use. I am that way with everything we own. Put it right in the van along with everything else we travel with.
The 1200 stays at our place in Melbourne, Fl where we winter. Again, keep it clean, clean, clean. We put it in the van when going over to Ft. Wilderness for a week or so. No need for a storage box or carrying case.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:56 PM   #11
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
OrangeCrush

Your profile lists a pickup correct, do you have a cap too?

I have a cap and I made a pretty light but durable shelf that spans the width of the cap and a bit deeper that my Q. The shelf has runners that lock it and other light weight bulky stuff in place up and out of the way above other gear. Access is thru the windoors in the ARE cap. Works for me.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
We have both a 1000 and a 1200. 1000 travels with us. I don't put it in anything. I do clean it well after each use. I am that way with everything we own. Put it right in the van along with everything else we travel with.
The 1200 stays at our place in Melbourne, Fl where we winter. Again, keep it clean, clean, clean. We put it in the van when going over to Ft. Wilderness for a week or so. No need for a storage box or carrying case.
Maybe we’ll see you at the Rat. We go fairly often. Was there last week but Covid cut the trip short.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 06:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I just got rid of the Q and bought a stainless steel BBQ that fits in the rear storage.

It's not quite as good a BBQ as the Q, but the trade off has worked fine for us. There's not much of a difference and the storage works well.
Old 04-30-2022, 07:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Napoleon Travel Q1165, folds up for easy transport and stands upright. Had for over 10 years and still going strong!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Aspirational post for me..... I wish what grill was my problem....wife still working high tech job (you will see her work in computers in 4 years). Just happy to get her to a campground with internet when it works.....so she can vacation half time.....
First world problem I understand.....
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
Napoleon Travel Q1165, folds up for easy transport and stands upright. Had for over 10 years and still going strong!!
Yea, the Napoleon Q is similar to the "O-Grill" I used for 10 years. I actually bought 2 and gave one to my son. I also purchased the "O-Dock" folding grill table, which I now use with my Weber Q; I like this because it folds easy, is very light weight and sturdy, yet stores easily on top of my gear out of the way.

I always line my grills under the burners with heavy duty aluminum foil to make it easier to clean when putting away. If they made an "easy" foil insert for this, I would love to see it.

As for the Blackstone...I have used, and came close to purchase of the dual duty bbq/griddle model, but then DW said, "you have a nice size griddle already"! She was right...when I want to fry bacon or pancakes or big breakfast, the griddle fits nicely over my Coleman 2 burner propane camp stove! Plus, fits in the yellow/black plastic container box next to the Coleman, table cloths, single burner stove, extra cannisters, etc.

Purchased a Trager Ranger smoker, still in the box, on Nextdoor...works great, but still a bit bulky...glad I have the F250...lets see...Trager Ranger, Weber 1200, Volcano Charcoal grill, Outland 863 fire pit, extra 20lb propane bottle...think I am done for a while...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
OrangeCrush

Your profile lists a pickup correct, do you have a cap too?

I have a cap and I made a pretty light but durable shelf that spans the width of the cap and a bit deeper that my Q. The shelf has runners that lock it and other light weight bulky stuff in place up and out of the way above other gear. Access is thru the windoors in the ARE cap. Works for me.

Gary
That sounds interesting. Never thought about building a custom spot in the bed. I have a Retrax Pro cover for hauling bikes. Any pictures of the shelf you made?
Old 05-01-2022, 09:13 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I have the Airstream version Q1200 and just use the box it came in, which is still in good shape. It's little bigger than the grill so it doesn't take up an inordinate amount of room in the bed of the truck. If it ever gets too ratty, I'll find another solution.
Same here.
Jason P M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Escondido , CA
Travel full-time with my Q

Yes we Travel full-time with pretty much everything we own...including our Q that is pretty much used daily for meals...the only thing I do is clean the grease trap when we take off. Attached is how I how I pack it under my locking tonneau cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211003_165300.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	415344  
dsatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:27 AM   #20
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Sorry - I'm with Wayne&Sam here - got rid of the Q and when with a SS BBQ - a bit smaller but MUCH lighter in weight - has a lock down lid and stores easy in a bag. Has it's own regulator attached so runs on any available LP. Have learned to love it and sorry would not go back to the Q. Here are some pic of our "Outdoor Kitchen"
https://www.marriedwithairstream.com/outdoor-cooking/
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote