Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 11:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
How do I find BLM campsites suitable for RVs?

I've read threads about taking Airstreams to BLMs but no hint as to how to find the sites. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Good question

#1 Call the Bureau and ask for help

#2 Visit the Bureau and ask for help

#3 Buy a map. BLM website has links

#4 Then look for tire tracks. The really good spots usually have tire tracks going to them
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
AllStays Camp & RV app includes BLM and NF Campgrounds. Great resource.

Safe Travels,
Jamu Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
If you're looking for dispersed camping sites (boondocking) on BLM managed lands, you're not likely to find a lot of documentation pointing the direction. As mandolinedave said, communication with the BLM field office that manages the area you're looking at is your best bet, other than just heading out and exploring (with a map at your side). Google Earth is also a great resource for finding previously used sites.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
You might be able to find what you need at Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov site, however, the site does not show many camping areas for BLM. It does show alot for the US Forest service. Also most of the land that BLM manages is west of the Mississippi
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Just go to Quartzite Az. and ask any of the 250,000 campers there. As long as your door is 15 ft. from the other guys all is good.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Try Camping, Bureau of Land Management California as well as www.public lands.org.
Recently i spotted a BLM campsite that fit well my travel plans, so called the local BLM office there and got a really full description of the site as well as the approach road. I'll be staying there next month.
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

That should read PublicLands.org
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Litchfield , California
Try the website: ultimatecampgrounds.com. They list BLM, FS, SP and more
jacquie1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
a lot of folks have posted some great free places to camp all over the USA including BLM land . Reviews and comments as to site accessibility etc.

Map of Free Camping Areas | Go Camping for Free!
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #11
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Try Campendium....
Old 08-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

You really do need a map…or something

My brother took me to a few spots he knew of, and he found a few spots to camp. I'm talking beautiful locations. I would have driven right passed them. Some look like ranches, with fences and cattle guards. The BLM leases land to ranchers to keep cattle on, but you are still allowed to camp there.

Then again there is private land. Tell tale signs of private land are, a mail box, an old boot on a post, and or, a no trespassing sign.

I would advise searching on foot, to make sure there is a place to turn around. Some are JUST suited for 4 wheel drive. Look for and beware of soft sand. ( Towing fees are BIG $$$$$ in the middle of nowhere )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Get a map of the area, Sat we are going to Powder river pass and camp on blm ground...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #14
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobum View Post
Try Campendium....
Seriously, only one other person recommended this.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Research

Narrow down the area where you want to camp and search that area and boondocking. Use Google Maps and/or Acme Mapper 2.1
Half the fun from my point of view is doing some armchair research in those long winter months, while the trailer is winterized, searching for those ideal spots to camp, hike and explore.
Check out blogs or websites of other fellow travelers, like Wheelingit Master Campground Map – Wheeling It
Buy a good atlas of the area you are planning on visiting like Benchmark Maps & Atlases

Visit the website of the area your are planning on camping whether it be, BLM, National Forest or State Forest.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Subscribing for interest.
LesMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Long Beach , California
I thought this blog post was a useful how to:

Boondocking For Newbies Part I -> Finding Where To Go – Wheeling It

And Campendium is a good boondock resource, getting better all the time.

Have fun!
Tomboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Shalimar , Florida
Here's how I do it.

I have a business that finds and buys "inholdings" in National Forest, Parks or Wilderness. During my searches I've found a good, but complicated, answer to the question posed in this discussion as follows:

1. Having more experience with National Forests I'd point you there first for several reasons that could make this Comment too long. Go to any National Forests website and look for their "Travel Management" tab;

2. Once you bring up a particular NF's Travel Management map you'll be both lost and found. By that I mean you won't have a clue where to "camp" unless you turn that map into a scouting expedition without your Airstream being attached. Park it in the local Forest Ranger's parking lot or some place he recommends and if you have the skills and common sense necessary for a search, you'll find so many places to camp by yourself that you'll be overwhelmed.

3. Unless you are a lawyer or read fine print for a living, you'll get frustrated with all the map's "fine print", but that's where you find out where "in general" you can camp. By "in general" I mean within a certain distance of a legal "Travel Management" road.

4. As an example, the forest in which I live has a Travel Management map that has a huge list of "Dispersed Camping" locations. It shows you on the map where you can camp within 150' to 300' of one or both sides of a Forest Service road. Additional requirements such as season, etc will be applicable to particular locations.

5. The District Ranger and/or helpful staff can probably tell from talking to you where they would suggest you scout/go. They know their forests and generally, people, very well.

6. Caution is as applicable to this adventure as is the condition of you and/or your equipment. Let me end by saying this ... the peace and quiet you seek can be found, but so too you'll find there are no "witnesses" or immediate help. As beautiful as our country and the public lands we all own are they contrast with the full range of people that exist. Good people, bad people. I'd not go into a strange forest alone unless you can protect yourself and loved ones from the possibilities for danger we see nightly on the news.

Sorry to have ended on such a negative note. To do otherwise would do you and yours a disservice.
ShyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Excellent information, ShyAnn!

Thank you for taking the time to make this post.

Maggie
Old 08-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Maybe this is obvious, but I thought it might be useful to note that the BLM has developed campgrounds as well as dispersed camping. Some areas have strict rules regarding dispersed camping -- for example, the Wedge in Utah's San Rafael Swell has designated dispersed sites, and all other camping is prohibited. 10 years ago, you could camp wherever you wanted. So, as others have noted, contacting the field office is your best bet for accurate information.

CQ
Seecue is offline   Reply With Quote