Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 07:05 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I used to live in Dripping Springs, TX back when it was a sleepy small town. I remember what an ordeal it was when the temperature dropped that low. Texans aren’t used to that!
You've got that right, at least in S. Texas. We're just not prepared for sustained below freezing. This is the first time in 3-1/2 years of ownership I've had to winterize my class b.

Not looking for sympathy, just a cautionary tale of what be unprepared gets you:

Were in our 30th straight hour in near freezing temperatures without electricity. And the electric utility overlords say if you don't have power now, don't count on it coming back on any time soon. So much for Texas having it's own Power Grid.

Oh, and did I mention no water either? Well some water if you count a trickle that you have to boil before consuming.

But I'm fighting back with technology of my own. I have a generator in the van. But instead of running it all the time , I just run it about 3-4 hours a day to recharge the van batteries and bring that power into the house to keep the refrigerator on. Some of that time, like now, I'm using it to power up my internet modem, router, and laptop to stay connected. Even have TV to watch since the local cable is still up and running.

Tomorrow night we get back down to 24 degrees, cold house, and no water to drip the pipes if pressure goes any lower. So dead plants will be the least of our worries if water pipes freeze and break. Will probably sleep in the van that night using the propane furnace to stay warm.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:08 PM   #42
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
You Should Be Fine

Two Answers:

Shore Power
o conserve propane by using an electric heater
o disconnect water & bring water filter and hoses
inside to keep them warm
o use an electric mattress pad & down comforter
o at night, set furnace to 43 degrees to keep pipes
warm

Boondocking
o wear merino wool socks & base layers, wool hat
and down jacket in trailer to help conserve battery
and propane
o at night, set furnace to 43 degrees to keep pipes
warm
o down comforter
o spoon for extra warmth

These simple tactics have worked well for us: even in single digit temps. We’ve elected not to use a generator as a backup. We feel that lithium batteries and solar panels are sufficient for our benchmark of being able to boondock for two days in below freezing temperatures.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:55 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Calistoga , California
You will be fine!

I stuck stuck in Martha at the Marfa Yacht Club (very cool Airstream only camp) about a month ago in a massive snowstorm and 9° weather for two days. I have a 22 foot Bambi and ran the propane heater the entire time . Everything was fine! I even used very little propane considering. Bundle up!

PS - be aware that your gray and black tank valve will be stuck. Do not panic and pull on them! They will break off ! But they do thaw eventually and you’ll be able to drain your tanks. A nice hot pot of water does the trick beautifully!
ArthurG-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:56 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Calistoga , California
Do not use electric heat if the temp is below 30. Just use your propane. Our rigs are very efficient!
ArthurG-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:27 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Forney , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurG-2020 View Post
Do not use electric heat if the temp is below 30. Just use your propane. Our rigs are very efficient!
Why not?
Texas Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:25 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
anycity , New Hampshire
We lived in our 30' 1983 Soveign thru two NH winters 20 yrs ago. Although we modified our AS with tank heaters and a larger furnace, what we didn't count on was the low rate of propane off gassing in the 30lb tanks. It wouldn't keep up with the furnace during really cold nights and would shut down the heat. We remidied this by renting a 250lb tank that allowed more free space in the tank for off gassing.
Tim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:23 AM   #47
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim J View Post
We lived in our 30' 1983 Soveign thru two NH winters 20 yrs ago. Although we modified our AS with tank heaters and a larger furnace, what we didn't count on was the low rate of propane off gassing in the 30lb tanks. It wouldn't keep up with the furnace during really cold nights and would shut down the heat. We remidied this by renting a 250lb tank that allowed more free space in the tank for off gassing.
Hi

If you are living in the trailer, you have a "house sized" propane usage. Having a real tank that is filled by a truck hauling the gas in is indeed a really good idea. You should have enough supply to go for an extra week. That way a nutty cold snap / snow storm does not turn your trailer into an ice cube ....

(At least where I've done this, there also is a cost savings to buying the propane in bulk, even after the delivery charge ....)

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:02 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
I ave been running my furnace for the past 3 weeks in Ohio (checking a repair). It got to -9 and still kept my 25' FC at 65 the whole time. I would not worry.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:32 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
STAMFORD , Connecticut
This is hard to believe. To achieve 65F in a trailer when it is -9F outside, the furnace would almost certainly have to be running continuously. Let’s assume the furnace is rated at 19,000 BTU (mine is). There are 21,591 BTUs in a pound of propane. Let’s call it even and say that the furnace burns one pound of propane every hour. That’s roughly a 30lb tank every day. That’s 30 pounds of propane for 21 days (poster said three weeks), so that’s over 600 pounds of propane. Even so, I don’t believe the trailer can be brought up to 65F in -9F weather. Please prove me wrong because I would love to know how this is done so I can do it here in Canada where I have been for seven weeks and it really does get to -9 at times.
Justinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:46 AM   #50
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinfinity View Post
This is hard to believe. To achieve 65F in a trailer when it is -9F outside, the furnace would almost certainly have to be running continuously. Let’s assume the furnace is rated at 19,000 BTU (mine is). There are 21,591 BTUs in a pound of propane. Let’s call it even and say that the furnace burns one pound of propane every hour. That’s roughly a 30lb tank every day. That’s 30 pounds of propane for 21 days (poster said three weeks), so that’s over 600 pounds of propane. Even so, I don’t believe the trailer can be brought up to 65F in -9F weather. Please prove me wrong because I would love to know how this is done so I can do it here in Canada where I have been for seven weeks and it really does get to -9 at times.
I can attest absolutely that it is very possible to achieve 70-75F or more , even at -7 F. I did precisely this last week. I live in Toronto Canada, and we have a 2010 30 ft flying cloud. Last week we had a polar vortex and it was down to -22 celsius, which is around -7 F. Not only did I have our trailer at a cozy 23c / 73F with no problem, I took a nice long hot SHOWER inside my trailer also. it all works brilliantly, I am a witness to this. ...and NO extra supplemental electric space heaters either, just the factory built in propane furnace of course so it properly heats the water tanks below. oh yes... and no skirting on our trailer also. when its that crazy cold -22c, the furnace does run almost non stop, but when its milder it starts and stops as one would typically expect.

I havent winterized our trailer for TWO years now. All last winter i just left the heat on, hooked up to a standard 400 pound propane tank that gets automatically filled by delivery. We do not use the black tank, just a baggie in the toilet, and our grey water tank is permanently open so showers and sink water simply flows out. I figure if other people have a cottage and they leave the heat on there, its the same thing for us with the trailer, why not leave it on and ready to enjoy. That way also we can leave it fully stocked with food, condiments, fridge runs, etc.... nothing freezes ever.

My magic rule of thumb now, is to simply match in celsius our thermostat setting , to the lowest expected temp outside. SO at -20c our thermostat would be set to minimum +20c. or at expected -10c, our thermostat would be set to around +10c (I usually dont put it any lower than around 12celsius while we are not at the trailer)

Simply fill the fresh water tanks using a pair of 6 gallon portable water containers, and enjoy your life, shower, wash dishes, etc.

I do have a device called IOTA which sends a temperature update once per hour I can monitor on my phone, so I know I can see exactly the temperature, and if it stops heating it sends me a text msg alert also, so I feel safe that if something goes sideways I can quickly go and winterize.

Cheers
jschloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:26 AM   #51
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I'm another Airstreamer in a FC26 in Dale, Texas, southeast of Austin, who just survived the polar vortex that came through. My camp remained electrified, as it was on the same grid as a sheriff substation and jail (critical load). I reduced my interior temps to 65 degrees, and supplemented propane heat with a small 1500 watt ceramic heater. I used Reflectix insulation wrap on all windows, and all along the queen headboard. I also made a hanging barrier of a lightweight down blanket suspended from the overhead storage compartments. A 30 lb propane tank lasted about 3 days, and my water, gray and black tanks were all fine. The refrigerator condensate drain froze at the end point, and some water collected in the fridge. The challenge was finding a propane refill station - with all the local Tractor Supply propane fill stations "broken" you had to search far and wide. A propane company was out of power but refilled tanks from their truck with cash only.. $22.50 for a 30 gal tk. The icy road 30 mile round trip was exciting in 4wd, but make it ok. Would not have attempted moving the trailer, just too risky. I got lucky. Some towns are still without power today on 2/22.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3485.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	389214  
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
STAMFORD , Connecticut
"All last winter i just left the heat on, hooked up to a standard 400 pound propane tank that gets automatically filled by delivery. "

1. What is your propane consumption and frequency of refills? It must be a HUGE cost.

2. My 2020 front twin bedroom Globetrotter must have different ducting and insulation characteristics.

(a) The outside compartments are directly below the twin beds. I have added polyiso foam insulation boards, some carefully constructed Reflectix panels (but I highly doubt their effectiveness in cold weather), and I have augmented the weather stripping foam between the aluminum hull and the cabinetry. Despite all this, the draft coming from below and around the bed is still very noticeable. I have plans to redo the entire insulation and seal between the interior and exterior.

(b) The furnace is located at the dinette (rear) end of my Globetrotter. As a result, by the time the heat travels through the duct along the length of the trailer to the port in the bedroom, the temperature is noticeably cooler that the duct port at the dinette end. The duct and port in the bathroom is practically useless.

(c) An expanded note on Reflectix. If used properly, as advised in the instructions, and you leave a significant air gap (which is really only possible in a house application, it does indeed have some R value. However, I see people use this stuff all over their trailers and their boats in ways that are of little to no benefit, particularly in the cold. In fact, I see people placing Reflectix in their windows in winter and they are actually directing heat AWAY from their RV. Bonkers.
Justinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:44 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
I'm another Airstreamer in a FC26 in Dale, Texas, southeast of Austin, who just survived the polar vortex that came through. My camp remained electrified, as it was on the same grid as a sheriff substation and jail (critical load). I reduced my interior temps to 65 degrees, and supplemented propane heat with a small 1500 watt ceramic heater. I used Reflectix insulation wrap on all windows, and all along the queen headboard. I also made a hanging barrier of a lightweight down blanket suspended from the overhead storage compartments. A 30 lb propane tank lasted about 3 days, and my water, gray and black tanks were all fine. The refrigerator condensate drain froze at the end point, and some water collected in the fridge. The challenge was finding a propane refill station - with all the local Tractor Supply propane fill stations "broken" you had to search far and wide. A propane company was out of power but refilled tanks from their truck with cash only.. $22.50 for a 30 gal tk. The icy road 30 mile round trip was exciting in 4wd, but make it ok. Would not have attempted moving the trailer, just too risky. I got lucky. Some towns are still without power today on 2/22.
Congrats making it through the Texas winter storm.Being in a spot like you are, a big open frame gasoline generator would be great all season backup.Even if not needed, it's real peace of mind.
A generator around 3,500 Running watts ( like 4,375 Starting watts, like my new Champion remote start) should have a 30 Amp outlet you can plug your Airstream right into.And it's pretty quiet.
You can easily run 2 portable electric 10 Amp heaters like yours.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:48 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
Congrats making it through the Texas winter storm.Being in a spot like you are, a big open frame gasoline generator would be great backup.Even if not needed, it's real peace of mind.
A generator around 3,500 Running watts ( like 4375 Starting watts, like my new Champion remote start) should have a 30 Amp outlet you can plug your Airstream right into.And it's pretty quiet.
I got it for under $400, out the door at Tractor Supply last fall.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:41 AM   #55
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Toronto , Ontario
[QUOTE=Justinfinity;2464439]"All last winter i just left the heat on, hooked up to a standard 400 pound propane tank that gets automatically filled by delivery. "

1. What is your propane consumption and frequency of refills? It must be a HUGE cost.

Fill amounts and dates listed below. Contract cost is .55 cents/liters so basically Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb = $614 , so about $153 per month. Much less expensive than owning a cottage I'd think....? So to have a fully functional cozy heated and running water place to go for the 5-6 months of winter, for around $160 per month in propane.... not too bad. and if I skirted it that cost could be reduced even more.

Feb 11 - 242 liters
Jan 28 - 184 liters
Jan 9 - 275 liters
Dec 7 - 246 liters
Nov 4 - 170 liters
jschloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:22 AM   #56

Vail , Colorado
I just purchased airstream 22ft Bambi and I can’t get the heat to even run.
Propane tanks filled and I’m plugged in.
It only blows cold air and kicks on for 60 seconds when turned on then goes off
I have no idea what the problem is
I am in 9 degree weather in evening
Jandre73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Does the stove work? HW Heater?

The furnace is behaving normally — it goes through the start sequence but no flame is detected and it shuts down. Usually means yo are out of propane but you aren’t so something else is going on.

Is there a gas peacock on the bottom of your trailer underneath the furnace? If there is, try turning it.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote