Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Houston

Running a current subject on US90 route and feedback is great.

Any advise for pulling through Houston from LA on I10.

2017 27FB FC
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Avoid rush hours of before 9:00 AM & get through before 3:30 PM (unless it's Friday, then be through the west side of town before 2:00). I run all over Houston almost daily for work. My first choice would be straight through on I-10. Avoid the 610 loop, it's a hot mess most of the time. Beltway 8 is a toll road, and those extra axles will make it an expensive trip...
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cispook View Post
Running a current subject on US90 route and feedback is great.
Is that a riddle? Really, I don't understand that sentence.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
OP means he hatched another thread to address that other part of his route. I read it.

I agree with the poster above - as long as you are NOWHERE NEAR RUSH HOUR, straight through Houston on IH-10 is probably your least painful experience. Mind the sharp curves and lane drops through the center of town - it requires close attention and quick reactions at times.

BW8 tollway would be painful if you don't have a TxTAG or HCTRA tag (chip that allows direct billing of tolls to your credit card). So far, to my research, other non-Texas districts' toll chips do not work in our area. There is no reciprocity yet. So you'd have to be pulling through booths and paying manually... it would be worst than New England. Ugh.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
OP means he hatched another thread to address that other part of his route. I read it.

I agree with the poster above - as long as you are NOWHERE NEAR RUSH HOUR, straight through Houston on IH-10 is probably your least painful experience. Mind the sharp curves and lane drops through the center of town - it requires close attention and quick reactions at times.

BW8 tollway would be painful if you don't have a TxTAG or HCTRA tag (chip that allows direct billing of tolls to your credit card). So far, to my research, other non-Texas districts' toll chips do not work in our area. There is no reciprocity yet. So you'd have to be pulling through booths and paying manually... it would be worst than New England. Ugh.

Thanks everyone for sharing. We are going to shoot the straight through route and aim for 0900 timeframe.

Taking it a day at a time ... no hurry
Old 12-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
E-W thru Houston is rarely a problem in comparison to N-S.

Pay attention to lanes disappearing as you approach downtown. IOW, do NOT use the far right lane.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
E-W thru Houston is rarely a problem in comparison to N-S.

Pay attention to lanes disappearing as you approach downtown. IOW, do NOT use the far right lane.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins

I normally stay far right - I take that they disappear and become exits without notice. Do you have a recommendation

Txs

Old 12-02-2016, 07:36 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
You'll find that I-10 will add and remove that far right lane a number of times, often at smaller street exit ramps. Not exactly sure, but I think there are 6 lanes on the west side of town. I'd go with the third from left. That should be a stable lane and with lots of trucks around town, everyone is used to bigger vehicles... but they'll take your buffer space in front of you in a heartbeat.
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc View Post
You'll find that I-10 will add and remove that far right lane a number of times, often at smaller street exit ramps. Not exactly sure, but I think there are 6 lanes on the west side of town. I'd go with the third from left. That should be a stable lane and with lots of trucks around town, everyone is used to bigger vehicles... but they'll take your buffer space in front of you in a heartbeat.

Agreed. Lanes 1&2 also may peel off elsewhere. Lane 3 good choice. Stay alert.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Thanks to both you you - I'm shooting for the middle as described

Old 12-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Agree, stay on I10 straight thru Houston and tay in 3rd lane to avoid peel ofd's. they can jump out at you.

What are your plans thru Louisiana? I10 at mile 23 thru 24 is a night mare. Heavy cracks and bumps. Slow way down, it is not fun and causes horrible shaking.

Also, I10 from East Lafayette, mile 104, is cracky and causes porposing. I towed there and will not again. We slowed to 45 just to make it bearable. Then From Breaux Bridge, exit 109 to the Atchafalaya basin bridge is way bad too, cracks and wavy.

Only way around that is to head south on I49 to 90 then on into New Orleans. Nice scenic route if you have the time.

Just warning you, it is bad in these areas.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Oh, in a similar vein, and IH-10 around Orange, TX is a roaring disgrace - it requires a major slow-down and a lot of care. We drove 6,000 miles this past summer and that section of road was the worst over the entire route. I don't know what happened because a lot of new concrete was poured, but the last time I saw it, there were six foot weeds growing up at the margins of it. The new roadway never got completed for some reason.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
Agree, stay on I10 straight thru Houston and tay in 3rd lane to avoid peel ofd's. they can jump out at you.

What are your plans thru Louisiana? I10 at mile 23 thru 24 is a night mare. Heavy cracks and bumps. Slow way down, it is not fun and causes horrible shaking.

Also, I10 from East Lafayette, mile 104, is cracky and causes porposing. I towed there and will not again. We slowed to 45 just to make it bearable. Then From Breaux Bridge, exit 109 to the Atchafalaya basin bridge is way bad too, cracks and wavy.

Only way around that is to head south on I49 to 90 then on into New Orleans. Nice scenic route if you have the time.

Just warning you, it is bad in these areas.

Wowser ... we are looking to pull straight through Louisiana on I10. My planning includes stopping for an overnight somewhere in Louisiana that will allow us to pull out and through Houston to Schulenberg. We were going to lay up there for a few days and then drop down to Del Rio for our pull across 90 and back up to 10.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Oh, in a similar vein, and IH-10 around Orange, TX is a roaring disgrace - it requires a major slow-down and a lot of care. We drove 6,000 miles this past summer and that section of road was the worst over the entire route. I don't know what happened because a lot of new concrete was poured, but the last time I saw it, there were six foot weeds growing up at the margins of it. The new roadway never got completed for some reason.

Checking that out - must have run out of money 😂

Old 12-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
You know, I bought one of those new fangled GPSs and it tells me which lane to be in. Lived in Houston for a decade and pulled a boat though downtown often and it's best to be in the middle lanes.At 45 and 10, lanes peel off from both sides.

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
My GPS is old and prone to putting you in a dead end parking lot on a side street ... lacking room to smoothly depart. Ask me how I know that 😂