Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
The Woodlands , Texas
I drove Red Mountain Pass from Durango to Ouray with my 1/2 Ton and 31' trailer. My engine brake was working overtime. My husband had white knuckles because he was in the passenger seat. LOL Not sure I would do it if the weather was bad, but it was a nice slow scenic drive.
Air83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckerrick View Post
My wife and I are heading for Ouray (and possibly points south) in June with our 25' AS. Although we had planned to continue south from Ouray to Telluride and Durango I'm getting the picture from previous posts that driving that road pulling the trailer might not be the best idea. Does it make sense to stay in Ouray and day trip south without the trailer to see the sights? Originally we intended to continue on to Mesa Verde Natl. Park from Durango but now I'm not sure I want to white knuckle it over that road from Ouray to Silverton. Any advice will be appreciated!
I might consider going to Telluride and then taking 145 south instead of 50.
I don't recall it being that spooky but it's been a number of years. Another alternate is going east on 50 to Blue Mesa Reservoir and then south on 149 through Lake City. In any case, you'll cross a mountain pass, but not as spectacular as 50 south.
You want to see Ouray, for sure, but there's not a lot of camping I thought looked great (IMO). Take a jeep tour.
Go watch the glass blower make things, and he's happy to chat while he's working.
I like the "Centennial" campground between Ridgway and Montrose, others like the KOA in Montrose, and there's camping at Ridgway state park, although it looks like finding a level spot might be a challenge.
Keep in mind it could snow anytime on the passes, but I've never had it make the road slick, just wet.
Unhook and make the drive into Silverton, go to the saloon and see if Lacy Black still plays the piano. When I was there she told me she played 500 songs from memory, and she can play and chat all at once. Great burgers too.

A little trivia tidbit is if you take hwy. 62 at Rigeway, (towards Telluride) after you leave town look to your left. There's a 4 rail split log fence that runs for 7 miles along the highway. It's the Double RL ranch, owned by Ralph Lauren. I can't imagine how many acres. Millions?
I rode my off road motorcycle back in there (forest roads) and I got so far back I was afraid if I had an accident I'd never be found. I never saw a soul, but I did meet a few cattle on the road.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks, ya'll - lots of interesting and helpful responses. Happy Easter!
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #24

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
We live in Durango and have a 28 ft Flying Cloud. We have been both ways, and yes, going North from Silverton to Ouray is easier because you aren't on the edge of the world and next to the mountainside....you just have to relax, and go carefully as you stream along. It is similar to driving in Big Sur...but with much graver consequences.... never travel it in snowy conditions in tow!
bduthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
We drove that road several years ago and were not towing a trailer. That is the road that made me realize I'm terrified of heights. I'll never drive that road again and God Speed to those of you that do. I was on the passenger side and all I could see was straight down. When we saw the monument to the snow plow drivers that went over the edge - that just about put me over the edge. I would rather drive two extra days and take the low road
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:25 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I have never driven this route (550) but I think I would be good with towing my 28' on it. One tool I use to help with my decision is Google Street View. I did a complete virtual drive through the pass just out of curiosity and found there are a few scary spots but not something I don't feel confident with in my towing capabilities.

I noticed many 18 wheelers on this route which are much larger than I, so if they can do it, i would be confident I can too, albeit, very slowly and in good weather. This pic from street view was about 3.8 miles South of Ouray headed to Silverton.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	283540  
Old 04-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great idea, thanks for the suggestion!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #28
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Early last October, freezing temperatures and a pending storm drove us south from Ridgeway SP through this awesome route. 35 mph gusts and light sleet and snow met us on the several high passes and made it a bit scary but we enjoyed a great lunch at the Handlebar Saloon in Siverton. We had a light coating on our 25FC as we continued over the other two passes on our path to Durango and onto NM and warmer climes. Great fun and beautiful ��
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #29
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Ridgeway SP

Great place to camp!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0490.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	674.3 KB
ID:	283541  
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:25 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
For what it's worth, I've done that drive a number of times in a 27' motorhome towing a 15' car. Requires concentration, as others have said, but well worth it for the beautiful scenery. On the downgrades, I downshift and let engine braking do most of the work, so I don't have to use the brakes much. Looking forward to doing the same drive in my new F-150 and 27' International Serenity (both on order) someday.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:04 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Silverton to Ouray

We have made that trip many times with our '77 AS - 27'. We go early spring - Yes hair raising! Our last trip to take that route to Ridgway was two years ago - about 3 miles out of Ouray part of the mountain had fallen onto the highway - we were down to one lane with about 1' shoulder where it dropped a thousand feet.

Never again -- we now go over Lizard Head --
backflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:39 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by backflow View Post
. . .
-- we now go over Lizard Head --
You are referring to Route 145 south from Telluride to Rico, then SW to Delores and Cortez?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:32 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Thats it. Going by telluride-- Last year we were camped next to the police chief of Ouray -- he told us that in the previous 6 months several vehicles had gone off RedMountan road. We listened to his advice and went across Lizard Head Pass going back to Texas.
backflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #34
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
We drove the road from Ouray to Silverton a few years ago. A diesel equipped with an exhaust brake made hauling our 28' slideout a breeze. My wife thought the passenger seat's unimpaired views allowed her to experience the mountains as though she was a soaring bird riding the thermals. It certainly is a memorable visual.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Speaking or roads, in that area is Hwy. 141 which starts south of Grand Junction and ends about where hwy.62 meets hwy.145.
It's a hundred miles or so of a wandering, beautiful road through a canyon. Great condition, no scary parts, and no traffic! The scenery is outstanding! But we stopped at the scenic overlook where the marker for the "Hanging Flume" is (look it up), and spotted something in the bottom down about 200'.
Later we discovered it was a car upside down. Seems a guy failed to make the turn and vanished. There are guardrails and it's not narrow, so he must have fallen asleep or something. Getting the car out was impossible, so it was left to wash away.
Spooky.
141 goes through Gateway, owned by the founder of the Discovery Channel, and a good stop.
None the less, it's a "Don't miss" road if you like beauty and solitude. RV friendly. Pretty much the long way from Grand Junction to Montrose, but worth it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Beautiful Ouray, Colorado. Photos are late Summer / early Fall going South and East of town, making the climb.

The photo with the Airstream is on the south side of the Highway as you descend from the south exit from Ouray. It is along a clear cold creek and room for twenty trailers. It is Off the Grid Boondocking, but next to the two lane highway. I cannot recall if it was three miles, more... or less. You will SEE the road to exit and the 'Colorado River' or a 'Missouri Creek' on the south side. You can camp on the high beach gravel, or along a wide flat improved pullout for ten or more trailers.

The paved switchbacks are easy to manage and nothing to fear.

The Fall Colors are a very big attraction. Get there earlier in the season to avoid traffic and congestion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2470.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	660.1 KB
ID:	284323   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2474.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	601.5 KB
ID:	284324  

Name:	DSCN2476.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	501.6 KB
ID:	284325   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2472.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	690.9 KB
ID:	284326  

Name:	DSCN2471.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	457.4 KB
ID:	284327  
Old 04-29-2017, 06:23 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks, Ray - great photos and pointers!

Regards - Ron
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote