Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2015, 07:28 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Help with stops to Florida.

Now we have a few trips under our belts, we're feeling more confident but still clueless as far as the destinations along the way. This form has been so helpful in making the most from the time we spend in (and towing the airstream)

We're headed to Florida again in December and would like to make some good stops in the state parks along the way.

We have to visit family in Boca, but have almost two full weeks on the road.

Any have recommendations as to "must" stay campgrounds or state parks along the way?

We're ok with going out of the way a bit too...
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
On our way back from Florida this year we spent a night at the Georgia state park; Reed Bingham. Reed Bingham State Park | Georgia State Parks It was easy in and easy out but you can't reserve a particular spot, just a general reservation. It's assigned when you arrive, but you can choose from the available spots. There's a 375 acre lake so if you have a boat you can launch and fish or just ride around. (Fishing license needed) They have a nice playground and lots of room for running or walking. I think they have a senior discount at the GA parks, but it's a little odd because even if you camp you still have to have a parking pass for the park itself.

The showers and rest rooms are decent, I'd give them a 7 of 10. It was quiet when we were there. There's a decent amount of space between the sites, trees, fire ring and a table. They had water, electric and cable at our site but they have full hookup sites too (19).

It's on our list of places to stop for our next trip this winter. I have a kayak now and we'll be taking that down with us. If the weather is nice we'll launch.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park is a great place at Christmas time.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Manatee Hammock Park Campground Home
Nice park. A great place to watch a launch.

Bruce
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
We liked Skidaway Island

If you are coming down I-95, we enjoyed Skidaway Island State Park at Savannah. It is dirt/gravel roads as i recall and we didnt use the facilities but the sites are well spaced and in a pine/oak hammock in the marsh.

Coming from the North your Gps will have you take I-16 and then go through town. Its an OK drive, but if you continue To GA 204, exit 94 it is a nicer drive and not too far out of the way. It is the way your GPS will take you out heading south if the maps are up to date as part of that road is newly constructed. Reservations are not site specific but if i remember correctly you can reserve a site with sewer or without.

Al
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	246122  
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Depending on your time allotted for your travel, I have 2 places to recommend. One is just south of Myrtle Beach in Merrel's Inlet, Rt 17. The state park is Huntington Beach State Park. This park is on the water, beach etc. The second is Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine, FL, also on the water. As with all State parks they fill up fast. Reserve America is a good way to guarantee a spot. Reserve the sooner the better. Also it is a good source to find a campground by name or map. If you do not have an account with Reserve America and or Recreation.gov, this is a good time to set that in motion, well worth having an account with them. This gives you a record of where you are going and where you have been. Good luck and enjoy FL, just don't tell to many people how nice it is here, we are filling up to fast. Present company excluded, of course!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Fort Clinch state park, Amelia Island FL, the northeast corner of Florida. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Florida/South Eastern campgrounds

For us this is a timely post and we've made notes of these suggestions.

We've never traveled east of the Mississippi and are thinking of visiting family in SE North Carolina for Thanksgiving. We're considering returning via Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville and then I-10 west thru Pensacola, Mobile and N'Orlins. I would suspect this is prime Snowbird time and are are wondering if we need to make advanced reservations for our 1-3 day stops as we meander back to the west. We dislike timetables and reservations will force us to a timetable. What's the consensus of those of you who have traveled these locations at this time of year?

While I'm at it, any thoughts of taking I-20 east in November?
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Highlands Hammock State Park (Sebring), Lake Manatee State Park(Bradenton), Tomoka State Park(Flagler Beach), Anastasia State Park (St. Augustine)

Laura & Tom
Old 08-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Salt Springs Rec, WP Franklin and John Pennekamp are three we really like.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #11
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Reed Bingham and Skidaway are both on out list of places to visit. In the Savannah area, this is a nice campground: River's End Campground | Tybee Island RV Park & Camping

We were there three years ago. Lot's of family friendly things to do on Tybee. The campground is small, but they have full hookups and you're only a few hundred feet from the beach. By far, the cleanest bath houses of any campground we've ever stayed in.

Beware parking on the island, strictly enforced. You're only a few miles from downtown Savannah. Lots of great restaurants and plenty to see and do there. We went on a "ghost tour" of several downtown haunts. Great fun.

I-20 in November shouldn't be a problem (in a normal weather year). It's a good road thru Georgia. Last year in Alabama there was lot's of construction going on. I-16 is terrible in long spots, needs a bunch of work.

Enjoy your get away!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
You will have the best luck during the cold months if you stay north and/or away from the Ocean and Gulf when visiting Florida.

Along the I10 corridor would be a good choice.

Florida State Parks I can highly recommend along this route include: Little Talbott Island, Suwannee River, Blackwater and Stephen Foster. Thee Rivers was just ok but close to it is a very large Corps of Engineering campground (East Bank on Lake Seminole) just across the border in Bainbridge GA where you can get a discount if you have a National Parks Senior pass.

As with most camping, your luck will be better on weekdays and less so on the weekend. And you may have to switch sites during your stay. We stayed at four of the aforementioned parks last year and spoke with people who were able to get sites as walk-in's during the week but had to go to private campgrounds for the weekends.

As usual, you mileage may vary.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #13
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Fort Clinch state park, Amelia Island FL, the northeast corner of Florida. Joe

I agree with this one. We like the beach loop, and the surrounding area outside the park is wonderful.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 08-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Lisbon , New York
Stops to Florida

Skidaway Island SP, GA; Huntington Beach SP, just south of Myrtle Beach; Fort Clinch SP, especially the beach loop, Amelia Island, FL; Anastasia SP, St. Augustine, FL were all hits with us as we made our way to the Everglades.
Sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:54 AM   #15
SkiBumBouldin

1968 30' Sovereign
angelica , New York
As a former Florida native... all the parks mentioned above are outstanding. One of our favorites, though, is Anasatasia State Park in St. Augustine. So much history in the area; wonderful restaraunts and beautiful beaches.
jenbouldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is a little out of the way for you, but St Joe State park near Apalachicola is our favorite Florida state park if you like pristine beaches.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:35 AM   #17
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Fort DeSoto County Park, on the water in St. Petersburg.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Kewadin , Michigan
I would agree with others Anastasia SP in St. Augustine is a nice place to stay and close to the old town for a visit to see the sights. Other State Parks I would suggest are Gamble Rodgers (only park in Florida I can think of that has on the beach camping) and Sebastian Inlet. Both of these are in high demand so reserve early. If you can not get in at Sebastian Inlet, try just a few miles north of the inlet at Long Point, a Brevard County park. Savannahs is a St. Lucie County park near Ft. Pierce that is real popular with birders and has really reasonable rates.
Silver Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Kewadin , Michigan
Ice Man, I had written a rather long and detailed reply to you inquiry and then when I looked up at the screen it was gone!!!
Without doing it all over again I can suggest some quiet out of the way places to explore south of Tallahassee, Ochlocknee River (close to my place), St. George Island; and some nice state parks along the coast St. Andrews, Grayton Beach, Topsail, Big Bayou and Perdido Key. Ft. Pickens (national park) is a real nice place to camp near Pensacola and Buccaneer State Park outside of Bay St. Louis in Mississippi. If you choose any of those let me know and I might be able to offer more tips/advice. Happy trails.....
Silver Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Well

Your title does say "Help with stops TO FL"...with that in mind, of course I am going to pitch the outer banks of NC. If you head S down I95, then pick up 64E towards VA Beach, you are a short hop away from heading SE towards the OBX.
While it may be December, and not many folks around, it's the perfect time to visit Kitty Hawk and "First Flight". Heading further S along RT 12 is one of the most treacherous inlets on the E coast, and that's Oregon Inlet. Bodie Island lighthouse is next up, and then several towns further S, you can visit what I am all about, and that's the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. It is the tallest lighthouse on the E coast, and she is SO majestic. She's stunning! You can see where she used to sit, and the path she took to get to her new home. It's an amazing lighthouse, and yes indeed, it is a working lighthouse. It recently re-opened so you can climb to the top, and walk around her outside. The view is spectacular.
Further S down RT12, you have the newly re-built KOA ocean side, and Frisco Woods campground further S. If you camp @ Frisco woods, make sure you get a sight along their canal, or better yet, facing the sound. The sunsets are remarkable over the sound. At http://www.hatteraslandingmarina you can then take the free ferry over to Ocracoke Island, and visit the very quaint town of Ocracoke. It has tons of history. If your into anything maritime related, don't miss this island.
When leaving, you can take the Ocracoke to Swan quarter ferry, and yes they will put your truck & rig right on the ferry w/o issue. Once in Swan quarter, don't forget to go see our famous battleship, the USS North Carolina.
WIsh I had more time to brag about how great this state is, but if you've never been to the outer banks, treat yourself. Lots of fish houses where you can grill up some freshly caught fish. Yummy!
PM me if you have specific questions, I will be happy to help you.
Safe travels, and sea ya down the road,
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote