Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-25-2022, 10:32 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
ghaag's Avatar
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 356
Help with route from Jonesboro, AR to Ouray, Colorado

Does anyone happen to be familiar with the best route into Ouray, Colorado coming from Arkansas? In case it is important, I will be in Ford F250 diesel pulling flying cloud 30', traveling in late September/Early October.
Thank you in advance!
Greg
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,022
Blog Entries: 13
Avoid US 50 between Pueblo and Montrose. Just west of Gunnison there is road construction that closes the road outright 19 hours a day — you get three small periods to pass using a single lane with a “follow me” car (except on weekends when both lanes are open but slow).
__________________
Sorta new (usually dirty) Nissan Titan XD (hardly paid for)
Middle-aged Safari SE
Young, lovely bride
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:01 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
ghaag's Avatar
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Avoid US 50 between Pueblo and Montrose. Just west of Gunnison there is road construction that closes the road outright 19 hours a day — you get three small periods to pass using a single lane with a “follow me” car (except on weekends when both lanes are open but slow).
Wow, thank you for the heads up!
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:42 PM   #4
Naysayer
 
Boondocker's Avatar

 
1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,882
Images: 7
Best route?

Best. That depends a great deal on preferences. My strong inclination would be to run I40 to Elk City and then cut northwest up to Clayton NM. BTW, the city park in Dumas TX has overnight parking with electricity and dump station on a donation basis. From Clayton, take 412 to Cimarron NM. Take 64 over to Chama. Shoot up to Pagosa Springs and hang a left on 160. Turn right at Durango. and ride 550 the rest the way in.


You may be a bit early for the cottonwoods turning but it will be a fantastic trip in that time period.
__________________
Rodney

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt


Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:08 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
ghaag's Avatar
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Best. That depends a great deal on preferences. My strong inclination would be to run I40 to Elk City and then cut northwest up to Clayton NM. BTW, the city park in Dumas TX has overnight parking with electricity and dump station on a donation basis. From Clayton, take 412 to Cimarron NM. Take 64 over to Chama. Shoot up to Pagosa Springs and hang a left on 160. Turn right at Durango. and ride 550 the rest the way in.


You may be a bit early for the cottonwoods turning but it will be a fantastic trip in that time period.
Thank you Rodney! Any of this stretch of concern for what what I am pulling, my total length is approximately 50'.
Thanks again,
Greg
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:58 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 56
Million Dollar Highway will wet your diapers trying to pull 50’ snake around blind curves with no guardrails and steep drop offs between Silverton and Ouray.
__________________
2017 FC25FB
Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost w/Tow Pack
FAA Certificated Remote (Drone) Pilot
Amateur Radio Extra Class N5EAS
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
Genebuilder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Aerowood's Avatar
 
1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,270
550 or the million dollar hiway is for the most part a beautiful drive, but there are parts that are white knuckle with severe drop offs narrow with no safety rails. I have driven it several times with no issues other they my wife gasping with her eyes tightly shut.

If this type of road is to your liking fine take the 550 between Silverton to Ouray. If 50 is still closed west of Gunnison then you can take I-70 to Glenwood Springs, 82 from Glenwood to Carbondale, 133 from Carbondale over McClure pass to Hotchkiss, 92 from Hotchkiss to Delta, and then 550 from Delta to Ouray. Be sure to stop at Redstone if you go this way. A marble quarry is also at the foot of McClure pass, it's where the marble came from for the Tomb of the Unknown Solider. There are also a lot of wineries on the west side of McClure pass by Paonia and Hotchkiss.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Airstream Forums mobile app
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 56
One of our favorite things to do when we had “flat lander” visitors to our condo in Durango was to take them on a day trip to Ouray. If they were brave enough to look out the window and not curl up in the fetal position in the back seat, they were ready for a stiff drink by the time we got to Ouray. The return trip was even better. From Silverton to Ouray, you basically hug the mountain side. On the return trip, you are between the centerline and the drop offs all the way. Fun!!
__________________
2017 FC25FB
Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost w/Tow Pack
FAA Certificated Remote (Drone) Pilot
Amateur Radio Extra Class N5EAS
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
Genebuilder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:09 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
ghaag's Avatar
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
550 or the million dollar hiway is for the most part a beautiful drive, but there are parts that are white knuckle with severe drop offs narrow with no safety rails. I have driven it several times with no issues other they my wife gasping with her eyes tightly shut.

If this type of road is to your liking fine take the 550 between Silverton to Ouray. If 50 is still closed west of Gunnison then you can take I-70 to Glenwood Springs, 82 from Glenwood to Carbondale, 133 from Carbondale over McClure pass to Hotchkiss, 92 from Hotchkiss to Delta, and then 550 from Delta to Ouray. Be sure to stop at Redstone if you go this way. A marble quarry is also at the foot of McClure pass, it's where the marble came from for the Tomb of the Unknown Solider. There are also a lot of wineries on the west side of McClure pass by Paonia and Hotchkiss.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Airstream Forums mobile app
Thank you for you help! I will definitely take this route at least either coming or going (maybe both). I would love to take some pictures at the the quarry if its possible. I will try to time it so that I get to spend the night in the Redstone area.
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:13 AM   #10
Naysayer
 
Boondocker's Avatar

 
1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,882
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
Thank you Rodney! Any of this stretch of concern for what what I am pulling, my total length is approximately 50'.
Thanks again,
Greg

Again, as stated in my original response, preferences come into play here. I tend to be more adventurous than some in regard to where I will tow. Also, in full disclosure my AS is 24 ft vs your 30ft and a narrow body vintage (about 7 ft wide I think). In my experience (your mileage may vary) they post signs prohibiting towing well ahead of it actually being a concern. If the state doesn't say no then you are likely okay assuming you are in firm control of your rig. One reason I love my camper is I am not interstate bound. That said, my routes may not be for everyone.


**On edit: You can, of course, recon the route with Google Maps.**
__________________
Rodney

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt


Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Ken J's Avatar
 
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 1975 25' Tradewind
Posts: 3,468
Images: 14
I live in Durango - the way that I go is I40 through Albuquerque and up 550 to Durango - can go over Coal Bank and Molus or less hair raising over Lizard Head
__________________
1956 Flying Cloud
Founder :
Four Corners Unit
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:53 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member
 
greenflag's Avatar
 
2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 337
I agree with GENEBUILDER. We have been visiting family on the Western Slope of Colorado for fifty years. The Million Dollar Hwy is a white knuckler. When taking the southern route from CA, we go to Cortez. Then go over Lizard Head Pass. We are also fifty feet long hitched up. No issues taking this route. As long as you are in the Cortez/Durango area visit Montezumas Castle. Indian cliff dwellings with tours. They have a full hookup campground in the park, Black bears are around. So keep food secure. Fall colors should abound during your visit.
Have a great trip
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
ghaag's Avatar
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Again, as stated in my original response, preferences come into play here. I tend to be more adventurous than some in regard to where I will tow. Also, in full disclosure my AS is 24 ft vs your 30ft and a narrow body vintage (about 7 ft wide I think). In my experience (your mileage may vary) they post signs prohibiting towing well ahead of it actually being a concern. If the state doesn't say no then you are likely okay assuming you are in firm control of your rig. One reason I love my camper is I am not interstate bound. That said, my routes may not be for everyone.


**On edit: You can, of course, recon the route with Google Maps.**
Thank you Rodney!
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:37 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
ghaag's Avatar
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
I live in Durango - the way that I go is I40 through Albuquerque and up 550 to Durango - can go over Coal Bank and Molus or less hair raising over Lizard Head
Thank you Ken!
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:39 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
 
ghaag's Avatar
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflag View Post
I agree with GENEBUILDER. We have been visiting family on the Western Slope of Colorado for fifty years. The Million Dollar Hwy is a white knuckler. When taking the southern route from CA, we go to Cortez. Then go over Lizard Head Pass. We are also fifty feet long hitched up. No issues taking this route. As long as you are in the Cortez/Durango area visit Montezumas Castle. Indian cliff dwellings with tours. They have a full hookup campground in the park, Black bears are around. So keep food secure. Fall colors should abound during your visit.
Have a great trip
Thank you! I will check into Lizard Head Pass. I hope colors are great, this is my first time to try to see the Aspen trees when the leaves are changing.
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:52 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 56
Hmm September/October trip? Weather in the high passes (Lizard Head is 10,000’) can be dicey in Sept Oct with frequent snow storms. Plan your high pass travel carefully. I speak from years of experience in the mountains.
__________________
2017 FC25FB
Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost w/Tow Pack
FAA Certificated Remote (Drone) Pilot
Amateur Radio Extra Class N5EAS
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
Genebuilder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:48 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
 
ghaag's Avatar
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
Hmm September/October trip? Weather in the high passes (Lizard Head is 10,000’) can be dicey in Sept Oct with frequent snow storms. Plan your high pass travel carefully. I speak from years of experience in the mountains.
Thank you for the heads up!!
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:00 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 56
Having said that, the road from Dolores to Rico to Lizard Head Pass to Telluride and beyond is a stunningly beautiful drive. Spend a night at Priest Gulch RV Camp (If you can find a space), stop at Trout Lake and take in the views, spend time in Telluride and enjoy pizza at the Brown Dog. The Dolores River follows you a good part of the way. If you fly fish, many places to stop and drop a fly.
__________________
2017 FC25FB
Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost w/Tow Pack
FAA Certificated Remote (Drone) Pilot
Amateur Radio Extra Class N5EAS
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
Genebuilder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:11 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
 
ghaag's Avatar
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
Having said that, the road from Dolores to Rico to Lizard Head Pass to Telluride and beyond is a stunningly beautiful drive. Spend a night at Priest Gulch RV Camp (If you can find a space), stop at Trout Lake and take in the views, spend time in Telluride and enjoy pizza at the Brown Dog. The Dolores River follows you a good part of the way. If you fly fish, many places to stop and drop a fly.
Thank you for the ideas! I had just planned on taking my camera, but may throw my fly rod in now!
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
Aerowood's Avatar
 
1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,270
The Crystal river runs next to the road from Marble to Carbondale and ties into the Roaring Fork just outside of Carbondale. The Roaring Fork is considered Gold Medal Waters for fishing. So......bring your fly rod. A four weight is my favorite.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Airstream Forums mobile app
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
West Silverton to Ouray, Colorado: the 550 Highway Ray Eklund Boondocking 48 10-16-2020 10:52 AM
First major road trip to Ouray, CO Bgibbs On The Road... 32 07-22-2016 10:54 AM
Colorado Information Requested: Durango - Silverton - Ouray emdubyadee On The Road... 51 07-26-2011 03:53 AM
Colorado: Ouray to Silverton to Durango neil ervin On The Road... 9 08-10-2007 05:10 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.