Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2022, 10:32 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Help with route from Jonesboro, AR to Ouray, Colorado

Does anyone happen to be familiar with the best route into Ouray, Colorado coming from Arkansas? In case it is important, I will be in Ford F250 diesel pulling flying cloud 30', traveling in late September/Early October.
Thank you in advance!
Greg
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Avoid US 50 between Pueblo and Montrose. Just west of Gunnison there is road construction that closes the road outright 19 hours a day — you get three small periods to pass using a single lane with a “follow me” car (except on weekends when both lanes are open but slow).
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:01 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Avoid US 50 between Pueblo and Montrose. Just west of Gunnison there is road construction that closes the road outright 19 hours a day — you get three small periods to pass using a single lane with a “follow me” car (except on weekends when both lanes are open but slow).
Wow, thank you for the heads up!
Old 05-25-2022, 06:42 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Best route?

Best. That depends a great deal on preferences. My strong inclination would be to run I40 to Elk City and then cut northwest up to Clayton NM. BTW, the city park in Dumas TX has overnight parking with electricity and dump station on a donation basis. From Clayton, take 412 to Cimarron NM. Take 64 over to Chama. Shoot up to Pagosa Springs and hang a left on 160. Turn right at Durango. and ride 550 the rest the way in.

You may be a bit early for the cottonwoods turning but it will be a fantastic trip in that time period.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:08 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Best. That depends a great deal on preferences. My strong inclination would be to run I40 to Elk City and then cut northwest up to Clayton NM. BTW, the city park in Dumas TX has overnight parking with electricity and dump station on a donation basis. From Clayton, take 412 to Cimarron NM. Take 64 over to Chama. Shoot up to Pagosa Springs and hang a left on 160. Turn right at Durango. and ride 550 the rest the way in.

You may be a bit early for the cottonwoods turning but it will be a fantastic trip in that time period.
Thank you Rodney! Any of this stretch of concern for what what I am pulling, my total length is approximately 50'.
Thanks again,
Greg
Old 05-25-2022, 07:58 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Million Dollar Highway will wet your diapers trying to pull 50’ snake around blind curves with no guardrails and steep drop offs between Silverton and Ouray.
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
550 or the million dollar hiway is for the most part a beautiful drive, but there are parts that are white knuckle with severe drop offs narrow with no safety rails. I have driven it several times with no issues other they my wife gasping with her eyes tightly shut.

If this type of road is to your liking fine take the 550 between Silverton to Ouray. If 50 is still closed west of Gunnison then you can take I-70 to Glenwood Springs, 82 from Glenwood to Carbondale, 133 from Carbondale over McClure pass to Hotchkiss, 92 from Hotchkiss to Delta, and then 550 from Delta to Ouray. Be sure to stop at Redstone if you go this way. A marble quarry is also at the foot of McClure pass, it's where the marble came from for the Tomb of the Unknown Solider. There are also a lot of wineries on the west side of McClure pass by Paonia and Hotchkiss.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Airstream Forums mobile app
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:22 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
One of our favorite things to do when we had “flat lander” visitors to our condo in Durango was to take them on a day trip to Ouray. If they were brave enough to look out the window and not curl up in the fetal position in the back seat, they were ready for a stiff drink by the time we got to Ouray. The return trip was even better. From Silverton to Ouray, you basically hug the mountain side. On the return trip, you are between the centerline and the drop offs all the way. Fun!!
Old 05-26-2022, 07:09 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
550 or the million dollar hiway is for the most part a beautiful drive, but there are parts that are white knuckle with severe drop offs narrow with no safety rails. I have driven it several times with no issues other they my wife gasping with her eyes tightly shut.

If this type of road is to your liking fine take the 550 between Silverton to Ouray. If 50 is still closed west of Gunnison then you can take I-70 to Glenwood Springs, 82 from Glenwood to Carbondale, 133 from Carbondale over McClure pass to Hotchkiss, 92 from Hotchkiss to Delta, and then 550 from Delta to Ouray. Be sure to stop at Redstone if you go this way. A marble quarry is also at the foot of McClure pass, it's where the marble came from for the Tomb of the Unknown Solider. There are also a lot of wineries on the west side of McClure pass by Paonia and Hotchkiss.

Thank you for you help! I will definitely take this route at least either coming or going (maybe both). I would love to take some pictures at the the quarry if its possible. I will try to time it so that I get to spend the night in the Redstone area.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:13 AM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
Thank you Rodney! Any of this stretch of concern for what what I am pulling, my total length is approximately 50'.
Thanks again,
Greg

Again, as stated in my original response, preferences come into play here. I tend to be more adventurous than some in regard to where I will tow. Also, in full disclosure my AS is 24 ft vs your 30ft and a narrow body vintage (about 7 ft wide I think). In my experience (your mileage may vary) they post signs prohibiting towing well ahead of it actually being a concern. If the state doesn't say no then you are likely okay assuming you are in firm control of your rig. One reason I love my camper is I am not interstate bound. That said, my routes may not be for everyone.

**On edit: You can, of course, recon the route with Google Maps.**

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I live in Durango - the way that I go is I40 through Albuquerque and up 550 to Durango - can go over Coal Bank and Molus or less hair raising over Lizard Head
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:53 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I agree with GENEBUILDER. We have been visiting family on the Western Slope of Colorado for fifty years. The Million Dollar Hwy is a white knuckler. When taking the southern route from CA, we go to Cortez. Then go over Lizard Head Pass. We are also fifty feet long hitched up. No issues taking this route. As long as you are in the Cortez/Durango area visit Montezumas Castle. Indian cliff dwellings with tours. They have a full hookup campground in the park, Black bears are around. So keep food secure. Fall colors should abound during your visit.
Have a great trip
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Again, as stated in my original response, preferences come into play here. I tend to be more adventurous than some in regard to where I will tow. Also, in full disclosure my AS is 24 ft vs your 30ft and a narrow body vintage (about 7 ft wide I think). In my experience (your mileage may vary) they post signs prohibiting towing well ahead of it actually being a concern. If the state doesn't say no then you are likely okay assuming you are in firm control of your rig. One reason I love my camper is I am not interstate bound. That said, my routes may not be for everyone.

**On edit: You can, of course, recon the route with Google Maps.**
Thank you Rodney!
Old 05-26-2022, 11:37 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
I live in Durango - the way that I go is I40 through Albuquerque and up 550 to Durango - can go over Coal Bank and Molus or less hair raising over Lizard Head
Thank you Ken!
Old 05-26-2022, 11:39 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflag View Post
I agree with GENEBUILDER. We have been visiting family on the Western Slope of Colorado for fifty years. The Million Dollar Hwy is a white knuckler. When taking the southern route from CA, we go to Cortez. Then go over Lizard Head Pass. We are also fifty feet long hitched up. No issues taking this route. As long as you are in the Cortez/Durango area visit Montezumas Castle. Indian cliff dwellings with tours. They have a full hookup campground in the park, Black bears are around. So keep food secure. Fall colors should abound during your visit.
Have a great trip
Thank you! I will check into Lizard Head Pass. I hope colors are great, this is my first time to try to see the Aspen trees when the leaves are changing.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:52 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Hmm September/October trip? Weather in the high passes (Lizard Head is 10,000’) can be dicey in Sept Oct with frequent snow storms. Plan your high pass travel carefully. I speak from years of experience in the mountains.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:48 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
Hmm September/October trip? Weather in the high passes (Lizard Head is 10,000’) can be dicey in Sept Oct with frequent snow storms. Plan your high pass travel carefully. I speak from years of experience in the mountains.
Thank you for the heads up!!
Old 05-26-2022, 01:00 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Having said that, the road from Dolores to Rico to Lizard Head Pass to Telluride and beyond is a stunningly beautiful drive. Spend a night at Priest Gulch RV Camp (If you can find a space), stop at Trout Lake and take in the views, spend time in Telluride and enjoy pizza at the Brown Dog. The Dolores River follows you a good part of the way. If you fly fish, many places to stop and drop a fly.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:11 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
Having said that, the road from Dolores to Rico to Lizard Head Pass to Telluride and beyond is a stunningly beautiful drive. Spend a night at Priest Gulch RV Camp (If you can find a space), stop at Trout Lake and take in the views, spend time in Telluride and enjoy pizza at the Brown Dog. The Dolores River follows you a good part of the way. If you fly fish, many places to stop and drop a fly.
Thank you for the ideas! I had just planned on taking my camera, but may throw my fly rod in now!
Old 05-26-2022, 06:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The Crystal river runs next to the road from Marble to Carbondale and ties into the Roaring Fork just outside of Carbondale. The Roaring Fork is considered Gold Medal Waters for fishing. So......bring your fly rod. A four weight is my favorite.

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote