Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Stamford , Connecticut
Help planning our honeymoon

My fiancé and I are getting married on 10/13/13 and just purchased a '11 FC 20. We live in CT and are taking to spend 2 weeks traveling for honeymoon. We aren't sure due to the time of year if campgrounds will be closed so we are looking for suggestions from people who have more experience on areas we should explore. We were thinking if doing a loop through NY, MI, WI, MN then head south and hit MO, TN and up through VA and back to the northeast. Any thoughts would be helpful and appreciated.

Chris & Margo
Stream_tRVlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Chris & Margo,

Welcome to the forums and welcome to Airstreaming!

Just a couple of thoughts. . . The good thing about the time you will be traveling is that parks and campgrounds will not be crowded, and there will be few if any mosquitoes. The fall colors in upstate New York and (I highly recommend) the Upper Peninsula of Michigan should be at their peak. (Fall is late this year--the leaves haven't even started to turn color in northern Minnesota yet.)

The bad thing is, as you suggest, that many campgrounds will be closed, so plan your overnight stops well in advance and give them a call.

If I were you I would not try to cover as much ground as you have planned. Your itinerary sounds like a 3,000 mile round trip, which is a lot of traveling for two weeks.

This is your honeymoon--relax and enjoy it! I would plan on no more than 300 miles on every traveling day and a 2 or 3 night stay at each stop. Take time to tour the local attractions and make side trips on a whim. That's the joy of Airstreaming--to go wherever you want whenever you want!

Bring plenty of good foodstuffs that are easy to fix, plenty of warm clothes (it gets chilly in places like Michigan and Minnesota this time of year), and a good supply of Victoria's Secret wear and champagne.

Enjoy your honeymoon, and enjoy your Airstream!
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Many happy years for you!

We are over 37+ and still great friends, too!!!

Btw, if you are really doing it, it ain't braggin'. Texas Truisms!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Welcome fellow CT Airstreamers! Congrats on your wedding, your trailer and the rest of your life together!

I agree with the 300 mile daily target. If you figure an AVERAGE of 50 MPH (most highway, some back roads, some unexpected traffic, a stop or two along the way) that's 6 straight hours of driving.

A few suggestions...

Maine is beautiful, whether in the woods or on the shore.

Niagra Falls.

Quechee Gorge in VT is awesome. We just got back from a KOA there (Quechee/Pine Valley at White River Junction) - great people, very clean, full service and a short drive to the Calvin Coolidge homestead in Plymouth which may not sound like honeymoon material but it was fantastic and the scenery that time of year should be breathtaking!

Last, highly recommend Ithaca, NY and the finger lakes region. Beautiful scenery, great hiking, great local wineries on all 5 lakes, and the famous Moosewood Restaurant by Molly Katzen. We're not vegetarians but that doesn't matter - the food is great and folks are just plain funky in this college town :-)

Whatever you choose, you're off to a great start!

PM if we can e of any help!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Happy, happy for YOU! Download AllStays Camp and RV for your iOS device and you'll have the camping world at your fingertips = Allstays Camp and RV | RV Parks Campgrounds
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
With only 2 week and what's libel to come up you will be lucky to see 2 states close to home.

Yes a number of campgrounds to the north will close in Oct. If you have "All Stay" you will find those that are open later and even year round.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
A great place to stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream_tRVlr View Post
My fiancé and I are getting married on 10/13/13 and just purchased a '11 FC 20. We live in CT and are taking to spend 2 weeks traveling for honeymoon. We aren't sure due to the time of year if campgrounds will be closed so we are looking for suggestions from people who have more experience on areas we should explore. We were thinking if doing a loop through NY, MI, WI, MN then head south and hit MO, TN and up through VA and back to the northeast. Any thoughts would be helpful and appreciated.

Chris & Margo
Highland Haven in VA is a great Airstream only park. The people there are so friendly and I believe they are open year around.
Highland Haven
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermantic View Post

Highland Haven in VA is a great Airstream only park. The people there are so friendly and I believe they are open year around.
Highland Haven
Highland Haven is open to all Airstreams. You do not have to be a WBCCI member to stay there.

The park is open May 1 through October 15.

Only two pets are allowed and they must be kept on a leash.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
We just got back from a trip to Grand Marais, MN - beautiful! Anywhere along the North Shore Scenic Highway in northern Minnesota is beautiful and highly recommended. Now if you do get a chance to get to Missouri, there are so many beautiful places to camp. My favorite is Johnson's Shut-In's State Campground. A tragic situation a couple years ago led to the building of a very beautiful campground. The dam of the reservoir at the top of Taumsauk Mountain broke and millions of gallons of water cascaded down the mountain taking out the home of the park ranger (luckily they were not injured) and the campground. Ameren UE has rebuilt the campground and it is top notch. If you are into geology, the scour area unearthed rocks from 4 miilion years ago and it is awesome to see. Have fun and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote