Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Help- northern Wyoming roads & camp.

Hi we're thinking of going back to north-west Wyoming in September, and could use a little local advice on the routes up there. Specifically: we'd like to go from Cody to Lovell, and over to I-25, via Alt.14, rather than "regular" 14 through Greybull- mainly, I guess, to camp at Bighorn Lake, and visit Medicine Wheel Hist. Landmark. This going to be ok? no long, steep passes, or hairpin turns? Any recommended Nat. Forest campsites along the way, Pay, boondock, or otherwise? Also looking for recommended campgrounds in Teton-Yellowstone Nat. Parks, preferably on a lake or river. Ditto for Sheridan/Buffalo area. Thanks! -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Spearfish , South Dakota
Sorry, lots of long, steep pulls and sharp turns! The road from the Medicine Wheel down to Yellowtail Resevoir is referred to as "the Devil's Slide." I've seen flames coming off RV brakes going down it. The Medicine Wheel is at about 10,000 feet elevation and Lovel sits at about 3,800 feet.

The ride back down from the top (Burgess Junction) to Ranchester (on the way to Sheridan) is a nasty grade too. There are plenty of pull-outs there though and the views are outstanding.

There just isn't a way to get to the Medicine Wheel without pullling a nasty grade. Coming up through Shell Canyon might be easier though.

Good Luck!

Bob
Spearfish, SD
Ketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Spearfish , South Dakota
Oh, there are some spectacular campgrounds on Jackson Lake. Be sure you bring a jacket though, it gets chilly up there at night.
Ketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketchum View Post
Sorry, lots of long, steep pulls and sharp turns! The road from the Medicine Wheel down to Yellowtail Resevoir is referred to as "the Devil's Slide." I've seen flames coming off RV brakes going down it. The Medicine Wheel is at about 10,000 feet elevation and Lovel sits at about 3,800 feet
It's also called "OMG" hill; not for the timid.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
At the top that mountain a very wise man told me to use my engine and transmission when going down that highway, and save the brakes for emergencies. Otherwise I might not have any brakes if I had an emergency.

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' International
Belle Fourche , South Dakota
We just returned from a four day trip from the Black Hills, where we live, I-90 to Buffalo. Then over the mountains on Hwy 16, down Tensleep Canyon and north. We went back over on Hwy 14 from Greybull, up Shell Canyon, Burgess Junction and down to Dayton/Ranchester and I-90. We pull a 1983 31' Sovereign with an 8.1 Liter/Allison HD 2500 Chevy and had no problems pulling the grades. Going up from Buffalo we did meet an 18 wheeler coming down with smoke pouring out from his wheels and a Wyoming Highway Patrol car in hot persuit, talking on his radio. Hope that turned out ok. There is major road construction now between Burgess Junction and Dayton/Ranchester. We came through there on Sunday afternoon and had no problems, but we did talk with some local people and they said that during the week there could be delays of up to 20 minutes.
Keep in mind that the grade out of Lovell going up Hwy 14a is steeper than the other two routes. Some of the road appears to be rock bolted to the mountain side, although that may be just my perception. I've driven all three roads many times and by far Hwy 16 is the most manageable. Hwy 14 from Greybull up Shell Canyon is a beautiful drive, but twisty and steeper. Whichever road you decide to take, just use extra caution going down and I'm sure you'll be fine. By the way, Foothills Campground and RV Park in Dayton is nice and the KOA in Greybull is very nice.
310astream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
alrighty, then! I love seeing places like this, but am not willing to torture the engine/tranny/brakes on an otherwise perfectly good suburban just to get the silver cocoon up there. Thankyou for the heads up, that info does not show up at all on my Wyo road map!
OK- any other highways to avoid in this region, for the same reasons? I towed Powder River Pass last fall, but probably won't do that again, my engine is only a 350.
Any other advice for this part of Wyoming, including both Nat. Parks, is appreciated. Thanks! -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote