Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2021, 12:55 PM   #1
MSL
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Help! I'm Planning a Trip

We're heading from Massachusetts to Florida the end of March. After reading several posts, we're planning to go Rte 90 to Rte 81 to Rte 77 to Rte 26 to Rte 95 to Rte 301 to Rte 75. We're planning on 5 days, 4 nights roughly; 300 miles per day. This is our first multi-day trip to get to a destination, and we're somewhat overwhelmed. Because it's our first trip, we're thinking Harvest Host and campgrounds, but haven't found much in the way of Harvest Host locations.

Our nights are tentatively planned at:
- Night 1: Moyers Grove Campground, Wapwallopen, PA (between Scranton and Harrisburg) (330 mi, 5 hr 4 min)
- Night 2: Lee Hi Campground (behind truck stop), Lexington, VA (327 mi, 4 hr 53 min)
- Night 3: Carowinds Camp Wilderness, Charlotte, NC (254 mi, 3 hr 46 min)
- Night 4: Coastal Georgia RV Resort, Brunswick, GA (~ 25 mile north of Florida border) (291 mi, 4 hr 27 min)

The Harvest Host site seems difficult to use for planning (no on-screen map scale, no dragging of route, etc), so we started using RV Trip Wizard, which seems helpful.

Any and all recommendations for alternate places to stay, comments, thoughts on 5 days to get there, anything at all, are welcome.

Thanks in advance, Mark
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
We go to FL just about every year. Sometimes we go I95 but often we go pretty much the same way you have outlined.

Taking four nights to get there is a personal thing. From your origin it makes sense to me. We like to plan about 300+ miles per day. And sometimes we stop for several nights at one destination along the way to do some exploring.

Your plans look good!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I'm looking at the map and trying to figure that route 90 to route 81. Are you saying you're going to take 90 to Syracuse NY to get to 81? Or did you mean 84 to 81 in Scranton?

We've overnighted at Fort Chiswell RV park. In fact, we'll be there later this month on our way south. It's easy in and easy out, close to 81/77 intersection.

We've also stayed at Van Hoy Farms just north of Statesville, NC a couple times. Also easy on, easy off Route 77.

Even though these two campgrounds don't exactly fit your mileage goals, if you get in a pinch they're good options.

I've read Lee Hi suffers from road noise being next to the interstate.

Route 26 can be congested around Orangeburg, and getting on to 95.

Your planning looks good to me

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:01 PM   #4
MSL
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
I'm looking at the map and trying to figure that route 90 to route 81. Are you saying you're going to take 90 to Syracuse NY to get to 81? Or did you mean 84 to 81 in Scranton?

We've overnighted at Fort Chiswell RV park. In fact, we'll be there later this month on our way south. It's easy in and easy out, close to 81/77 intersection.

We've also stayed at Van Hoy Farms just north of Statesville, NC a couple times. Also easy on, easy off Route 77.

Even though these two campgrounds don't exactly fit your mileage goals, if you get in a pinch they're good options.

I've read Lee Hi suffers from road noise being next to the interstate.

Route 26 can be congested around Orangeburg, and getting on to 95.

Your planning looks good to me
Ooops, you're correct; I left out taking Rte 84 from Rte 90 to Rte 81, sorry about that!

Many thanks for your campground suggestions; might come in handy in a pinch. And thanks for the Rte 26 tip; do you do anything to avoid it?

Thanks again, Mark
Old 03-06-2021, 04:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL View Post
Ooops, you're correct; I left out taking Rte 84 from Rte 90 to Rte 81, sorry about that!

Many thanks for your campground suggestions; might come in handy in a pinch. And thanks for the Rte 26 tip; do you do anything to avoid it?

Thanks again, Mark
We have a lot on Hilton Head Island. We live near Gettysburg, PA. The debate for us is always between the 81/77/26 route vs 270 to DC, and 95 south from there.

I've settled on the 95 route. Every time we do the google maps it's ALWAYS the quicker route, even with backups, etc.

I've learned, DC early in the morning is normally no issues. DC on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon/evening, or during rush hour, is a definite NO GO.

So, even though 26 gets congested at times, when you're down that way, and not quite there yet, look at the alternative routes. My guess is 26 will still be the fastest.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Route Planning

Night 3: Carowinds Camp Wilderness, Charlotte, NC (254 mi, 3 hr 46 min)
Night 4: Coastal Georgia RV Resort, Brunswick, GA (~ 25 mile north of Florida border) (291 mi, 4 hr 27 min)

We have stayed at both of these campgrounds.
Carowinds Camp Wilderness had the bathrooms upgraded a couple of years ago, which was much needed. Most of the sites are level and it is an okay place. It is easy to get to, pretty quiet and fine for a night or two.

Coastal Georgia RV Resort, Brunswick, GA is a very convenient campground to I-95. It is also very close to several big rig - refueling stations. The bathhouse is super nice with a security code access. Most spaces are pull throughs and concrete pads. Very well maintained.

Both of these accept Good Sam discounts.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
I locate HH locations along my route, then input them as custom stops in RVTripPlanner. I copy the contact info into the comments section, so I can just refer to RVTP each day for the next few days travel. BTW, while touring Florida, make a point of stopping at the HH at the Tallahassee Auto Museum. Great stop. Room for many RVs.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
MA to FL

Hi MSL,

Sounds like a fun adventure! Some food for thought...you're pulling your 2nd home right behind you. All your creature comforts are right there behind you...eating, sleeping, and a bathroom. We leverage our rolling home when we're traveling from point A to B. We'll capitalize on rest areas along the way rather than stopping at a campground to hook up etc...

Our First leg from New Hampshire...
1. Rt 495/290/90 W
2. Rt 84 W
3. Rt 684 W
4. Rt 287 S - Crossing Mario Cuomo Bridge
5. Rt 78 W
6. Hamburg, PA - Cabela's Overnight

Cabela's has a giant parking area used extensively by RV's traveling through. There's even a dump station ($) available. Fuel and food options are prevalent in the immediate surrounding area. We fondly remember the first night we stayed at Cabela's on our first long trip to FL in 2016...there was a car show the next morning. We awoke to lot's of interesting classic cars arriving for the show. After a fun trip walking through the store, we checked out all the classic cars. Since then it's always our first leg destination to travel towards the south.

Depending upon where we're headed we've used both Rt81 or Rt15 (Harrisburg area) to head south. Both VA and NC have some beautiful rest areas right on the highway that we've overnighted in. Done the same at the FL border welcome center on Rt95 south.

Safe travels - Fun Adventures!

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #9
MSL
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
We go to FL just about every year. Sometimes we go I95 but often we go pretty much the same way you have outlined.

Taking four nights to get there is a personal thing. From your origin it makes sense to me. We like to plan about 300+ miles per day. And sometimes we stop for several nights at one destination along the way to do some exploring.

Your plans look good!
Thank you
Old 03-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #10
MSL
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
Night 3: Carowinds Camp Wilderness, Charlotte, NC (254 mi, 3 hr 46 min)
Night 4: Coastal Georgia RV Resort, Brunswick, GA (~ 25 mile north of Florida border) (291 mi, 4 hr 27 min)

We have stayed at both of these campgrounds.
Carowinds Camp Wilderness had the bathrooms upgraded a couple of years ago, which was much needed. Most of the sites are level and it is an okay place. It is easy to get to, pretty quiet and fine for a night or two.

Coastal Georgia RV Resort, Brunswick, GA is a very convenient campground to I-95. It is also very close to several big rig - refueling stations. The bathhouse is super nice with a security code access. Most spaces are pull throughs and concrete pads. Very well maintained.

Both of these accept Good Sam discounts.
Many thanks for the reviews and Good Sam tip!
Old 03-07-2021, 09:19 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
travelling south

We just got in (Florida) from Maine. We took the same route as you mention, including 84 to 684 over the Tappan Zee, to 287 to 78, etc. Our goal was to do it as fast as possible, so we did two nights. It was a marathon, but we felt it was safer. Our first stop was the Cabela's in Hamburg. GREAT place. Large parking lot for RV's, well lit, dump station, also horse corrals and dog waiting cages if you wanted to shop. We plan on going there again. Our next stop was a Cabela's in Fort Hill, NC. Not as friendly with signs on each post saying tow a way zone, although they did have a dump station. No other RV's around, and a sheriff's car parked in the lot. Quite frankly it was a bit creepy, so we packed up and went down the road to the local Cracker Barrel. I called first and they said they welcome overnight RV's, so we stayed there. There were 4 other RV's there as well, and we all got woken up early by the garbage truck! Pre-covid we planned our route to be able to visit other areas on the way south, and then we planned in January for July-August trips. We like to stay in state campgrounds so we search those first. National campgrounds are not so dog friendly. Once in a blue moon we will be travelling down the road and see a sign for a campsite and we will stop there.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:22 AM   #12
MSL
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
I locate HH locations along my route, then input them as custom stops in RVTripPlanner. I copy the contact info into the comments section, so I can just refer to RVTP each day for the next few days travel. BTW, while touring Florida, make a point of stopping at the HH at the Tallahassee Auto Museum. Great stop. Room for many RVs.
This is a good tip (entering HH info). And thanks for the Tallahassee Auto Museum tip; we won't be near there this trip, but good to know. Many thanks!
Old 03-07-2021, 09:24 AM   #13
MSL
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
Hi MSL,

Sounds like a fun adventure! Some food for thought...you're pulling your 2nd home right behind you. All your creature comforts are right there behind you...eating, sleeping, and a bathroom. We leverage our rolling home when we're traveling from point A to B. We'll capitalize on rest areas along the way rather than stopping at a campground to hook up etc...

Our First leg from New Hampshire...
1. Rt 495/290/90 W
2. Rt 84 W
3. Rt 684 W
4. Rt 287 S - Crossing Mario Cuomo Bridge
5. Rt 78 W
6. Hamburg, PA - Cabela's Overnight

Cabela's has a giant parking area used extensively by RV's traveling through. There's even a dump station ($) available. Fuel and food options are prevalent in the immediate surrounding area. We fondly remember the first night we stayed at Cabela's on our first long trip to FL in 2016...there was a car show the next morning. We awoke to lot's of interesting classic cars arriving for the show. After a fun trip walking through the store, we checked out all the classic cars. Since then it's always our first leg destination to travel towards the south.

Depending upon where we're headed we've used both Rt81 or Rt15 (Harrisburg area) to head south. Both VA and NC have some beautiful rest areas right on the highway that we've overnighted in. Done the same at the FL border welcome center on Rt95 south.

Safe travels - Fun Adventures!

Tom - S/OS #025
Good tips! Maybe we'll try the Cabela's on the way home.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
East Hills , New York
Santee / Santee Lakes KOA in SC is a very easy on and off I95. Great pull throughs on the lake.
milesinmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:28 AM   #15
MSL
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
We just got in (Florida) from Maine. We took the same route as you mention, including 84 to 684 over the Tappan Zee, to 287 to 78, etc. Our goal was to do it as fast as possible, so we did two nights. It was a marathon, but we felt it was safer. Our first stop was the Cabela's in Hamburg. GREAT place. Large parking lot for RV's, well lit, dump station, also horse corrals and dog waiting cages if you wanted to shop. We plan on going there again. Our next stop was a Cabela's in Fort Hill, NC. Not as friendly with signs on each post saying tow a way zone, although they did have a dump station. No other RV's around, and a sheriff's car parked in the lot. Quite frankly it was a bit creepy, so we packed up and went down the road to the local Cracker Barrel. I called first and they said they welcome overnight RV's, so we stayed there. There were 4 other RV's there as well, and we all got woken up early by the garbage truck! Pre-covid we planned our route to be able to visit other areas on the way south, and then we planned in January for July-August trips. We like to stay in state campgrounds so we search those first. National campgrounds are not so dog friendly. Once in a blue moon we will be travelling down the road and see a sign for a campsite and we will stop there.
So it sounds like all Cabela's not created equal! Good to know, and good to know about the Cracker Barrel. Many thanks
Old 03-07-2021, 09:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL View Post
So it sounds like all Cabela's not created equal! Good to know, and good to know about the Cracker Barrel. Many thanks
Cabela's are now Bass Pro shops.
The employees don't like the change up here in Washington State ( That was like 2 yrs ago)
.Im sure a lot of stuff is being cut out, besides their employee benefits.
B. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
Picking up I88 in Albany to 81 will save you me several hours. I can understand the draw to take 81 but the northern end of 81 in Pa is not my favorite. Itís windy ,mountainous and more susceptible to winter weather.
Iíve gotten away from taking 81. I find it better to go 95 and time it so I hit Washington in the off hours. If you are determined to take 81 you might want to look at i90 to i87 south to i287south in Jersey. From there you take rt 78 west to i81 south. That route saves you doing the mountains in winter.
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:43 AM   #18
MSL
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesinmyles View Post
Santee / Santee Lakes KOA in SC is a very easy on and off I95. Great pull throughs on the lake.
Won't work for this trip, but looks like a nice place! Making a note for possible future trips. Many thanks
Old 03-07-2021, 09:51 AM   #19
MSL
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Error in My Original Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1492 View Post
Picking up I88 in Albany to 81 will save you me several hours. I can understand the draw to take 81 but the northern end of 81 in Pa is not my favorite. Itís windy ,mountainous and more susceptible to winter weather.
Iíve gotten away from taking 81. I find it better to go 95 and time it so I hit Washington in the off hours. If you are determined to take 81 you might want to look at i90 to i87 south to i287south in Jersey. From there you take rt 78 west to i81 south. That route saves you doing the mountains in winter.
Sorry, I meant to include Rte 84 (from Rte 90) thru CT/NY and into PA to Rte 81. I had a terrible experience returning to MA from MD two Septembers ago; turned me off from Rte 95. I will keep an eye on weather and may end up changing plans. Many thanks
Old 03-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
The issue I see is your hours driving, unless you are planning to run 75-80 towing. I run 62-64 and average 50 mph or so with rest stops and 15 minutes to eat, longer if buying something to eat.
EDIT; Many trip planners assume 65 on highways and NO stops at all since they are designed for short trips
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote