Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Portland , OR
One of the tricks for backing up a trailer, I think, is pull up a little farther. A lot of times if you pull forward another 10'-20' before you start back you can straighten her out and have a better chance of getting those wheels where you want them. And lately, when I don't have a clear reference point, I'll put a stick or broom handle on ground where I want the trailer wheels and aim for that, it seems to help.
mytehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #42
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
There is an important lesson here for couples who travel. Both partners should know how to hook up the rig, tow, unhook, etc. even if one normally does all this.

What if one person gets sick or injured or some other emergency pops up? The time to learn is before something happens. You could start off slowly with a few lessons, practice sessions in a big deserted parking lot on a weekend, and learn the whole process painlessly.

The same goes the other way too. Hubby should know his way around the kitchen enough to prepare simple meals, clean up, do laundry, etc etc. Mommy doesn't need to get up out of a sick bed to see the place looking like the town dump after a tornado hit it.