Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2023, 07:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Ancient City , Florida
Heading out west in 2024 suggestions

Leaving Florida in April and then heading to Tx for family visit. After that our first Western travel in over 20 years. Glacier last weekend in June (hopefully) and Yellowstone early September.

Would welcome any suggestions on places to stay/visit. Would like to do a bunch of Fly Fishing, hiking and general old people tourist stuff People are optional.

Utah state parks most probable.

Thanks in advance
G8trwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 08:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Be sure to drive the Snowy Range Road that heads west out of Laramie, WY, one of the most beautiful drives in the West.

Tho not until at least late June, as due to elevation there is snow up there until well into summer.

Maggie
Old 12-01-2023, 08:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Glacier is the most beautiful place I've been.
I hated Yellowstone. But wait. It was August, roads under construction, no wildlife, crowded as ..heck, elbow to elbow on the boardwalks. Go in the "shoulder season."
I love Colorado, western Colorado, Montrose area. Ouray, Ridgway, Telluride, Silverton, Durango. Can't go wrong. RMNP if you haven't been in a while.
People are raving about Idaho. You'll be right there, visit Jackson, Wy and the Tetons; then hop over and tour. Seems like all our favorite YouTube families are seeing Idaho this year.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:13 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Ancient City , Florida
Thanks, trying to plot distances and driving from different base camps if possible. Need a bigger gas tank!
G8trwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
We went to Glacier this year just after the local schools started in August. Loved it. Terrible dirt Going to the Sun road, but I understand that will be fixed for next season. Stayed at the West Glacier KOA which was great. Unlike any KOA we had been to.

Then went to Yellowstone and had a great time. Stayed inside the park at Fishing Bridge. Tight spacing, but facility was good and inside the park is great. Since it was after school started, crowds were moderate, particularly if you get an early start.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Go in September-October. The heat in the summer is extreme.
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Glacier for sure; visit Banff Canada also if your up in that area and have the time! I am originally from MT; been doing Glacier since I was a little boy and I never get tired of camping up there. Campgrounds inside the park are boondocking; no power, and you need to get a reservation early if you want to stay inside the park. Otherwise, there are many commercial RV parks outside of course...just a bit pricy for RV camping. Canada same way, but as I tell folks: Colorado is very beautiful; Teton and Yellowstone the animals seem bigger and the scenery is even bigger; Glacier is amazing, but Banff Canada offers bigger still and even more unforgettable mountain/animal scenery!

As for Idaho, I agree that it also has many beautiful rivers and mountains to explore. We summer June-September 50 miles south of Jackson WY so get up to these places quite a lot with friends visiting. We are fortunate to be able to go to Teton and Idaho for day trips. With the reservation systems all the major parks are using now, you have to be on the ball to secure reservations very early, if you want to stay in any of the parks. They are still working thru issues with folks who reserve but don't show up; many times we have seen campgrounds in Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier with several empty campsites. They are working on ways to fix this problem, but not sure it will be any better this summer. Good luck!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 11:21 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Farmville , Virginia
Cody, WY

Cody, Wyoming, is a great destination town in NW Wyoming 50 miles from Yellowstone’s East Entrance. The Ponderosa Campground is located right in town about three blocks from the world famous Buffalo Bill Center of the West. There is a huge western art show and sale in late September. There are a number of beautiful driving tours from Cody as a base. Also, there are a number of National Forest campgrounds 27 to 45 miles from town. Two have water and electric (Wapiti CG and Rex Hale CG). Cody has great shopping and loads of wonderful dining opportunities. You could easily spend a week there.
HoffmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 11:32 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Yellowstone

Spent 3 days in Grant campground this past summer. Crowded but far more relaxing than the crowded Fishing Bridge. Grant is dry camping (without hookups). Being there after schools start is great advice. Tetons are beautiful. Have fun.
HoWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 12:41 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
2019 19' Flying Cloud
Madison, WI
Hello,
We did a trip last summer to Glacier. Arrived on first day the park opened in May. We loved the east side - less crowded, big views. The west side was beautiful too, but had more trees and less views from campsite. We drove Hwy 83 from Big Fork to Missoula - through the Swan Valley. It was a really beautiful drive.
paporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Western parks campgrounds will be jammed. Make your reservations ASAP. Most are 6 months in advance but some, like Yellowstone, are taking reservations now.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 02:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffmanP View Post
Cody, Wyoming, is a great destination town in NW Wyoming 50 miles from Yellowstone’s East Entrance. The Ponderosa Campground is located right in town about three blocks from the world famous Buffalo Bill Center of the West. There is a huge western art show and sale in late September. There are a number of beautiful driving tours from Cody as a base. Also, there are a number of National Forest campgrounds 27 to 45 miles from town. Two have water and electric (Wapiti CG and Rex Hale CG). Cody has great shopping and loads of wonderful dining opportunities. You could easily spend a week there.
And the lake area just west of Cody on the way to Yellowstone is also fantastic campgrounds.

As for Yellowstone…. we camped for several day on the Shoshone River in one of the campsites a few miles from the East Entrance and it was Wonderful! Disconnected and visited Yellowstone and avoided the crowded campgrounds in the park that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1637.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	439172  
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:36 PM   #13
Boba911

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Warwick , Rhode Island
Advice

I plan to travel this June - July for fly fishing in Montana. Will visit both Yellowstone and Glacher Park. I will be driving from Boston. Any advice on routs and rivers to fish?? Also best scenic routes to and from.
Boba911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
If you decide you want to do the Vancouver BC option, pm me. I mapped out and had reservations for a two week loop from the Portland Oregon area up through the Island....then covid hit and I had to cancel.

I did however keep my itinerary, and where I had reservations because we will do the trip some day. I would be happy to share my information with you if interested.
When I planned the trip I had a ton of input from Streamers in BC to guide my itinerary selection.
Bob
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 11:13 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
I don’t know where you’ll be in Texas.
The Bolivar Peninsula and Galveston.
Bentonville, AR- Crystal Bridges
Cody, WY- Buffalo Bill Center of the West
Mt Rushmore
Kansas City- WW1 museum

Avoid the Wall Drug Store and Deadwood.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:25 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
Willard Bay State Park north of St Lake City.
Old 12-02-2023, 12:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
We were in Glacier last summer. I highly recommend Two Medicine campground (picture #1). Of the campgrounds in the park, we visited, it was the most scenic and did not feel crowded. I thought Many Glacier was overrated, crowded and touristy when we were there in early August. On the west side we stayed in Apgar one year it was ok. As noted by many here you need to get reservations well in advance although they do hold back some sites for a week before - that's how we got the site in Two Medicine.

Note that Glacier now has started a timed-entry system if you go during the day core hours, you'll need a reservation for Going to the Sun road.

We much prefer the NE entry of Yellowstone in the Lamar Valley. It's not as crowded and lots of wildlife. We stayed at Colter campground (#2) near Cooke City, MT which if you can't get a site in the park was gorgeous and although first-come first-server, the hosts said it rarely fills up. It's a nice base for day excursions into Yellowstone. It's on the Bear Tooth Highway (#3), a famous and well-worth it drive.

We were also in Banff a few years ago and I second others here it's spectacular. I like the Canadian Rockies more than Glacier (CR more craggy) and the parks allow dogs on the trails (just saying).

One other note, we did the Utah parks including Arches in early June 2022. (Arches has a timed entry also - get one early in the morning and get there early.) It was 106F in Moab, so it can get very hot there even early in the summer. We stayed at Te-ah campground at 9K feet near Zion which was comfortable, not crowded, gorgeous, but no water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Two Medicine 2023.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	439189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coulter Campground 2023.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	439190  

Name:	Beartooth Highway 2023.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	439191  
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 12:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post

Avoid the Wall Drug Store and Deadwood.
CAn you expand on that..?
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 12:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If you decide to stop in Jackson, Wy., don't miss the "Museum of Western Art" just north of town across from the elk refuge. I'm the last person to be accused of being tea and crumpets, but I loved the place. It looks like a dilapidated old mission from the road, but from the parking lot behind it's all new. The food was great, all made fresh.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	art.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	439192  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 02:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
. Avoid the Wall Drug Store and Deadwood.
Aww… you need to see Wall Drug at least once! I’ve still not gone through Deadwood…

They’re just touristy traps. But still kinda fun…
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is online now   Reply With Quote